Can I trust the casting time?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by IblisTheMage, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Vdidar Augur

Put all those on a hotbar and tie them to a key.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  2. IblisTheMage Augur

Tried that, but somehow the rightmost slot blocks leftward, between hotbutton, spell icons, and buttons to AA... I need to see if there is a logic to it, but typically I only get the rightmost AA
  3. Vdidar Augur

I'm not sure. I have all my main stuff on two hotbars and several keys tied to different stuff with me mashing 1 2 and 3 mostly
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  4. IblisTheMage Augur

#Iwantthat
  5. Sancus Augur

If you want to mash multiple AAs in one multibind, put all of them in a macro with no pauses.

As an example, on my Wizard, I have a social called "Forces" with the following:
    /alt act 1154 -> Force of Will
    /alt act 1266 -> Force of Flame
    /alt act 1267 -> Force of Ice

With it set up this way, it will cast the spells when they're available and AAs during the GCD. You should be able to put all of your spells, one social, and one item in a multibind and have it work.

If you want to maximize your damage, though, I wouldn't multibind Force/Firebound Orb. With the former, you can end up with a situation where multibinding it impedes your spell casting. With the latter, there are situations where you're better off waiting a GCD to cast it.

I personally have like 5 multibinds (Vdidar can attest to that), which I switch in between on the fly based on the specific scenario. I do have a programmable keyboard, but I don't like using keyboard macros (at least on my Mage, I do sometimes use them on my wizard) because it can slow me down when switching multibinds on the fly.
    Vdidar and IblisTheMage like this.
  6. svann Augur

People should be aware that adding more lines in a macro costs time - even if the other lines are on CD. You can test this by making a macro that takes zero cast time then test it with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 lines. The more lines the longer it takes. IIRC its about 0.1 sec per line so 5 lines is a half a second.
    IblisTheMage and Tucoh like this.
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

I will implement this.

Quick question related to Orb-clicking:
    In my model, Force and Orb have the best DPS by far, driven very much by not having GCD, and because I gave them the same mechanics with regards to SPA and crits as the other spells. If those conditions hold true, then my reasoning was that no matter that they are castable during GCD, casting them as soon as they are up would contribute more to DPS. Is this reasoning flawed from your point of view?

I also have the criteria that I am replicating the keystroke on two other toons that are doing their best, so I need to be mashing something continuosly. I have several mashes already that replicate out, but currently they are designed around situational changes, not where I am in the GCD cycle... but I could of course just do that. The effect would have to be substantial, keeping three toons active is already a lot to keep up, and mobs go down quite fast already :)
  8. IblisTheMage Augur

And thanks, everyone!
  9. Sancus Augur

You never want to cast Force of Elements or Firebound Orb outside of the GCD. If both Spear and Force are up, casting Force and then Spear would use 3.75 seconds (including GCD) to do X damage, but casting Spear and then Force would take 3.25 seconds (including GCD) to do the same amount of damage. Firebound Orb, even though it's instant, can still slow down your weave b/c EQ.

If you multibind Force of Elements even at the end of your rotation, my understanding is it will still cost you damage by slowing down your rotation/eating up time. To quote Piemastaj (and Enkel has told me the same thing):
    The other reason to not bind Firebound Orb in a raid setting is that if you have Gift of Chromatic Haze, Conjurer's Synergy, or Beguiler's Synergy and Storm of Many is the next spell to fire in your weave, you want to wait until after Storm hits (notice I said hit - it actually has to travel to the mob and do damage to eat the proc) to use Firebound Orb.

Also, regarding your model, many things do not apply to Force of Elements and some do not apply to Firebound Orb. Specifically, Force of Elements is not affected by SPA 124 or anything else with a level cap (which are a lot of things) and cannot twincast. Firebound Orb is not affected by SPA 413 (relevant if you have Eyes of Life and Decay) and neither of the two can proc anything (MR, weapon procs, shawl proc, belt proc, etc).

Yeah I'm more coming from the perspective of how to maximize damage. If I was boxing 3 chars I'd probably just multibind the hell out of everything including Force/Orb. It'll cost you some damage, but that's kind of the price of boxing (not being able to maximize each char).
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  10. IblisTheMage Augur

This is golden, it will need to go to the wiki.

Thanks again.