Research Changes in upcoming patch

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Gidono, Jan 17, 2017.

1. RadarX Augur

These will be removed in a future update.
  2. Machen New Member

Before PoP launches on Phinny and people have a chance to scribe them?
    jagarr likes this.
  3. jagarr Augur

thanks. what about the hundreds of them that got bought up to flip for profit last night? =P i woke up to like 200k on my vendors, lol...

i can still scribe all the SOL spells except tomes currently. malo, torpor etc. you're removing them all?
    how about all that cultural? i mean the damage is kinda done already... these changes are going to directly affect every single character that hasn't yet scribed those spells or played with that gear. Malo is going to launch back up to 30k today.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

That's just dumb, to be honest (my opinion). All you have to do is wait 2-3 weeks for the supply/demand to even out. I think I bought KEI for 4k around 2.5 weeks after Luclin. If you have krono to burn and just can't live without a spell, then more power to you, I guess.
  5. Baldur Augur

Not sure why you keep bringing cultural into this. Cultural was there in era, these researched spells/tomes were not.

Unless there is a way to differentiate between the dropped version of the spell and the researched one, there's no way they can remove the spells.

The tomes are easy, they shouldn't be in the game period.
  6. cloud132 New Member

It would be nice to get more details on the changes made rather than this vague one line that says many spells recipes are being removed... Sour taste in my mouth after just spending about 100k to get my spell research up in preparation for PoP.
  7. jagarr Augur

dropped spells and vendor sold spells and researched spells are all different items. Upheaval for example... the dropped verson, the kunark quest turn-in reward and the crafted one don't even stack together. they probably lose those distinctions once learned, but i'm not sure.
  8. -wycca Augur

Just to clarify since PoP will launch in the interim, this will remove the actual tome/spell AND the disc/spell (ie from spellbooks and disc window)?
  9. Saimhann New Member

So much this. I am beyond annoyed at how this was handled. At the bare minimum this should have been done months ago before researchers spent 100 000 plat or more on this now completely worthless tradeskill. If this ends up as bad as we think, they can reset my skill to zero and give me my plat back plus an apology bonus for being completely incompetent.
  10. Machen New Member

I don't think they can actually do that... Never once heard of it being done and was told several times by GM's in the past that they cannot.
  11. jagarr Augur

I am gonna be pretty OP with the Ability: Enchant Dwerium that I scribed if that is the case. =P

It just seems like a real joy stomp. Phinny is about as hashtag NotClassic as a non-live server can get. Some of these changes coming in way, way too late don't make very much sense.
  12. Catashe Augur

Theres going to be no real way for them to tell a researched spell from a dropped one so your spells will most likely going to be safe.. It'll probably only be the DoN tomes
  13. taliefer Augur

so what rhyme or reason is there when determining if something "out of era" needs to be removed?

im assuming the main reason for this change is the DoN level 61 stuff. and yes, no argument they are "out of era." however whats the harm in leaving them in? they were added at lower level for a reason, they just happen to be tied to an expansion.

"out of era" does not necessarily mean "out of scope". the progression servers are a prime way to actually get use out of lower level additions they made to the game over the years, but never saw a whole lot of use due to the top heavy aspect of the playerbase.

i just dont get the compulsion to remove things solely because they are "out of era" when progression servers themselves are nowhere near an in era duplication of everquest. its almost as if you are going out of your way to limit the fun aspect of a video game.
  14. RadarX Augur

To clarify (which I should have done originally) this only impacts spells GoD and on both researched and memorized. It will not in any way impact research materials you may have saved.
    jagarr likes this.
  15. jagarr Augur

OK so we can still craft in-era spells that used to be lotto turn-in only on day 1 in POP? That is awesome and un-kills Research. Researched AND memorized, wow.. so those tomes and abilities will be able to be used as-is for now... until you patch them out? Meaning progression raiders will be using them to defeat POP content if the patch doesn't come prior to that?

P.S. Thanks for taking the time. This is pretty important for a lot of players. It sounds like you're just trying to eliminate spells and abilities that have no other source in-era besides research.
  16. jagarr Augur

just so you see it... perhaps a new precedent?

edit: quoted wrong person :(
  17. Baldur Augur

I guess the only question remaining then is the DoN tomes still in the game. What's happening to those still in game? Will they be removed before PoP launches?

What about the level 56 SK/Pally tomes that have already been scribed?
  18. jagarr Augur

He said researched and memorized so I guess the tl;dr is use them until the day you log in and they're gone?
  19. Catashe Augur

My god what PART of that is unclear.. It says they'll be deleting the Tomes out of peoples inventory and deleting the skills out of their combat abilities window... aka the DoN era tomes
  20. Zeatanas New Member

I guess I'm out the 30k plat I spent on my tome about a week ago. Oh well, I guess I knew it was a risk.