advloot filter settings

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by moogs, Jan 11, 2017.

1. moogs Augur

Haven't tried yet, so does anyone know off hand if the item filters are stored on the server or if they are only stored locally? I'd like to play on another PC once in a while but it's frustrating having to hunt down and copy certain files such as the bzr_char.ini files.

In the case that it's not stored on the server (booooooo), which file stores the loot filters?

Thanks.
  2. Tucoh Augur

They're local. I'm not sure where but when I reformatted (and didn't erase my everquest installation) I lost my advloot, so they aren't in your EQ folder (or it got overwritten somehow).

I'd also like to know where they are!
  3. Felicite Augur

snailish and moogs like this.
  4. Absor Developer

In the userdata folder, look for LF_*

The nice thing about these files is that if you've lost yours, you can get them from someone else and just change the character name. If you didn't change your EQ install folder, they should still be there.

LF_AG_Absor_beta.ini
    LF_AN_Absor_beta.ini
    LF_Nvr_Absor_beta.ini
    LF_Rnd_Absor_beta.ini

A
    Janakin, Fanra and moogs like this.
  5. moogs Augur

Thanks all.
  6. moogs Augur

Unfortunately, this did not turn out as expected. There were only 3 files per character (I think it's missing Rnd but maybe because I don't use that setting). I put them up on my Google Drive and then overwrote the existing files on my second PC. Started EQ, went back to the same zone I was in yesterday, and found that I had to recreate my filters from scratch for each character.
  7. Absor Developer

That's really weird. I admit this isn't a thing I've tested, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
  8. Nolrog Augur

That must be it. I checked mine and I had 4. Can't say why they didn't work though.
  9. moogs Augur

You would think it would have worked with those 3 out of 4, right? Oh well. Didn't take too long to recreate the filters for the one zone I'm farming at the moment. I'll definitely try again when I move on to something else. Separately, I know for a fact that overwriting the BZR files works.
  10. DinkumThinku99 Elder

Looking in my 'userdata' folder, I don't think the missing files should be an issue. Some of my characters who've never been in a group only have the 'LF_AN_*' and 'LF_Nvr_*' files, which are the only filters I use when soloing. Apparently the game doesn't create empty filter files; it just creates a file when it needs to store a filter in it.
  11. Lighteningrod Augur

It's about time *all* character files be collectively packaged and saved in "My Documents."
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I don't like programs deciding to add stuff to My Documents without permission. They are "My" documents and I decide what goes there.

I would be open to it using My Documents as the default, as long as when you install EQ (and as a setting in the LaunchPad) you have the option to change it to whatever folder you wish.

What would be good is for all files related to your character go in that folder, including the ones currently in the userdata folder. Additionally, the files that don't go in userdata currently, like:
    • eqclient.ini
    • UI_CHARACTERNAME_SERVERNAME.ini
    • CHARACTERNAME_SERVERNAME.ini
    • LaunchPad-user.ini
    • The various inventory files
    • Custom UI files
    • notes.txt
    • Any other file that I can't think of at the moment that is different from default installation.
    In other words, when you want to backup everything about your game that is different when you load EQ fresh on a new computer, you just backup one folder and copy it over.

So, with a fresh EQ, just add that folder, and it is exactly the same gameplay as your previous EQ.

If they wanted to keep it as the userdata folder, because getting permission from Windows to write to My Documents or another folder outside the EverQuest folder is problematic, that is fine, but one folder to rule them all, one folder to find them, one folder to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Raytan like this.
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Oh, in addition, create a custom maps folder inside that folder.

So, the current maps folder contains the maps that Daybreak has you download with EQ. Then the custom maps folder works like the custom UI folder, i.e. if you have a map with the same name in your custom maps folder that already exists in the default maps folder, the game uses the custom map.

Also, if you have a map in your custom map folder that doesn't exist in the default maps, it also uses the custom one.

This way, when you copy over the EQ "My Documents" folder (or whatever name), you also copy over your custom maps.

Do the same thing with your custom Audio Trigger files.

Basically, every single change you make to customize EQ for your character should be in one folder (with sub folders). All it takes to have the exact same EQ experience regardless of what computer you are using is to copy that folder.

Heck, throw in the Screenshots folder also.
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

15. segap Augur

MyDocuments is a stupid suggestion. That's were "documents" go by default. Not application settings. Not things that utilize multiple files.

You also run in to issues with eqclient.ini which is global for an install. Many people have multiple installs so that key bindings are distinct in each. Put them in a single location, and you break that. Although I'd love for keybinding to be saved per character vs. per install. Or different graphics settings for different installs or autologin for different accounts, etc.

A better suggestion might be them spending 20 minutes creating a simple backup/restore applet for your settings.
  16. Lighteningrod Augur

I don't really care if it's "My Documents" either but it's way overdue for the Easter egg file hunt to end.
  17. Lighteningrod Augur

Yes. You are right and every game and gaming platform that stores character files and saved progression for levels or campaigns in My Documents is stupid.
  18. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I did think of the issues with eqclient.ini. The answer is that eqclient.ini should never have been given settings that don't belong there.

So, split eqclient.ini to keep system information (like what graphics cards you have, or whatever) and move player information and character information to other files.

If Daybreak would do this, that might be an easier way and have a better chance to get done.

I doubt it would only take 20 minutes but should be much easier than changing the game.
  19. IblisTheMage Augur

Config files wish list:

One folder pr character, collected in a "character configurations", and freely placeable, so that I can put them in say Dropbox.
    Lighteningrod and Fanra like this.
  20. Brohg Augur

Are we doing wishlists for EQ file structure in this thread? Can please put the 1000s of zone resource files in a gd subfolder, so that only things that someone might look for are in the /EverQuest directory? And yes, /EverQuest/userdata exists already, that's where character configs should be.
    Janakin and moogs like this.