Anodyne Snare

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Lily, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Lily Augur

I'm having a really hard time using this spell. I can't see the target ring most of the time I try to use it. This happens in dungeons, open zones, and even where the ground looks flat.

Is anyone else having this issue?
  2. CrazyLarth Augur

3. Reht The Dude abides...

svann, moogs and Lily like this.
  4. Lily Augur

lol and lol

Yes that was also a typo on my part. Anodyne Stare
  5. Xikteny Augur

I usually (but not never) don't have problems aiming free target spells, however, I always play in third person. Do you play in first person? I can imagine they would be relatively harder to use, if so.
  6. Sindaiann Augur

This spell had major issues with elevation changes in missions from Skulk/Gribble and such. Haven't done those in ages but assume it is still the same issues.

Rock bridges - can't use because the target ring drops below
    Caves in Skulk - can't use because the target ring drops below

Just switch to beam of slumber/perilous for quick multi lock and Deadening Wave + Chaotic Bewildering to perma lock the rest.
  7. Lily Augur

I do play in first person, so I'll try it in third.

Beam and perilous have too long a recast time vs. duration of mez. The Wave line has 2 disadvantages. I can and have mezzed myself. And it's radius is not as big as Stare, so hits fewer targets if they are a bit spread out.

I really prefer Stare for most situations, but I've had terrible luck with it this expansion.
  8. gotwar Gotcharms

When you say most do you mean all the time?

Certain graphic options being set incorrectly will cause the ring to not appear at all (I don't remember which ones - super helpful, I know!). Even though the ring doesn't show up, you can still cast the spell. Note that this is different than the terrain difficulties described above - in those cases the spell can't be used as the target area will be out of range 99% of the time.

Playing in first person can also make it very difficult to place the ring where you want it.

As Sindaiann pointed out, there's some weird spots around Norrath where the target ring just doesn't want to work. They are few and far between, but they do exist. Would also echo at least one of his recommendations to make use of Beam if you don't already - it's ultra fast cast, usable on the global cooldown, and the duration is long enough to overwrite with Chaotic Bewildering before it fades. A literal life-saver in sticky situations.

To answer your original question, I haven't had any recent issues with targeting this spell.
    Sindaiann likes this.
  9. Reht The Dude abides...

I play in third person and i have had problems with this line of spells for years, just about any time i try to use it on a hill or in a depression. I just got used to using the tricks that Sind outlined as a work around while i find the right position to actually get a target ring to appear.
  10. moogs Augur

I play in first person view on a boxed enchanter and I usually have no problems with this spell unless the terrain is very uneven or there are obstructions such as walls. The Gribble missions are one of those places where the spells is sometimes cranky. I usually use it for pulling rather than landing it on top of a group of mobs already pounding my tank, so I have more time to target it properly.

For anyone playing on a single account, 3rd person is better for an enchanter because it allows for better situational awareness. I don't do it because it's kind of jarring when boxing.
  11. Lily Augur

By most, I meant not all the time, but most of the time. And most of the time (not all) when I cast it without being able to see the ring, mez doesn't take hold. What sometimes works is if I invis, get close enough to the mobs so I can see the ring, then back away slowly, keeping the ring in the same spot. I really don't want to use Beam in a dungeon, though I've had this issue in open areas as well.
  12. kizant Augur

Is this something you have to deal with often? PB mez/stun and single target seems plenty to me in the rare situation where you get more than 1 or 2 mobs in a pull. Unless you're talking about a particular raid event or something.
  13. moogs Augur

PB mez/stun have a very short duration and the range is kind of short so you have to be in the thick of things. They're nice tools as long as you're not boxing.
  14. kizant Augur

My experience with enc comes solely from boxing with my wizard. I used to play a monk but switched during SoF because they really are (or at least were) better pullers. All I use are BDB, fog, single target mez, and the occasional stasis to get singles pretty much everywhere. For me it's more reliable, quicker to do, and saves your spell gems for more important stuff. Although, I'm not above rune tanking and AEing when it makes sense.
  15. Fian Augur

I do find this discussion interesting. As an old school enchanter, selecting an area to target AE mez wasn't an option, so I grew up using mob target AE mez instead. It seems to me that the time spent positioning the spell makes it a slower cast. Now that I hear it has some UI limitations, it makes me want to use it even less.

As for self mezzing, it does happen, but it is pretty rare. PBAE handles most situations where you are in close, plus I have a macro that casts Bite of Tashani before the AE to make it basically unresistable. And even if AE mez does hit me, I resist it at least 9 times out of 10.

To be honest, normally the only AE mez that I have is PBAE on my spell list. All of my other spell gems are used for dps or single target mez. While I would love having 104 AE Mez up, I just don't need it that much. Now if the tank is pulling, and he likes to pull a crowd, then having AE mez up makes sense. But normally I am the puller in a group, so single target mez plus PBAE mez is all I need.
    kizant likes this.
  16. Sindaiann Augur

I tend to disagree with this, but that's the great thing about EQ. As long as the job gets done and done well, who really cares "how" it was done. This is also a discussion that has been had in these forums before :)

Stare has a ton of benefits imo:

6 targets vs 5. I personally key bind mine for ease and popping the target ring and find it very easy to place, even with mobs being kited (this is a key feature, 200 cast range from you with AE 30 range on where the target ring is placed/cast).

Offsetting AE 30 range so you can perma lock multiple 6 targets (not so common nowadays especially with raid events and dps the way it is). So this is just basically a technique where you group up 6 mobs in separate clusters and ensure they are 30 range away from each grouping to allow you to easily lock 6 mobs each in each cluster.

I don't have any issue with the target ring, except for those areas I listed above which I never go into anymore. All other issues people described sound like "possibly" not having something turned on correctly graphically, but that is a hard one to diagnose without actually speaking to the person.

I'll just leave the info here and let others decide for themselves. There really isn't a wrong answer to this discuss about which is better (Stare is better lol).

[45033/6643] Anodyne Stare Rk. III
    Classes: ENC/105
    Skill: Conjuration
    Mana: 1400
    Target: Target Ring AE
    Range: 200', AE Range: 30'
    Resist: Magic -30
    Focusable: Yes
    Reflectable: Yes
    Casting: 3s, Recast: 6s, Timer: 9, Rest: 1.5s
    Duration: 54s (9 ticks), Dispelable: Yes
    Max Targets: 6
    1: Mesmerize up to level 108
    2: Cast: Anodyne Stare Mindwipe (24% Chance)
    Text: You feel sleepy, very sleepy...
    Projects a hypnotic stare which mesmerizes enemies surrounding a location of your choosing. Each target has a #2% chance to forget its hatred of its enemies.
    [45034] Anodyne Stare Mindwipe
    Mana: 50
    Target: Single
    Range: 200'
    Resist: Magic -50
    Casting: 3s
    1: Memory Blur (100% Chance)
    Text: You are stunned by an overpowering stare.
    Has a chance to cause its target to forget its enemies.
    [42495] Type3 FC Anodyne Stare
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 3.3h (1950 ticks), Extendable: Yes, Dispelable: Yes
    1: Increase Duration by 6s
    2: Limit Spells: Group - Anodyne Stare
    Increases the duration of Anodyne Stare by 6 seconds.

[45002/6615] Deadening Wave Rk. III
    Classes: ENC/104
    Skill: Conjuration
    Mana: 1300
    Target: Target AE
    Range: 100', AE Range: 30'
    Resist: Magic -30
    Casting: 4s, Recast: 6s, Timer: 9, Rest: 1.5s
    Duration: 54s (9 ticks), Dispelable: Yes
    1: Mesmerize up to level 108
    Text: You are completely content to stay here forever.
    Causes your target and several creatures nearby to become subdued and unwilling to fight for up to %z. The spell works on creatures up to level @1.
    [42491] Type3 FC Deadening Wave
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 3.3h (1950 ticks), Extendable: Yes, Dispelable: Yes
    1: Increase Duration by 6s
    2: Limit Spells: Group - Deadening Wave
    Increases the duration of Deadening Wave by 6 seconds.
  17. Lily Augur

The discussion isn't about which mez to use. It's about issues using Stare. I've had the most trouble in FM and Kor-Sha, and to a lesser degree, the other zones in EoK. It's nothing about my settings, since it works fine in some zones.