One keyboard/mouse across 2 computers

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Vontod, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Vontod Augur

Hello all,

I recently started a second account on phinny. I have been using my laptop and desktop to control the two accounts, but was wondering if it is possible/against the rules to set something up, either with hardware or software, so I could use a single keyboard and mouse to control both computers. If it is, if anyone has any suggestions on either method, I'd be glad to hear them.

nfortunately, I'm not the spry kid I was when I boxed two toons in 2000, so my wrist is starting to hurt.

Thanks,
    ~Von
  2. Strawberry Augur

Your wrist hurting from simply holding a mouse indicates severe carpal tunnel syndrome. Maybe give your wrist a time-out before you end up under the knife, that should be more imporant than multiboxing in EQ.
  3. Troutfest Augur

I believe controlling both from one keyboard mouse would be allowed as long as you dont send to both machines at the same time. That said, something like a nostromo pad or programmable mouse set next to your main keyboard makes running a second machine much nicer.
  4. Roxxanna Augur

I tried to do something like this for my 3 pc setup, nothing worked reliably unless you want to purchase 3rd party software (which I won't do). I found it much easier to buy a couple small usb keypads and set them next to my main pc, and 2 small mice. You'd be surprised what a few macros/hotkeys/multibinds on those keypads can accomplish. Less headache, much cheaper, very effective.
    tuda likes this.
  5. Renshu Augur

6. Hdizzle Augur

YEAH stop playing EQ wrong! (Lol ^ hates boxing.)

Just ask someone who has a few toons on auto follow how they do it. Or Renshu's Link works.
  7. halfpint77 Lorekeeper

I cant say if its against the ToS or EULA but, it is a pretty easy solution. https://symless.com/synergy/
  8. Tucoh Augur

Not sure what your particular use case is, but you can also run multiple instances of EQ on one PC pretty easily. I run 6 on one PC.
  9. halfpint77 Lorekeeper

I think he is trying to play on phinny. That's the only reason I can think of someone not playing with multiple instances on one PC.
    Tucoh likes this.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

Here's another vote for Synergy. It works very well. It shouldn't be against the TOS or EULA because it still only allows you to control one PC at a time. It's simply a software KM (no V).
  11. Illusory Augur

Your best bet would be to ask DBG support if you are allowed to use Synergy or any KVM style software while playing on Phinigel. That way you have it in writing if they suspect you of foul play.

My guess is that it's not allowed, but I would definitely ask before you invest.
  12. Lungvin Lorekeeper

i think it is allowed. after all he is using one computer per account. That is all that is needed. I mean all this program is is a shortcut from actually unplugging the keyboard and mouse from pc 1 and hooking it up to pc two.
  13. Illusory Augur

Its your account, do whatever you wanna do. Me? I'd get an official word.... That's all I'm saying.
  14. Atabishi Augur

Seamless softwares are not 3rd party programs that inject in to EQ and their purpose have nothing to do with EQ at all. You still need a computer and monitor for each individual account and you still have to play each character individually, so it is well within the rules of true box. Even if it were some how considered against the rules (which it is not) there would be absolutely no way to police it. Someone boxing with 3 keyboards/mice looks the same as someone boxing on seamless and because it does not inject in to EQ or use any EQ files to run, there is absolutely no way DBG could tell if you were using it or not. Some seamless softwares do come with a broadcast mode, which I'll agree on this one that it's questionable if that is allowed or not, but if you can have some self control and not use it, you'll be fine as it is easy to catch someone using broadcast.

Also I would not suggest using KVM unless all your PC's are of higher end, or you will probably run in to issues.
  15. Machen New Member

If it were only that easy. People have been asking this question ever since Phinigel launched, and no one from DBG has ever given a definitive answer.
  16. Critts Augur

Windows has a free program that can link computers together allowing mouse use from one input. I think the program is called Teloport. There is also a hybrid mouse out there that allows you to toggle between wireless and wired control allowing you to hit a button on the mouse to switch in between two computers. I personal just use alt tab. I'm unsure about how you would get a keyboard to do the same.
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/ELECOM-MMO-Ga...3A8659feed1590a2a474fef3eaffc12eae%7Ciid%3A22

http://www.keyboard-and-mouse-sharing.com/teleport-windows.htm

Keep in mind I have not used either of these. I was looking at the mouse but decided to just keep my current set up alt taking on one computer while useing the other for communication etc.
  17. puppypaws New Member

If you look under the hotkey tab in synergy it will allow you to broadcast key strokes to all connected PCs.
  18. Illusory Augur

Yeah, it's kind of crappy and that's why I wouldn't use anything related to screen sharing, software kvm, or the like... It's just not worth the risk IMO.

Given that feature, I believe that would make syngegy illegal or use it at your own risk.
  19. Kaponen Lorekeeper

Mouse without borders
  20. Guzzle Augur

I currently use mouse without borders, but have been searching for something else. Does Synergy have any issues with mouse look? In MWB, mouse look is terribly sensitive and I have to turn mouse sensitivity way down and even then it's not good... Any feedback?