New Player with some questions

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Soronus, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Soronus Journeyman

Hello there. The last time I played EQ was EQOA for the PS2. I'm hoping EQPC will impress me and recapture some missing MMO magic. Any help on these questions would be appreciated, thank you.

1. Can I have background music playing consistently? I am in the mines, and it's pretty silent. Is the frequency of BGM change depending on the area? I like having BGM set the RPG environment mood for me.

2. Can I change the order of buttons on the Window Selector?

3. Will both of the default chat windows do? Is there any advice here?

4. I noticed on a few of the character select choices, they all start on the new Dragon area? Is that in line with a new expansion, or do people begin in different areas?

5. Can I move the task tracking window to the right side instead of the left? (not the quest journal, but the other one)

6. My inventory screen has 10 item slots? Is there a bag button I might be missing?

7. I rolled on the RP realm, but I don't RP often. I consider myself mature and won't offend and I do enjoy lore, but will I be frowned upon in groups for using OOC terms like pulling/gratz/ding etc?
  2. Raytan Augur

1. If you click the blue EQ button and select options, you can make changes to various things, including sound volume, music, etc. There are numerous filters settings you can adjust in options. You can also check the "Keys" tab in options to see how to open and close various windows, you can also change the keys to do this if you like. There are also quick ways to open and close windows from the blue EQ button.

2. No, you can't change the windows selector buttons, but using Hot Keys and the blue EQ button, you can open and close all windows. Once you learn these, you can close the windows selector window.

3. If you right click on the top of the chat windows you will see a drop down window and various filters. You can send various in game messages to the window of your choice. For example you can have group chat in one window, combat in another, tells in another, etc. One of your choices when right clicking the top of your main chat window is to create a new chat window. You can have as many as you like, position them where you want, and size them as you like. You can also modify their normal shading and the shading when your mouse moves over them.

4. All characters by default now start in Crescent Reach. However, when creating a new character, you can change the default from Crescent Reach to that race's normal starting city. The starting location should have a drop down list, similar to the religion you want.

5. You can move all the windows, hot bars, spell gems, etc, to where you like. If you can not move a window, right click on the top of it and see if it's locked. Unlock it move and size a window, lock it so you don't do this by accident.

6. Your inventory will only have 10 slots, but you can stick bags in each of those slots and fill up the bags. You should begin with one bag already. Right click on the bag to open it.

7. I am not on that server, but I don't believe the population as a whole does a lot of RP'ing. You'll need tips from players there to learn about languages, etc. If you're on a paid account, you should be able to access the general chat channel for advice there. If you're free to play, I don't believe you can access the chat channels and will have to ask in OOC or Shout.

Hope this helps. After you finish the tutorials in Gloomingdeep, remember there are tutorial tasks in Plane of Knowledge to also help some, I believe the quest giver is Selena, or something like that. She's near the Loyalty Vendor, so if you find the Loyalty Vendor, you've found the tutorial quest giver next to her.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Leigo You come here often?

Raytan answered pretty much everything well enough.
    As for the RP server, you may run into a few that are into it. For the most part it's not a rule that you RP. However languages are used, the common tongue is High Elf. Learn that language asap. It will be good to learn others since some folks tend to use them. Generally asking in /shout for help learning high elf will get you help quickly enough or just make a highelf /ooc is not a valid command on RP server since it goes against the rule set for the whole server. So use of /shout is widely used.
  4. catcattank Elder

You'll be lucky to get a group on FV, currently early to mid 90s and the only person who has asked to group me did it passively by being LFG next to Gribble. Later on, he was still lfg for HA's.
  5. Soronus Journeyman

Oh, well I saw a few people in the mines. Who knows. :)

The tutorial is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Is it possible to kill the spider queen solo? She already got me once!
  6. Your_Ad_Here Augur

Unless you are a class with a cure poison spell, you'll need to grab someone who has it at the time or get some friends. That poison she puts on you is mainly what kills you.

Also, you should be able to get a Mercenary while in that tutorial. Do you have one?
  7. Soronus Journeyman

I grabbed a Cleric? She casts maybe 1-2 heals then she seems to go OOM, I think they only offer me a tank or this healer
  8. moogs Augur

Regardless of your class, go with the tank mercenary. He has crazy regen through about level 65.
  9. moogs Augur

Asking to join another player to group up is another great method of killing that spider queen.
  10. Soronus Journeyman

Will he hold aggro against me as a Shadowknight through those levels?
  11. moogs Augur

Yes, unless you're really trying to take it from him. Go easy on the darkness snare line and the spells that are designed to take and hold aggro.
  12. Soronus Journeyman

Thanks for the help so far guys. I have a few more questions, now that I'm out of the tutorial, if you'd be so kind as to oblige.

1. Inventory: A whole lot of items and I'm not too familiar with the crafting in EQ. In other MMOs, oftentimes the low level items aren't worth hanging onto. How about in EQ? Can I safely vendor random stuff knowing that there will be more efficient ways to craft later on?

2. I made it to the Plane of Knowledge? So this seems like a big network connecting the zones. I see in the zone guide level ranges, and it seems I can get to various places here. As it seems everyone starts at Crescent Reach (because of where the game is in expansion length?), is there various quest lines worth doing around the world, or is it more like, "pick a few for this character and pick a few for the next one"? In other words, is there benefit to going to each zone on an individual character?

3. The Guild Master offers me training of some skills, including my 100 Language skill. As I'm new and with little money, can someone explain the benefit of training in situations like this? I'm assuming for things like offense, I should instead just level through combat.

4. I can use Bow and Arrows as a SHadowknight. Is this a niche application, or is this something I should work on for pulling enemies?

5. I see a lot of talk about AA, and I read about Prestige items. I'm not 100% clear on either. As a current free player, am I at a character growth disadvantage here? (Is this a pay to win mechanic)?

6. I can't keybind spells, can I? The hotbar is for things like chat macros and targetting only?
  13. moogs Augur

Yes. Don't worry about it...you haven't looted anything of real value. But see answer 2* for more info if you want to be absolutely certain. I would just focus on leveling for now. However, if you want to see how crafting works, you can try the tradeskill quests in Crescent Reach. They should get each of your tradeskills to about 50 skill pretty quickly and will cost almost nothing.

You should have a book in your inventory, something about Hero's Journey. It's not a bad introduction to how quests work in EQ. Have a look at these sites if you want some ideas on what to work on.

http://www.paullynch.org/eqguide/
    http://almarsguides.com/eq/

*(In Almar's leveling guides you will also get a breakdown of which loot you can vendor and which might be worth saving for later.)

Only spend 1 point per Language and then raise them to max for free with a language leveling group. (Ask a friend or guildmate how this works. Languages are 99.99% unimportant though.)

It's a good way to pull enemies. Takes less time than casting a spell and it costs no mana to do so. You can use free summoned arrows from a magician to save money.

You'll figure this out after level 51. If you want to see what AAs are all about, press V. You can put experience into a separate XP pool and then spend points to enhance your character much, much further than by leveling alone. There are certain restrictions on F2P (I think you can spend 250 AAs) but don't worry about it for now. If you get a Krono or pay for 1 month of subscription time and enable the AutoGrant feature in the AA window, it will give you almost all of the AAs available for your character's current level. This saves months and months of XP grinding. Anyway, see how you like the game, maybe make a couple more characters and continue exploring and learning the mechanics, and then cross that bridge when you get there.
  14. Soronus Journeyman

Okay, thanks again for quick replies, and I'll check out those guides
  15. Soronus Journeyman

So regarding all of the content, is it safe to assume I can freely level to 50 before wanting to tackle the first batch of max level content?

I read that if I level too high, some raid encounters will kick me (Vox), so I should make a goal at 50 to work on networking etc?
  16. moogs Augur

There are only a couple of raids that have that mechanic (Nagafen and Vox) and it's an extremely stupid mechanic that lazy developers implemented instead of just changing the completely insane week+ spawn timers or making the epic quest mobs spawn as needed when turning in a quest item. So many people got screwed over having to wait literally years to complete their epics because only 1 person on a server could kill a single dragon per week.
  17. moogs Augur

Sorry for the mini rant. It's a sore subject.

To answer your question, there is no reason to stop at 50 on your SK. And you should take every opportunity to build a social network, even beginning in the tutorial zone.

/who
    /tell playername hi

Those are the most important commands in all of EQ.
  18. moogs Augur

Oh, one more thing. When you loot something and you want to see if it's valuable and the NPC merchant is offering a garbage price, the item might be worth something to tradeskillers. (The item will be marked as a tradeskill item.)

/bar or /barter will bring up an interface where you can make easy cash selling your extra loot. Extra animal pelts, silks, metal ores and the like tend to sell. The /bar command works on a Free to Play account; I just tested it with a gemstone.
  19. Soronus Journeyman

Thanks moogs. I decided to reroll on Bristlebane as well, and I do plan to get a AA account if my enjoyment continues.
  20. catcattank Elder

if you plan on doing some high end stuff which requires getting all the tradeskills to 300, you might want to hold on to a few things but some stuff won't be that much use to you while you're leveling so I would look out for the following to /barter:

Fresh Meat
    Natural Spices
    Fine Feathers
    Ethernere Essence (75+ HA drop)