AA Run Speed

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by karioki, Nov 2, 2016.

1. karioki Journeyman

Everything I can find online says that AA Run 5 = 50% increase yet when I look at the description of the AA it says that you get 35% increase. Are all the pages devoted to run speed wtong or is there something I am not taking into account?
  2. Gundolin Augur

As far as I know Innate Run Speed is 10% per level up to level 5 so yes the 50% run speed. The only thing I knew of that was 35% increase were J-boots?
  3. karioki Journeyman

If you select the AA Innate Run Speed and look at the description it says 35%. Perhaps that desription is wrong?
  4. Gundolin Augur

My guess is that was the original description when SoL came out and it was added to the game and it hasn't been updated since. To be honest I hadn't noticed that description. I'll log in tonight and look at it, does it say anything about additional ranks adding a further increase?

But if it was still 35% it would just be equal to J-Boots run speed. /shrug.
  5. karioki Journeyman

It doesn't talk about additional speed increases and the AA is at level 5.
  6. Riou EQResource

It is because the AA Innate run speed works differently to Movement speed buffs.

Dzarn the AA Dev made a post on Beta with more details:
  7. karioki Journeyman

I appreciate your answer Riou. However, it only makes sense on an abstract level. i.e. Run speeds are calculated differently. Bottom line is how do I compare run speed from AA vs Run Speed from various spells and potions. Still not clear how to do that. SPA 3?? SPA 271???
  8. gotwar Gotcharms

It very much makes sense. SPA refer to spell affect entires in the EQ spell code, or how spells do what they do. Dzarn changed the description for clarity, as he's been doing with many AA's (which is fantastic).

Since SPA 3 is only 70% effective compared to the SPA 271 used on run speed spell buffs, a 50% run speed increase (as previously stated in the AA description, and currently reflected in the spell data) is in fact only 35% actual movement rate increase (50*.7=35). The previously listed "50%" was misleading because players didn't *actually* get a 50% increase.

With a movement speed spell buff, you're getting the full run speed increase in the spell data (FoE @ 70% comes to mind, twice the speed of innate run 5). This helps to clarify the actual speed of various "gofaster!" things in EQ and makes everything more transparent :)

Edit: Oh, and to answer your actual question... if you want to directly and implicitly compare the actual % affect, you'll have to look at the spell data itself and see what SPA the affect is on. I would recommend www.eqresource.com 's raw spell data because it's kept very up-to-date and is in a handy, easy to read, SPA noob friendly format. You can access this by finding a spell entry on the EQR site and then clicking "Raw spell data"
    moogs, IblisTheMage and Rorce like this.
  9. karioki Journeyman

Great Answer Gotwar. Thank You!!! Bottom line is it is worthwhile making Philter of The Wolf for speed buff challenged classes.
  10. josh Augur

That's not what it means. The spells are only 70% as effective as the aa because the aa is applied at a different point in the calculation. The original description was incorrect in that it gave the amount that it would have been had it been the spell SPA instead of the aa SPA. The actual amount is 35% but since it is more effective they just listed it as 50% to avoid confusion since that's what the equivalent is for a spell

which means that in order to convert the spell run speed to the aa run speed you need to multiply the spell run speed by .7. so, the aa is 35% and FoE is 70% *.7 = 49%. so 14% more from flight of eagles. To convert aa to spell speed you would do 35% * 1/.7 = 50%. Which means it is about as good as SoW.

In the beta, most classes are getting bumped up to 45% or about 64%, and with the 5% from the journeyman aa that is 71%. so, faster than FoE speed. To combat this, druids and rangers are getting a new version of FoE called Spirit of Falcons, which is 90%

To sum up, it is in fact more confusing to the end user. as indicated by this question coming up more than once already. It's still not that confusing though, so just deal with it i guess.

Just for anybody who is feeling doubty i decided to test it. Running from guards to south wall in netherbain lair and then back for time number two.

Base run speed
    79.67 (seconds)

SoW (55%)

innate run speed (35% but 50% if you want to compare it to spells)

so, rough numbers, 79.5 seconds for base run speed divided by 150% run speed for innate run speed = 53 seconds. so just about bang on.
  11. gotwar Gotcharms

Thanks for posting this, Josh. I read Dzarn's post backwards and likely just added to the confusion. Oops! =X
  12. josh Augur

I decided to test the new bard run cap increasing stuff as well. I know some of this stuff has been done more thoroughly before but meh, i enjoy testing this stuff myself.

Then run speed cap appears to be 256%. determined by testing selo's time against the base time

base

selos

1/(31.08 / 79.67) is about 256%

bards have a new spell in this expansion that increases their groups run speed cap
    1: Increase Movement Speed by 100%
    2: Increase Movement Speed Cap by 4

Here are the times

selos accelerato

so the run speed cap is being increased to somewhere around 282%. I honestly have no idea where that number is coming from. I thought maybe it had to do with instrument modifiers, and it probably does, but there must be more to it as well.

Bards also have an aa that increases their run speed cap and with that and the song the time is

selos accelerato and aa

for a total run speed cap for bards somewhere around 295%. so, in summary, bards are real fast.
    IblisTheMage and Riou like this.
  13. karioki Journeyman

Thanks Josh. Have to revisit the bottom line of there being value in SoW for speed buff challenged classes. It appears it is only worth it until a toon is invested in all 5 AA points for innate run speed.
  14. Grove Augur

15. Mukkul Augur

The AA rank descriptions in game are wrong, and the comments in here about run 5 being 35% are all horse crap. A character with Run 5 does, in fact, run 50% faster than a level 1 newb runs (1.5 times as fast). I've checked run speeds in game using a stopwatch and locs running straight north or south.

Run 1 = 10%
    Run 2 = 20%
    Run 3 = 30%
    Run 4 = 40%
    Run 5 = 50%
    Run 6 = 57% (Empires of Kunark, cost 40 AA)
    Run 7 = 65% (Empires of Kunark, cost 60 AA)

Some classes (bards, monks, rangers, rogues) get additional ranks after rank 5 which makes their total speeds higher.
  16. mackal Augur

The descriptions were changed so it's easier to compare to run speed buffs. You are right about it being a 50% increase, but it should be the same increase as a 35% normal run speed buff ;)
  17. Mukkul Augur

No, a 50% AA run speed increase is the same as a 50% run speed buff. The spell speeds are accurate. Although Lucy's numbers are messed up lately, one of their calculations is showing double what it should be. Lucy needs to fix its display, and EverQuest needs to fix their AA descriptions.
  18. mackal Augur

Devs said SPA 3 and SPA 271 are not directly comparable (which is why there existed an old stacking bug where higher SPA 3 than SPA 271 could cause the SPA 3 buff to block your bonus from SPA 271 even though SPA 271 would of resulted in a higher run speed)

So devs have said 50 SPA 271 DOES NOT EQUAL 50 SPA 3. I will trust the devs.
  19. IblisTheMage Augur

I got the bards are fast part.
    Saman and moogs like this.
  20. josh Augur

I could understand there being a new thread about this and people confused in it but literally in this very thread i explain how it all relates. If you want to know how good your aa run speed is you divide the percentage by .7. so a 35% run speed divided by .7 = 50%. a 45% run speed divided by .7 is 64. and as mackal said, this is because the aa run speed SPA is applied differently than the spell run speed SPA. It is a 35% increase to something unspecified (the aa says base run speed but since we don't have the formula we can't really say what that means exactly), and increasing that by 35% increases your run speed by 50%.

The 35% isn't wrong, it's just misleading.

This has been tested, and before anybody says it, nothing a dev said contradicts what I've said. If you think it does you read what the dev said wrong. Go find and reread that post.

with innate run speed 7 and journeymans 6, my aa run speed boost is 55%. which means my innate run speed is 78%. which is pretty darn nifty.