Time for a new class?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Smak, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Smak Augur

I think we need a new type of class, basically a dabbler or commoner or whatever you want to call it.

A class that can use any and all skills or spells or weapons that any other character can use, but only up to 100 skill level. And limited to cloth armor only, or any wearable item that only mages, wizards, necros, and enchanters can use.

This would open up a whole new game for players that like to play other (games that shall not be named) that are skill based.

You could put some basic limits on it, such as only allowing 6 spell gems maximum. And only allowing 6 ability hotkeys, with a long refresh time on changing the ability hotkeys.

In the end trying to use high level spells from multiple classes would not be feasible since 100 skill cap means you would just fizzle almost every time.

But it could be a fun and interesting class to fool around with.
  2. Nolrog Augur

NO
    Slippry likes this.
  3. Act of Valor The Newest Member

If you don't think the developers shriek in horror when entertaining the idea of trying to balance a new class in Everquest 2017, I have, like, a dozen bridges I can sell to you.
  4. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

That sounds like an awful, awful version of this guy:

[IMG]
    Thraine and Minato like this.
  5. Dre. Altoholic

Hey guys what do these all have in common?
    • UI overhaul
    • New physics/graphics engine
    • Ability consolidation
    • More solo tools for melee classes
    • Spell system redesign
    • New 1-75 expansion
    • Epic 3.0s
    • Class balance
    • Focus degradation removal
    • New character models
    • New class
    • Expansion with more than 10 new zones
    • Expansion with more than 20 raids
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. blaydh New Member

Not sure what you are "dabbling" in, but it's about time to pass it this way, please.
  7. Gundolin Augur

I always thought this was the general original idea of the Druid.
    svann, Azbaelus and moogs like this.
  8. Smak Augur

EQ NEXT IS HERE
  9. segap Augur

People are looking for a game other than EQ?
  10. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I'm able to fantasize about any of these with aid of at least a pound of narcotics.
  11. Ahnanna New Member

EQ is basically in maintenance mode. I doubt you will ever see a new class or even a new race introduced into this game.
  12. Smak Augur

The day the music died...

I guess daybreak is coming, the day eq sunsets and everyone wanders out of the basement to see the sunrise for the first time in over a decade.

If all they do is cater to the existing max level group of raiding players, they will surely lose players over time until all the servers merge into one. Then run out of funds to make new expansions, and lose the rest. Its a given that over time some players move on to other things in LIFE. Over 5 years ago I suggested a system of servers locked at various expansions with the ability to move to any server with more unlocked expansions. If they had implemented that system they would not need to start new servers every once in a while, just allow players to migrate up the chain as they wanted to. And those who liked the alkabor lifestyle could era lock themselves at whatever expansion they chose to. If they did that, new players to everquest could always join the pre kunark server and progress through the content as they wished. And you could still allow players to do what is being done today on normal servers, powerlevel to 100+ and group/raid the newest content with "end game guilds".

All I hear about is how older progression servers just basically die off aside from one or two guilds that struggle on. Its all unnecessary.
    Caell likes this.
  13. Minato Augur

wut....
    Sancus likes this.
  14. moogs Augur

They just released a new expansion several weeks ago, so it would be far (100%) more accurate to say that EverQuest is still being actively developed. With a skeleton crew and on a smaller scale than years past, yes, but it is not in maintenance mode. Not that I care but they're planning to add at least one more server this year.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  15. Warpeace Augur

16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Actually I think the EoK expansion is a great one for group players.
    Bigstomp likes this.
  17. IblisTheMage Augur

I refuse to believe that EQ is a bad business. I smell profits when I try to wrap my head around the business model, basen on the few indications that we get. It is not profits like in the old days, but I believe it is a sound business, run by a very competent crew, that has as a business model to aquire and run older MMOs. EQ2 is significantly smaller than EQ1, and even that game gets new expansions.

I think that the reason we do not get items from the "dope-list" above is that there is no money in it. DB has to optimize fun for Invested money, and the stuff that they developed for EoK is all very tightly designed around that. It is all about prioritizing the wishlist, what will customers react most to. A new UI would be crazy, since it would attempt to position EQ on a GFX-differentiated market, of which the player base is way too small, the competition way too fierce, and players have actively demonstrated that they don't care.

DB will most likely favour developing content that delivers more hours played pr development dollar invested, while of course make sure that there is also an overall coherent experience and narrative.
  18. Azbaelus Lorekeeper

I certainly don't think the "dabbler" idea is going to "save EQ from the sunset". It would essentially suck at everything.

The driving force of EQ is no limits. Most people want to keep improving and gaining as long as they can. Which is what drives new expansions, raids, etc.

If you want to try severe limitations, well...remember shrouds? I think they're still out there.
  19. Naugrin Augur

Please no.

There are issues enough finding jobs for the current classes.
  20. snailish Augur

More to existing, improving existing... and consolidating existing to simplify the future development process I can see happening.

A new class adds complexity to development. Given the choice of a new class or Epic 3.0 the playerbase would (in my view) choose the 3.0. Given the choice of a level 110 Old Sebilis or the dabbler... Froak gets the vote.

Most of Dre.'s intentionally pie-in-the-sky list is pretty unlikely to ever happen. Granted offline trading was once on that list.

Some of us at least, would be quite happy to play some new race/class combos -especially if they can start in cities other than Crescent Reach. Some of them aren't even that complicated: Erudite Wizard of Cazic Thule out of Paineel for example. Something like Iksar Berserkers would be more work, but worth it imo.

The OP's idea... is more realistic if it were "character diversification through expanded AA" aka farming out more class- or role-specific abilities to whomever wants to pay the AA price. I'll take tracking, thanks.