Returning player couple questions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by shiner421, Dec 25, 2016.

1. shiner421 New Member

I am wanting to have a tank of some sort in my box group, however I am having trouble thinking of what would make a good 3 box group with a SK.

I currently am running a caster box group: Enchanter, Mage, Druid, and it has no trouble with the DH HA's (Except for named, my 94 earth pet cant take the hits)

I want to play a SK with something, I was thinking of these options:

1. SK, Chanter, Wiz
    2. SK, Cleric, Chanter
    3. SK, Cleric, Wiz

I am thinking #1 because I need the chanter to pull mobs in the DH HA's (Not enough room for FD Pulling with SK, at least in the beginning.

For leveling, since I returned I discovered that the DH HA's from Gribble seem to have the fastest exp, should I just grind those HA's until I hit 100, or is there a better / easier way to lvl up?

What are your suggestions?

My accounts are all gold status, and my toons are all heroic toons so that makes a difference.

Thanks!
  2. Kravn Augur

I would do like SK / Shaman / Wiz, that way your tank has shammy and cleric buffs (via merc)

I personally box SK / Beastlord as its essentially the same benefit, but boxing 2 melee is tedious( and Beastlords are very click heavy). With your setup the shammy and wiz you can macro key a lot of their casting so it makes them very easy to use.
  3. Roxxanna Augur

I'm currently boxing SK,Bzk,Bzk,bard and laughing at the absurdity of the dps. But in your case I'd choose SK,cleric,wiz, and perhaps add a bard later since it would be mostly hands free.

Gribbles to 105, it's boring but very efficient, and you get lots of extra time to camp augs and do hunter ach.
  4. Millianna Augur

I love my SK - but I would roll PAL instead because viability in end game content. However, if you're going to play caster group I would suggest adding an enchanter. My SK, WIZ, and ENCH have enough firepower to erase named mobs TDS and below.
  5. shiner421 New Member

Ive never played a pallie, what makes them more viable in end game content more so than SK?

I LOVE the lifetap gameplay the SK has, thats what draws me to the class. A tank that has automatic self heals from the lifetap procs.
  6. Tucoh Augur

I recommend SK+bard, bard's ability to track and pull is so useful in this game.

For a third, if you want to heal and possibly have an easier time vs named / group missions, a cleric makes sense. If you want to add a DPS instead, mage/ranger/wiz are easy to box DPS. Berserkers do a lot more DPS than they would, but would require you to position them.
  7. Connundrum Lorekeeper

I have realized today that my main goal is to get at least one of my box groups to 100. I really want to experience that part of the game, and I find that I would rather hit 100 than worry about farming augs, or gear since I can get the merchant gear from doing gribble tasks, or working on epic quests, etc.

Once I get at least some of my characters to 100, I would then take time to work on epic quests, aug's, any other signature quests I should do. So yes I am planning on sticking with EQ again for as long as I can.

That then makes me wonder if it would be faster to get into a guild on just 1 of my characters and maybe egt help from the guild leveling (although I hate asking for a PL, and I dont have the money for getting PL'd). obviously playing EQ with friends is where the magic is at, but again I really want some lvl 100's on my account(s).

My main obstacle is that I cannot for the life of me think of what class I would like to main. I love them all for various reasons, and since returning it seems like its nearly impossible to level at a reasonable rate solo. I dont want to have to spend lots of time looking for groups, and in the past 5 years of off and on playing, and being in occasional guilds I found that even getting guild groups and stuff was hard because so many people box and I would spend a good portion of my playing time doing nothing looking for groups, so thats why I chose to start boxing.

there isnt a solo version of the gribble HA's is there?
  8. moogs Augur

Solo version = daily tasks from Franklin Teek in POK. Get 3 at a time near your level bracket.

I box Druid, Enchanter, Magician also. I made it through 105 with a tank mercenary, healer mercenary, and caster DPS mercenary. The mercs were great until they got slammed with the nerf bat at 101+. It helps to equip merc armor from the vendor. An equipped tank merc is fine in Gribble tasks and so is an Earth pet as long as they are properly buffed and being healed and you are mezzing adds.

Make sure to get all of your pet tanking AAs and equip him with gear. You're an enchanter; everything should be slowed, debuffed, and mezzed if you messed up a pull. Druid and Magician also have important debuffs that should be the first things cast in most fights. Makes named in DH a little easier.

And on your druid don't forget to use Wild Growth and Bear Spirit for an extra temporary 20-25k HP while you assist in healing the pet for the named encounters. Should be a cakewalk.
  9. Connundrum Lorekeeper

@moogs you didnt use your mage pet to tank and use that tank merc as a dps merc?

My enchanter / mage / druid box uses the earth pet for tanking, 1 healer merc and the rest are wizzie mercs. I have no problems going through Gribble HA's (although i cant take the named, they hit too hard and fast, even when super buffed)

Does the tank merc work better more so than the earth pet?
  10. Millianna Augur

Should be able to kill all names without issues with that box set. Use your long duration charm and all your chanters AAs start off with IG CI IoG CH. Send charm pet and earth pet. Burn with chanter and mage (dont use mage TC yet). After first burn mob shouldn't be more than 60%. Use your mage's secondary burn here and load up chanter dots. For your druid, put up as many heals that are not on the same timer and spam heal towards the end.
  11. IblisTheMage Augur

Maybe you have not blocked the slow heals from the merc. If you do so, the merc will cast faster heals on your pet, and it can tank nameds in gribble in their sleep. I tank nameds in EoK T1 without problems, I use my own mage pet runes (aegis, auspice, stance) plus enchanter runes on pet, on these special occasions.
    In gribble, pet will rarely go below 95%.
  12. Connundrum Lorekeeper

I havent blocked any heals from the merc except for the delayed heal.