Best new monk aa?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by iZealot, Dec 6, 2016.

1. iZealot Lorekeeper

Any ideas on which aa's provide the highest dps increase for Empires of Kunark (EoK)? There seem to be a few good ones (I was maxed before new xpac).
    I'm tempted to get the two new runspeed aa (any idea what % is final rank?), but I figure I should go for dps stuff first, but there seem to be many good ones:

Twinstrike seems good.
    Master Wu and Thunderfoot both look amazing.
    New Physical Enhancement ranks also seem great.
    No idea about kick mastery or Punishing Blade or veteran's wrath, but they are minimal i'm assuming.

And did Killing Spree get buffed? And how about those last two ranks? Worth going early for group content?

I'm thinking, Thunderfoot > Master Wu > twinstrike > Physical Enhancement > run speed > Punishing Blade > other stuff.

Thoughts or suggestions?

I haven't bought any yet, so also thinking about doing some dummy parsing before/after's for each dps AA.

edit: just noticed Focus AA tab. omg more AA! are we finally ADPS now? anything good here? Tempted to max Master's first

thanks all
    Zare - E-Marr - NCM
  2. Brohg Augur

Veteran's Wrath and Punishing Blade are the real deal. They influence the expected damage of every melee round.
  3. Minato Augur

If you raid id max masters synergy first so that you offer something to your group then work on your kick aa veterans wrath proc aa (now doing better duel wield 90% of the time) or punishing blade if you want to stick with 2hb for the mitigation bonus but honestly even tho it looks like a crap ton of new aa to max all the dps tools will be done around 17k with like 2k being defensive and 4k useless garbage so id max whatever you feel most important. it wont take long
  4. Thrillho Augur

It takes about 7k to grab up all the useful AAs. I'm just wrapping up my last one now and have spent about that much so far (sitting at ~19.3k AAs).

I had a lot of AAs saved up prior to this expansion, so I was able to buy a lot on the first day. I wasn't sure which ones were going to be the most valuable for me, and luckily I didn't have to split a lot of hairs.

The ones I bought on the first day:
    • (Focus) Extended Heel
    • (Focus) Improved Scaledfist
    • (Focus) Improved Speed Focus
    • (Focus) Extended Crystalpalm
    • (Class) Thunderfoot
    • (Class) Kick Mastery
    • (Class) Focusing of Brithax
    • (Class) Master Wu
    • (Archetype) Twinstrike
    • (General) Anything to increase HP
    • (General) Combat Agility / Stability
    • (Focus) Master's Synergy
    As for Master's Synergy, it takes 1000 AAs to max out. I didn't use any of my banked AAs to buy this line, figuring I can advance it as I go through progression - there are a TONNE of AAs locked up behind progression. Yes it's nice to amp up my group's ADPS, but I needed to be able to hold my own as well. Keep in mind this AA only increases your auto-attack damage - none of the abilities. So while it's a 25% increase to damage, it doesn't equate to 25% overall. And for monks, we quickly eat up the 50 strike count, so maybe our damage is increased by 25% for 25% of the time for 25% of our attack damage (pulled these numbers out of thin air).

I went with the discipline AAs first because that's going to directly impact how much downtime I have in a raid (downtime being waiting on refresh). Decreasing that increases my overall DPS. Heel being the bread and butter of the monk burn, I maxed that out first and followed it up with anything that would increase my kick damage - thunderfoot especially.

After I got some DPS in check, I went with survivability. Increasing HP (General Sturdiness, Natural Durability, etc.) was going to help me survive some of the large AEs and DoTs. CA / CS are valuable to have when being attacked, but if you find yourself not tanking a lot (or pulling aggro), this can wait.

I'm sure I'm missing something in my list. Run speed, for instance, was one of the first ones I bought simply because these zones are absolutely massive. But this costs 100 for us to max out, which might be better spent elsewhere if you're finding XPing difficult. Basically, I improved my own DPS before improving others (Synergy), and improved my survivability very early on. Pick AAs that have a large impact - Thunderfoot would impact any time you kick, whereas Improved Synergy, while valuable, only impacts one ability.
  5. Dropfast Augur

Yea my first day list was much the same as Thrillhos. Our new synergy is awesome but with the hefty cost I only got it to 6/10 on the first day so it's was procing most of the time, then finished it off later.

I highly recommend Thunderfoot / Twinstrike as these help make Heel of B. a great burn again. Also all the ones for our burns of course. (Heel, Speed, Scalefist, Crystalpalm- In that order) We really needed the refresh time of Crystalpalm reduced instead of Extended, but what can you do o_O Crystalpalm still sucks bad compared to the other burns so do them first, Heel and Speed.
  6. Snazster Elder

Bought run upgrades first as I expected (correctly) a lot of very fast mobs. Then the low hanging fruit but this depends on whether you solo/molo, group, or raid. As a raid monk I prioritized offense over defense. Then I went in early on maxing Master's Synergy. Yes, it doesn't do that much for me as an individual but that's not really why we play an MMO. Plus, my guild groups me with a rogue, berserker, and beast lord that also have THEIR synergies maxed and on the right fights we now place 1, 2, 3, and 4 (usually in that order) on the dps parser. We farm tier 2 in TBM and are getting raid loot in EOK as well.
  7. Sikanle Lorekeeper

Pretty much same as Thrillho except I got Synergy before defensive. Also got run speed early on just because I like to run fast.
  8. Snazster Elder

Ya, Thrillhoe's list is what I would call the low hanging fruit except that I put off all defensive until offense was done. Generally, when I die, it's so fast that a few extra hp or agility points won't matter.
  9. Gelido Lorekeeper

Is there another website similar to Monkly Business? Id really like to get one going again, was useful. Definitely enjoy talking over monk abilities and finding out the best possible set up.
  10. Gelido Lorekeeper

Possibly if some would like to aid me in creating one and getting it updated as we go id just like to have it out there for other Monks as well, always enjoyed the monk the most and would like to get the best out of my character as i'm sure many others would.
  11. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Or, you could just use Monkly-business.net
  12. Gelido Lorekeeper

Use it and start posting again on it? Could do that yes, but wouldn't have admin support since most have gone away. Last time i attempted to contact one back in October, never received a response, figured site was dead.