You can no longer illusion through doors

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Roadgame, Dec 9, 2016.

1. EnchFWO Augur

Doors had nothing to do with exploiting VT unless they also fixed mount geometry. Oops. Guess they didn't want to mention that part. But again, doors were never the big 'sploit of VT. It was a mount and ceiling and everyone knows it. So, if they want to screw everyone over completely, finish the job.
    Nandary Griefs likes this.
  2. GoldenFrog Augur

It may be years later, for reasons people don't like - you can call it many things. But making the game work as-intended, is hardly "screwing everyone over".

Just those who never wanted to or cared to do the keying quests.
  3. japettle New Member

Without this exploit then there would have been bigger pushes from the community to unlock doors from past expansions. It's no different than removing flags, or required progression once the next expansion comes out. And if progression is locked behind some device then you can typically perform the requirements solo or without much effort.

All it takes is a key quest, a character flag once you complete an event or some kind of vendor purchase. Problem solved.

I've personally used the illusion trick to check a lot of past content that I missed out on. Everything from exploring Highpass Hold, Veeshan's Peak to Vex Thal and Txevu has locked doors. It's a rather mundane mechanic that seemed to persist for far too long.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Ishtass like this.
  4. fransisco Augur

There are many doors that have no key. You must pick locks to open them.
  5. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

I see many rogue boxes being made soon.
  6. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Or bards. Bards are better.
  7. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

There more concern for TLP yet FV goes down every F****** week its stupid. I quit! later.

Andarriel
  8. Gumlakx Augur

Rogue shroud plus mechanized lockpicks works well. Jut don't use a rouge. As someone once said, rouges are overpowdered.
  9. Kassus New Member

This was a bug, and a known bug. Going through it a non legit way would be like complaining that they fix a bugged spell that allows you one hit a raid mob. Its not intended, and no matter how many people used it they were still exploiting.

You cant ask for bugs to be fixed then complain that they fix the ones that dont benefit you.
  10. japettle New Member

Yeah I agree. It's hard to complain about a well known and well used exploit getting fixed. The point I made above is that this was so well known it was pointless to complain to SOE and now DBG about locked doors when you can bypass them so easily. Since there are plenty of locked doors that are now not by-passable I think DBG needs to fix this as a progression impeding issue. I mean why make it so you can enter these zones without a key or character flag yet impede progress on the very first locked door (sometimes at the very start of a linear zone)? It's not like keys may be easily obtainable or you need to have with you (in some cases) a rogue or bard to lock-pick the door in order to progress through the zone. Nevermind there are now plenty of bugged or forgotten about key quests to doors such as the one in Yxtta to the Primals that will most likely never be fixed by DBG. (Maybe they'll do it for TLP!)

While we're at it, if a door requires lock-pick lets just do something with the lock-pick skillset. I'm sorry to my rogue brothers but this game mechanic should have gone the way of the spell book, corpse runs, boat travel and every other ancient mechanic that was fun and neat the first time but absolutely pointless every other time.

I know this is falling on deaf ears or people are like "who cares"? But I personally enjoy going back to do old content specifically ancient quests, and I often have no choice but to illusion through doors. This "fix" is essentially making it so many people who play and enjoy ALL content impossible. Go ahead try doing GoD progression or the BiC quest now.
  11. RainbowTest Augur

Um Najena and ToFS are already on keyrings. The only doors I can think of that are currently unfair would be the doors in Veeshan's Peak and the Door to the crypt/4doors in Old Sebilis. Since as far as I know, their keys don't exist anymore. Also doesn't the key to the door in City of Mist no longer drop cause of the revamp? Didn't it used to be an ulak that dropped from a door pop that stopped spawning when the mobs changed? For Charassis, there is a temporary key off the sperms for all doors and a key that drops in every wing for the next wing in progression.
  12. fransisco Augur

I'm pretty sure most of the inside doors in vex thall have no key (excluding the outside gate)
  13. Kharazdak Journeyman

Was this mentioned in a patch update somewhere that I missed?
    Upon returning to the game after many years, I "assumed" this feature/bug/exploit was in part based on the fact that many of the zones, especially lower levels, are so less populated compared to once upon a time. It's all well and good to talk about restoring the purity of the game design, however, some of my favorite lower level zones (sebilis, CoM) typically have no one in them these days. When picking locks were required, it wasn't a big deal to ask someone in the zone to open them. But now when these zones are usually empty it's a different story, and the result seems to be to render portions of zones essentially inaccessible to many players. ...Had no idea this was considered an 'exploit'.

Maybe they'll try to tie this to the (much more current and pressing imo) issues with the guild hall door - do we know need rogues to lockpick the guildhall? ;) (Oh,... see, the guild hall door wasn't actually a "bug" after all).
  14. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

As far as I know there's keys available for every door in CoM. Some are temporary and don't keyring which is kind of annoying, but the areas are still accessible. I do agree Seb crypt should have a key added.
  15. RainbowTest Augur

What are the keys for City of Mist, or are you mixing up City of Mist with Charassis?
  16. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Captain of the Guard drops this key, which is not temporary and goes on keyring. It opens the first door from the moat area into the room with the first black reaver:
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=24662

Neh`Ashiir drops this key, which is temporary and does not go on keyring. It operates the elevator:
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=21185

Now that I think about it, I think you would need to picklock or pet pull the Neh`Ashiir area to get that key in the first place. So they could probably stand to add another key to upper CoM.
  17. Karthanon Augur

Um, AFAIK there were 3 keys for VT: The gate key (dropped from the rock Va Dyn outside), the North key (dropped by guards of Thall Va Xakras) in the two wings before the north door and blob1, and then the Tower key (from mobs behind DXV and DXX).
  18. Lighteningrod Augur

There are picklock only doors in between all three key holders.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  19. japettle New Member

Check out the old EQ Atlas VT maps. There are lock-pick doors only mixed with keyed doors. You basically can't get past the first room without a rogue. The only trick you can use is to agro mobs through doors which then open the doors so you can move inside.
  20. Kassus New Member

I still dont understand why people are complaining about this just because they cant do it solo. This is a group based game. It was built for groups. Not every character can do everything, which is a good thing. Just invite a friend that can pick a lock to come along. If a door is locked because the flagging no longer exists thats another thing, but if there is a way to flag for it or if it just needs a simple rogue then there is no problem. I'm glad this is not a "single player mmo" like many have turned into. Doors are not the only thing that require others in old content. Things like Goblin Dojo in DoN still require so many people in the room to start it. We should never complain when they actually fix stuff (botched fixes is also another story).