Macro to target nearest mob?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by sdeco, Dec 26, 2014.

1. sdeco Lorekeeper

Anyone know of a command usable in a macro that targets the nearest mob, similar to pressing The F8 key?
  2. Brohg Augur

there is none
  3. Vran New Member

Only thing that can be done is remap f8 to an easier to click button like F to cycle with. (assuming you use asdw for movement).
    ChillyNeil likes this.
  4. Melanippe Augur

Alt + W... Options Icon.....Keys...Target...You can set up keys to cycle targets.
  5. Feradach Augur

That won't work either. Socials interpret any non-command characters as a /say. All it would do is "say f" if you did that.
  6. Vran New Member

Sure if your typing something in your chat box, it types normal, but once your done it goes back to cycling npc.
  7. Ismel Augur

a hotkey with
    /tar a_
    /tar an_

will target the closest in range of you, this do count corpses and it wont find any npc that are not named a_xxx or an_xxx, but its the best you can do in a macro I believe.
  8. sojuu Augur

I personally prefer binding a key to cycle through NPC. I use my delete key because it is right above my up arrow which I prefer using over awsd for movement. Out of curiosity what are you trying to do in the macro? I know get a target but why is the rest of the lines in the macro needed? Knowing this may help come up with a better solution, you may not have thought of to your needs.
  9. ChillyNeil New Member

I did read through some of the comments about Auto-Target mobs. It did appeal to me because I mis-click so much it turns out to be one of my strongest weaknesses. I seen some replies that used the abbreviated everquest language, like they do on texts now days. That means he is answering a very simple question with not so simple communication. If I don't know how to auto-target a mob, I ain't gonna know how to read and respond to all that abbreviationism. Simple as that.

Then I seen one that said, "there is no macro for auto-target". Then I understood that quite well, but it's also wrong. Then I read a reply that has super detailed variations of this simple question and I even almost missed the answer, mixed in with the breakdown of all sorts of variations of the super simple answer.

Okay, the question was, "is there a macro or something that I can auto-target mobs with?" The answer is yes. "F8" will get you started. I put my Pet Attack hot key just below the F8 key so I can grab a snack while my warder does all the work.
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Sorry, don't mean to pick on you, but that is one funny quote!

Tat :)
  11. Kravn Augur

I have mouse 4 and mouse 5 bound as cycle NPC and target nearest NPC respectively.

Thumbclick targeting ftw.
    Koryu likes this.
  12. moogs Augur

I bound 'K' to cycle nearest NPCs. K for Kill, 'cause that's the only interaction worth doing most of the time. Also because I'm lazy and it didn't involve remapping a default hotkey.
  13. Siddar Augur

I have cycle NPC off e key and wasd as arrow keys. So I can target fast by moving middle finger from w to e.
  14. CaptainSkeet Augur

There is not a macro command, in the form of adding commands to socials, that will target the nearest NPC in any given situation.
  15. Tucoh Augur

I have tab as nearest. On my tank I have F2-F6 as ETW targets, my healer keeps them for targeting group members.
  16. Thraine Augur

no need to have a macro for such a simple command, just remap for F8 key to another key thats faster to hit
  17. Repthor Augur

Just invite a ranger to your group . mobs will find them
  18. Metanis Bad Company

I use this all the time. It works really well if you add [ /pause 6, /hidecorpse all ] as the first line. You need pause because the client takes a bit of work to remove a bunch of corpses if you are mass killing.
  19. Umbraeques Lorekeeper

I have the ` key (the one immediately to the left of 1 above the keyboard) as target nearest NPC. Mostly so I can then hit 1, which I have bound to bash, then 2 which is bound to a fast casting spell, in quick succession afterwards. Cycle nearest NPC is ctrl ` , and tab to cycle previous two targets, so I can go back one if I cycled past easily.

Might not work for everyone, but I find it allows me to select and change targets rapidly. Plus my muscle memory helps, if my key config ever changed it'd take a bit of getting used to!
  20. Stonescales_povar New Member

most mice these days allow you to "click" the scroll wheel, i map that to the NPC cycle