Failing the smell test...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Champ, Dec 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Illusory Augur

You play this game for roughly 30 hours a week and you don't have the time to look for a group? Are you kidding me right now?
    karmalious and Brilhasti like this.
  2. Kiani Augur

Yeah, that failed the "smell test" for me...
    Illusory likes this.
  3. Chuuk Augur

Based on AoE'ing of Seb quite often, here's my 2 cents:

ODS is an unbelievably rare drop...like very unbelievably rare. I either camp my toons near disco and clear both discos and the ramp up to the bridge, or I camp them near the chef and kill all the frogs up to the same bridge.

Since November 1, based on my parses, I've killed roughly 12,500 mobs. Based on a blimp's glance of the parse, Boks and Dars consist of about half of the mobs I've killed. So, lets say I killed 6000 mobs that can potentially drop it.

I've had (2) ODS drop in that period of time. To compare, I've only had (2) RBGs drop in that same period of time. So, like 1 / 3000 mobs is the drop rate based on my anecdotal experience.

If you assume there are about 100 eligible Dars or Boks in Seb at any given time, and they're on about a 20-25 min repop rate, you come out with 300 per hour. So, if Seb is constantly cleared, I would expect (1) ODS to drop every 10 hours per pick.

TLDR; people are not routinely getting "2 ODS per AoE pull" I can guarantee that. Also, VERY rarely are people just killing a rando at the zone-in and looting one...we're talking like, maybe a handful times over the course of the whole expansion. Looting an ODS is truly a war of attrition.
  4. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

I got my ODS in Kunark from a dar ghoul knight in the crypt. I went back and checked my logs.

[Thu Apr 21 01:58:57 2016] dar ghoul knight has been slain by skeletal champion!
    [Thu Apr 21 01:59:14 2016] --You have looted a Obulus Death Shroud.--
  5. Champ Lorekeeper

Was severely hungover for a couple days since starting this thread. Wild Christmas/Trump win party. Within two hours of grinding again the very next session, had one drop off a Bok Shaman,

Oh, yea I don't have time looking for groups nor the patience. Why should I spend a hour looking for a group when I can log in and go right at it. My time is valuable. You don't like that I six box, you are very shortsided. If it wasn't for people like me, there wouldn't be an EQ now.
    sifonin likes this.
  6. Champ Lorekeeper

Yea, I made that up. Guess you are the guy that pulls through my camp at times. I've lost many a pet from your pulls.

But I don't doubt your stats. Sounds right. I've never seen a RBG, but as I said above, I finally got an ODS. Just need one more.

And whoever said I made enough plat to buy a ODS, my plat goes to Kronos. Whoever dies with the most Kronos wins, and I am still way behind.
  7. Immortalus Lorekeeper

Had an ODS drop this morning from a Bok Wizard right near the entrance just through the first door.
  8. snailish Augur

Anyone genuinely getting a drop off an NPC that isn't a Dar should report it to the various sites (Allakhazam, Fanra, EQresource, etc.). Maybe it's 90% more likely (but still very rare) off a Dar vs. others. Also, modern posts about where exactly you were and what you did can help other progression players out.

2 examples:
    -for one of the TLP servers something was clearly changed with the spawns of the parts for Old Sebilis keys. There is a marked difference in the frequency of those spawns (old posts on Allakhazam it took people a whole day to get a few keys, now you can practically stand at the zone in and both key parts will path by you within 15 minutes). The point of this example is things can change in the game, and we know they have been tweaking for progression since the first progression servers.

-Necromancer skullcap early ranks... tons of old posts with some radical theories on how to get the NPCs needed for the drops. Reality is if you kill the PH mobs in very tight areas of level 4-15ish spots around Cabilis you can do the first few quests quite quickly (in comparison to the "it took me 40 hours of killing everything from the windmill to Cabilis" posts). The point being is that sometimes things in this game are simpler and more compact than player experience led the community to believe.

I've personally killed in parts of Old Sebilis for weeks grinding AA on a live server. I don't recall ever getting an ODS, but may have. Either way, for my kill count of NPC I would suggest it is quite rare. Then again, I may have been mass killing in the wrong areas to have better luck.
  9. Lungvin Lorekeeper

This guy lmao.
  10. Poydras Augur

I think he's saying he can't get a group because he smells bad?
  11. Dogwizard New Member

Great job!
  12. Elmdor Lorekeeper

^Lol
  13. RadarX Augur

This one has run a bit but we're going to go ahead and close it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.