Video lag issues with GeForce GTX 960

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Zamboni, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Zamboni Journeyman

Just got a new computer and was excited to play EQ on the new system, but I'm suffering horrible video lag, making EQ pretty much unplayable.

System specs:
    Intec Core i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
    16 GB Ram
    Windows 10, 64-bit, x64 based processor

Partial DX Diag results posted below (can't find a way to add an attachment to this post and the whole thing was too long to be posted).

I originally had default display settings in EQ, but have been playing with them to try to improve performance, but nothing seems to work.

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 12/14/2016, 19:36:57
    Machine name: **removed**

Machine Id: **removed**

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release.161110-2025)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: HP
    System Model: 870-119
    BIOS: F.15
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16338MB RAM
    Page File: 6806MB used, 12475MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.14393.0000 64bit Unicode

------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
    DirectX Debug Levels
    --------------------
    Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 960
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Type: Full Device
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1401&SUBSYS_2B4D103C&REV_A1
    Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
    Device Problem Code: No Problem
    Driver Problem Code: Unknown
    Display Memory: 10185 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 2016 MB
    Shared Memory: 8168 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: S32F351
    Monitor Id: SAM0D24
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
    Output Type: HDMI
    Driver Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhdci.inf_amd64_f6635f9e64d11744\nvd3dumx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhdci.inf_amd64_f6635f9e64d11744\nvwgf2umx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhdci.inf_amd64_f6635f9e64d11744\nvwgf2umx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhdci.inf_amd64_f6635f9e64d11744\nvwgf2umx.dll
    Driver File Version: 21.21.0013.7633 (English)
    Driver Version: 21.21.13.7633
    DDI Version: 12
    Feature Levels: 12_1,12_0,11_1,11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
    Driver Model: WDDM 2.1
    Graphics Preemption: DMA
    Compute Preemption: DMA
    Miracast: Not Supported by Graphics driver
    Hybrid Graphics GPU: Not Supported
    Power P-states: Not Supported
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 2016-12-10 7:00:00 PM, 17586992 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: Unknown
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-5741-11CF-5D6E-400B1BC2D835}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Device ID: 0x1401
    SubSys ID: 0x2B4D103C
    Revision ID: 0x00A1
  2. Narogg Augur

I have experienced this.
    Type /log off is your lag goes away then its related to your anti virus scanning your log file.
    You can fix this if your using windows defender by adding the entire eq folder as a DO NOT SCAN item.

If your video lag does not go away it is related to a few issues.
    Since you have an HP, you have a critical flaw in the pc
    The past week, I have seen 3 HP's brick with the windows 10 1607 update.

FIX IT now by goinghere
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers.../model/13556371#Z7_3054ICK0K8UDA0AQC11TA930O2
    AlmarsGuides likes this.
  3. Zamboni Journeyman

Thanks for trying to help out.

I went to that link, but I'm not sure what to do once I'm there. Are you suggesting that I revert to older versions of my current drivers?
  4. Narogg Augur

No. Install all the most current bios and drivers.
  5. Zamboni Journeyman

Ahh, ok. That's one of the first thing I did - made sure I had the latest video drivers - but I'll check again.
  6. Paralyze Journeyman

I run a GTX 960 and encountered this problem on two systems. In August or October they changed the version of DX9 EQ is running. If you copied over your eqclient.ini from another machine you could still be trying to access the wrong DX9 file. Try moving eqclient.ini to another folder (forces the game to patch in a fresh one) and download this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35

for the correct version of Dx9. Although in my case, just moving the eqclient.ini file was enough to fix the problem for me. Then you can go back into the fresh ini and add in all your settings manually.
    AlmarsGuides likes this.
  7. Zamboni Journeyman

Oooo.. I did copy all my userfiles over, I'll try that. Thanks!
  8. fortuneteller Augur

So it Means, you do not have problems with lag running eq + gtx 960 ?

I mean, I am going to buy a new computer, which likely going to use window 10, and some sort of GeForce!

Otherwise, I have to go to some kind of shop, to see if they by miracle have some window 8.1 still.
  9. bleyzsecret New Member

Hey I wanted to post a solution that I have found to work from extensive research on this problem that persists with the newer video cards. I currently have a GTX Titan and it always bothered me that when I bought the latest and greatest video card that EQ would run less than ideal and would have all this lag all over the place. So I have been researching about this issue and finally came across a solution that not only explained the issue but solved the issue as well. Everquest is such an old game and what is happening is that it actually doesn't take much resources to run it because of the way it's coded so the video cards of which I have Nvidia interprets that the game doesn't use much resources and therefore the video card control panel scales down the video card to not run optimally and that's why you see EQ lagging. The solution is this you go to the 3D settings and you cane either make a profile for EQ or for global settings and scroll down to power management and change it from adaptive to maximum performance. I hope this helps you guys out but the people I have revealed this too are so thrilled that their EQ runs so smoothly. I have no issues anymore with my 1st generation GTX Titan and EQ runs so well it's so amazing!!
    AlmarsGuides and Sarkaukar like this.
  10. Sarkaukar Augur

Add to the above post about Nvidia Power Management Mode about changing it from Adaptive to Prefer Max performance. Also check your system's Power Options and change it from Power savings/balanced to High Performance.

Both settings ensures that each part of your system is not running at a lowered speed.