Claims bug - It's time to do damage control, Daybreak

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Warrior007, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vanrau Augur

Was this exploit reported on their dgcissuetracker site?
  2. Atabishi Augur

Yes, exploits will always happen and people will always abuse them, there is no way to stop that. However, in most games people at least try to hide the fact that they are exploiting. In most games, every single time you use an exploit you are at least some what looking over your shoulder wondering if there is someone watching. In most games, if someone has video proof of you using an exploit, you will get punished. MOST GAMES if a highly exploitable bug is reported, the actions necessary to exploit the bug, are disabled until it can be fixed. My experience on Phinigel has been the complete opposite. People openly use exploits as if they are part of the norm. People have absolutely no fear of getting punished for them. Videos submitted of people using exploits, and absolutely nothing. The exploits themselves reported months in advance before the entire server finds about it, and no action is taken. All of these things create an environment that encourages people to exploit.

I'm not sure if you have ever heard of the broken glass theory or not. If kids are looking to vandalize a building, they are far more likely to vandalize a building with broken glass already present, than a building in very good condition. It's a theory police departments around the world adopted, that if you crack down heavily on small crime, it will dramatically lower the chances of severe crime.
    NoWay and Polekn like this.
  3. Pikallo Augur

This is just false. I know a number of police officers and the majority of the time they are not going to pull over someone that is doing 35 in a 30, even if they do have time.

However, I 100% support action being taken on accounts that participated in this exploit, but I also think the punishment should fit the crime. Perma-ban (aka "jail for life") seems a bit excessive for what I would consider a traffic violation. Even if this was your 4th speeding ticket, its not grounds to be put in jail for life.

Just my opinion.
  4. Warlorf Augur

Pik if someone has violated the terms set out by DBG a 4th time .... ya its deserving of a perma ban ..
  5. Atabishi Augur

They said each account would be reviewed. I suspect that those who were banned, had other things that looked fishy on their account that were brought to light during that review. That's just purely my speculation and might not be the case at all. Just seems the most logical reasoning for it.
  6. Ghubuk Augur

Maybe not for 35 in a 30, but how about 70 in a 30? That would likely be more similar to what those that got banned were doing. Most only got a suspension (ie, traffic ticket). As well, if you are on your 4th speeding ticket, good luck affording the insurance to continue having the privilege of driving.
  7. AgentofChange Augur

There are still a ton of problems. The way they handled this was rushed and extremely flawed. They are making no one happy and do not appear to have an actual plan in place to solve the real issues. By this point items that have no business being in the game at this time have been circulated more times then you could possibly count. Large amounts of krono and plat have been spent and at this point it is too late for them to reasonably deal with this issue. They waited too long and we are going to be forced to just live with the fact that some people have a huge advantage now because they were able to get away with the exploit while others were not.

Basically we have the following:
    1) Defiant gear still exists in large quanities
    2) People who took advantage of this exploit long before it was common knowledge are not being punished
    3) Some people who took advantage of it when it WAS common knowledge have not been punished in any way
    4) People who are being punished are being punished inconsistently - anywhere from 5 day suspensions, 10 day suspensions to permanent suspensions - with no real indication on why they are being inconsistent

While it's true they "attempted" damage control, the fact is they just cannot control this. They can simply slap a few people on the wrist and hope the community is happy enough with that that they will forget the underlying issue still exists and always will.
    NoWay likes this.
  8. RadarX Augur

It's been a page or two so probably time for another reminder. Many of you have probably noticed this thread is getting regularly pruned. Here is what can stay:

• The exploit in question
    • Actions taken against the specific exploit by Daybreak
    Most other posts will be removed.
    Here is what has been earning folks suspensions all weekend:
    • Insults
    • Dramamongering (PM me if you'd like discuss my definition)
    • Blacklisting (other than yourself)
    • Making very obvious alternate accounts to get around another suspension
    Any questions about this please feel free to contact me via PM.
  9. Pikallo Augur

My point was just that you were trying to "guarantee" that a cop will pull someone over if they have time, no matter what. Which is not true.
  10. Avamar99 New Member

Ah. But everyone knows the consequences of speeding. They are clearly documented. I know that if I go 11-15 miles over speed limit, I know exactly how much I'll have to pay if I get pulled over.

On the flip side, if I go out and rob a bank, I also know the consequences if I get caught.

This is why many people will speed, but would never consider robbing a bank. They weigh the consequences of getting caught and deduce that robbing a bank isn't worth it.

DBG hasn't been pulling people over for "speeding" nor "robbing banks". There's no consistency in enforcement or even clearly defined punishments - that is why you had a fair percentage of phinny's population that "broke the law". The people exploiting assumed DBG would do as they have done historically - nothing.

I do feel as though this round of suspensions/bans was warranted and now people will have to stop and think "am I willing to risk the consequences?" instead of "should I risk missing this opportunity" ?
    Pikallo and Warlorf like this.
  11. Elemints Journeyman

Not sure if Daybreak is paying attention. But as of this morning Dec 12, defiant gear is still available on a trader in the bazar on Phinny.
  12. Ghostpro71 New Member

Give them some time and they'll clean it up.
  13. Lungvin Lorekeeper

delete the item id numbers from the server database.
  14. Warlorf Augur

not sure If the player base is paying attention .. but they're on it
  15. RadarX Augur

If it were this easy, we would have done this on Friday. The items will need to be cleaned up but we also need to fix the issue. Both will require a maintenance which the team is preparing as soon as possible.
  16. Dilf Augur

I'm so dumb. I knew that the /claims were shut down, but I bought like 20 stacks of Halas pies realizing I did not have a bag to store them in. Then I went to the DBG store and bought one of those 40-slot bags, that I can't claim until this issue is resolved. I owned myself. Woe is me :(
  17. Gronkin New Member

@RadarX can we get someone on top of the support tickets? I think some people may have been caught in this wide net unfortunately without any wrongdoing
  18. nobody7678 New Member

Just buy a medicine bag
    Thewiz likes this.
  19. RadarX Augur

A lot of tickets went in as anticipated when a fair number of suspensions happen. Support tickets are being resolved as quickly as possible. I do not believe however anyone was caught up who did not at least utilize this function (which was not easy to do accidentally).
  20. Dilf Augur

That was the initial plan, but there were none in the bazaar. I was impatient, but now I have no choice. :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.