Claims bug - It's time to do damage control, Daybreak

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Warrior007, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ducreux Augur

It actually tells you that to create an appeal petition you need to make a new account.
  2. Varisath1 New Member

I ate a 10 day on 1 account, no big deal. I figured I might as well get in while the gettin' was good too like everyone else. The last time I decided not to join in on the fun was when everyone transfer exploited tens of million of plat and ruined Ragefire's economy permanently and DBG didn't do diddly jack squat about it so I figured they wouldn't respond this time either. I guess when precious Phinigel is affected then it demands action.
  3. Really Angry Bear Journeyman

Welcome to the sweet catch 22 of Daybreak's CS. You cannot submit a ticket from a banned/suspended account, and most of the time if you do appeal from a new account, they'll tell you they can't discuss the issue except from the account with the issue.

In my experience, you're most likely to not going to get a response before the suspension actually ends anyway.

Good luck getting unbanned though if it's really permanent. These guys never unbanned my original planetside1 account 10 years after it was banned, and all I ever did in that game to warrant an account action was spam chat(lol).
  4. Kiani Augur

All of this talk about it - and yet, there's 3 items of defiant currently on sale in the bazaar.
    v01d likes this.
  5. Machen New Member

It's inconsistent because many, many times in the history of the TLP's there have been cases where players who did stuff like this did not have action taken against their accounts, and in some cases didn't even have the items or plat removed.

On Fippy and Vulak, offhand -- and these are just the ones that immediately come to mind, that a lot of people got away with. Probably a few more I am forgetting:

Shaman potion exploit during classic. Stacks of out of era spells bought, distributed and scribed during Kunark and PoP. (puma, shaman/druid rez come to mind.) Loyalty vendor in game briefly during Gates launch (which resulted in free solteris gear during TBS for people who had the foresight to buy raid currency.) Mounts available too soon on the SC store. Bags and other unavailable SC gear transferred from live by taking advantage of GM staff who didn't know better.

In each of these cases, people participating in this stuff knew full well that things were not working as intended, that they were accessing things that weren't supposed to be on the server yet. Of course the argument was made, "We're just buying what's available in game, how can we be blamed for that?" Wink, wink, nod, nod, as people bought multiple stacks of puma spells and then deleted them to reclaim later because they fully knew SOE might not see it that way. In each case, many who took advantage did not receive any account action (I think the shaman potion one may be the only one on my list that did result in some suspensions, but even there it was hit or miss and most of the plat stayed on the server.)

None of these were quite as game breaking as defiant armor or the super mount. But lack of action taken in each of these cases (and more similar stuff on Ragefire/Lockjaw) has led to players performing this calculus--evaluating whether the reward for cheating outweighs the apparently low risk of something actually being done, and wondering if they are going to be behind everyone else once again if they don't take advantage.

Personally I think DBG taking serious action this time around is a step in the right direction, and if they do so consistently going forward that will help prevent people from being tempted to cross the line in the future.

All that said, and given all of the above, if they are actually banning some people with no prior history, that's pretty messed up.
  6. Ghubuk Augur

Even in real life when something "illegal" happens and current punishments are not correcting the issue, more forceful punishments are brought into being. It isn't always about consistency, it is about getting people to stop the unwanted action. And yes, sometimes in real life it is even about making an example of people so that others don't do it in the future.
    justasub likes this.
  7. Tudadar Augur

Imo this just shows they realize how important progression servers (including future ones) are for the future of EQ/jobs and wont be messing around with stuff like this.
  8. Smith New Member

There's still defiant gear being sold in the bazaar on Phinny as we speak lol. How stupid can people be?
  9. doah Augur

So, It is great DBG is doing something. But what I want to know is what DBG is doing internally to rectify issues like this when a guildy of mine contacted Customer service about this issue months ago and was turned away.
  10. Zinth Augur

as usual they won't do a thing I guess, they only "do as little as possible" to calm the waters when there is an uproar... So I kinda get why ppl just jump at it as say wtf just do it the risk is minimal or nill and you might get a slap over your hand and so what.

There has been so many flukes already on the TLP servers and usually they didn't do squat, so I am surpriced they are doing something now, even when they were warned about the issue months ago.
  11. Troutfest Augur

Guessing a few suspensions like this might make others think twice about doing something that is shady. Message is out there now, it seems.
    Foop likes this.
  12. Rational New Member

I find the response to this exploit to be appropriate. Well done, Daybreak Games.

If you hold the line on the perma-bans, you will truly make people think twice next time.

I'm glad to read Holly's tweet that they will be removing the items from the game. (I hope they get *all* the items.)
    v01d, Thewiz and Glistarian like this.
  13. Progress Augur

Everyone seems to be getting exactly what they deserve. There was no reason to "test" anything, as all you had to do was look to see that defiant was on sale in the bazaar. We play on a TLP server which restricts gear by expansion (or what the devs deem fit for that expansion), so knowingly using out of era gear that was claimed via an obscure bug goes against the spirit of the server. If anything just perma-ban these players from the TLP servers as they don't seem to want to play on a TLP anyways.
    Glistarian, Thewiz and v01d like this.
  14. Silinius Augur

Public Disclaimer: I personally am not affected in any way as I didn't take advantage of the exploit but while I don't disagree with suspensions, I am finding the lack of consistent policy associated with decision making used to handle each case a bit concerning.

I've seen cases of 5 day (appropriate), 10 day (not so appropriate) and Lifetime Ban being handed out for the same violation. The difference here is that CS appears to be looking at the account "flagging" history in determining the severity of the punishment regardless of what the prior flags were for.

In one case, a person got a 10 day suspension because they used to be in Modest Man on Lockjaw during the enforced rotation days. On the 10 day suspension notification it states the reason for violation was the /claim bug exploit but says additional reason: PoSky Rotation Violation. It also notes that previous suspension (from a year and a half ago) was reinstated.

In another case, someone with no violations on their account received a ban. Was this a fat finger by the CS team? Is the Ban Button and Suspend Button next to each-other?

I know that Roshen, RadarX and the Dev Team in general are not part of the CS org. and that the Community Relations / Social Teams are purely about damage control and making sure us monkeys don't get out of line in the public sector, but I'd recommend raising some questions on the methodology used to make these decisions guys. You are the face of Daybreak to the players and as such, I'd like to think that you are the player's advocates to the business and will bring these concerns to light.

Again, I'm not suspended and won't be and I agree with a short vacation for people who did this was warranted (even though some of my more "special" guild members got caught up in this despite warning to stay away from it). But consistency is key.
  15. Strawberry Augur

If you can't trust your own guildies not to cheat, how can you trust them saying they had no previous violations. I'm sure if you asked all those suspended people if they ever cheated they would have said no too a few days ago.

Also, bans are not going to be merely a result of previous violations, but the extent of the violations. If you used the claim bug, claimed defiant and the OP mount, then sold defiant, and then used defiant on mobs, your ban will be much harsher than a clueless newbee who bought defiant by accident.

A permaban for someone knowingly exploiting the /claim window is totally appropriate.....and on the other end of the spectrum, actually compensating a clueless newbee who lost pp on buying defiant when you take the item away, is also totally appropriate...the intent and extent of the exploitation matters.
    v01d likes this.
  16. Silinius Augur

I agree on your first point, I don't know for sure and let's be really clear; I am not condoning the behavior. Frankly I'm pretty angry that some people who should know better, didn't think through their actions before jumping on the "I don't want to miss this opportunity because daybreak won't do anything about it" train.

But as far as ban vs. suspension and varying lengths, it just appears that there is very little consistency. That's all I am highlighting. Now if someone from CS or Daybreak Management (not Community Relations) were to make a statement around how punishment was determined, then that might clear up things. But for now, people are reaching out to the only point of contact they have, which is Communication Relations / Management.
  17. Strawberry Augur

They won't and can't do that, they never have. Simply because it would show cheaters where the window of opportunity is to avoid suspensions.
  18. Garten New Member

This warms my heart. Justice has been served!
    v01d likes this.
  19. Meko Skeet New Member

OGC used to have issues raiding ssra. But with the new lamp posts laid down for the raid to follow we have 0 issue navigating the zone anymore, this trivializes the content.
    Capacittor and Destany like this.
  20. justasub Journeyman

they dont and wont. they owe you (who supposedly didnt do anything) nothing...quit defending the offenders. we dont give 2 shizzes about your request for clarification. here is clarification for you > the cheaters got what they deserved. justice finally is served for once
    v01d likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.