Any chance to see LoN back in any form?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cidran, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Cidran Augur

Hello,

I'm sorry to post this here, I know it doesn't belong in Vet's Lounge but I haven't found a better place to write it. And yes, I'm agreed that there are more important things devs should focus on.

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed that TCG, mainly for the single player scenarios, coop raids and sprint tournaments. And I'd really enjoy to see it back in any form, even as a mobile game. I spent quite a few € on it (no regrets) and I wouldn't mind spending more if I had the chance. I liked the rules but it was Norrath's art and music that made it magical. I've always loved card games and Everquest so this was a dream come true for me.

I know it's nearly impossible but I just opened my 10th anniversary book and all the illustrations got me very nostalgic. I wish they gave us an offline mode or some hope for another EQ-based TCG in the future.
    Orbital101 likes this.
  2. Vdidar Augur

3. RadarX Augur

I'm afraid there are no plans to bring back Legends of Norrath at this time.
  4. moogs Augur

5. Caell Augur

Would be awesome to see it brought back on iPad and/or Android tablet(s).

Seriously, the hard part of getting all the artwork is done. What's a little bit of code going to cost?

It's time to start growing this company again, not shrink it further.
    Aenvar likes this.
  6. Absor Developer

I wonder, though, would you play it if there were no rewards or pack inserts with items for other games like EQ? Would you play the actual game?
    Aenvar likes this.
  7. Kravn Augur

I personally received very little from the free packs given out, however I did enjoy completing scenarios to earn cool items in EQ... Chalandria's Fang being one of the best.
    Aenvar likes this.
  8. Nicolos Journeyman

That's like asking, "would you raid just to raid even if there was no loot at the end?". Every game needs a reward and LoN's reward, for good or bad, was EQ/EQ2 loot. LoN failed, not due to the in-game rewards, but more to its convoluted rule set and lack of motivation to play. Starting out, there were nice rewards for scenarios but in the end, it was a blatant money grab. Make a fun game first then people will throw money your way; some advice that should be spread throughout the company's gaming profile.
  9. Strawberry Augur

Many games are solid enough that they work without a reward system. I played tons of MTG in high-school, and the rule we always used was that both sides got all their cards back at the end of it. There was no reward at the end, it was just played because we liked to play the game.

The word "board game" is translated in many languages as a "company game", gesellschaft, literally having company, socializing. It's not about winning, it's just the fact you are together with another person.
  10. Absor Developer

Nah. Look at Dota, CS:GO, League of Legends. I guess CS sometimes gives cosmetics randomly at the end of the game, but it's not fair to call that a reward, more of a participation gift. As someone said, Magic is a great example, unless you play for ante as the original rules suggest. Just thinking about games I've played recently, like Rimworld. Rewards are a huge part of PRGs, but not so much so in other games.

I tend to prefer games that I like to play even if there are no rewards. RPGs are a different monster, as progression is a lot of what their core mechanics work around, though I can think of some that don't, like the diceless pen and paper games.

Don't get me wrong, I rather liked LoN as a game player, but I am under the impression that most people bought cards for the prizes not for the gameplay. And as an EQ designer I'd rather give out those things in EQ than in some other game.

A
    Thunderkiks, Tudadar, Brohg and 2 others like this.
  11. Ducreux Augur

I liked LoN until scenarios started restricting the use of cards and whatnot, I never really could understand what was and wasn't allowed in a deck and ultimately stopped even trying to figure it out.
  12. Nniki Augur

Initially, I just wanted booster packs to get rare cards to build decks and play the actual card game. The EQ loot cards at the time were really just a bonus... I actually managed to score a Familiar of Lord Nagafen fairly early on and that was one of the main things I wanted from the set of loot cards at the time. However, over time, the loot cards definitely started to become the focal point for LoN. I know quite a few people got upset with all the illusion items coming out of LoN... nice items that you needed to pay for to acquire and couldn't actually obtain within the game where they were used.

However, I loved playing the scenarios and reading the stories describing the journey the player was on... unfortunately, I never really got into PvP because none of my friends were playing the game (partially my fault I suppose for never getting them on and giving it a go... just talked about doing it one day lol... oh well), but I enjoyed the game rules and gameplay. Everyone that I've talked to that didn't really get into it didn't because they didn't understand how to play. I'm not sure if that was due to a poor tutorial or what (I don't really remember how useful the tutorial was to say).

The game seemed fairly straight forward to me (although, I think some cards were bugged and didn't play as expected sometimes, which may have confused some people). I just wish it had become more popular.
    Aenvar likes this.
  13. Nniki Augur

I think they undid that later, maybe? I remember it being annoying too.
  14. Kravn Augur

I understand your stance Absor, and respect it. We have seen a good deal of very nice items generated from LoN however that are now not feasibly attainable. Any timeframe on when alot of this will be added into the marketplace?
    Fanra likes this.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Have to admit I tried the game for 5 minutes. But I have never been a collector card type gamer.
  16. Orbital101 Augur

Im one of those that spent over 50 kronos, 20 millions plat and my DB coins to build my deck and play a few week before it was announced that it would be put down. TBH I cared nothing about the prizes from opening the deck. All my prizes went with trade for cards I wanted anyway. A reward at the end of a scenario or raid in form of a playing card would have been fine. The everquest reward was a bonus that are still pending in my claim window because I will probably never use them.

It took me some time to learn and play with many failed tentative to quit to try again in a few months ever since LoN came out. Until I took the time to read the instruction lol...Once the basic is in with what is needed to win was then a question of knowing what cards to get to build different tactic decks. I was raiding almost once a day and was hoping to see more raids added. LoN was a great card game once you knew how to play but very hard to understand is probably what stopped cold everyone trying to play it.
    Aenvar likes this.
  17. Brohg Augur

I feel the same way. I enjoyed the deckbuilding, I enjoyed the games as puzzles with a bit of randomness mixed in, I enjoyed the monthly challenge scenario, I enjoyed the lil' lotto each month opening the packs included with EQ subscription … and I didn't buy packs unless there was special loot to be had for EQ.

At this point, what I lament is that the game had to be completely sunsetted instead of transitioned into a complete (as opposed to continuing) status.
    Aenvar and Nniki like this.
  18. Caell Augur

If it was playable on a tablet I could play it while the family is "watching" television and hang out with them instead of sitting upstairs on the computer. But then if I'm sitting at the computer; I might as well actually play EQ instead of a card game based on it. And while the loot cards were cool (and yes my rogue does have her Chalandria's Fang) it wasn't a primary focus for me when playing.
  19. Siddar Augur

Yes I would.

Not say game couldn't be improved it was to much of weenie rush for most new player. Basically doubling starting life totals would have made the game playable by many new collectible card game players.
    Aenvar likes this.
  20. Tsolaes Elder

I'd still play too! I was casually finishing the Scenarios on Hard for fun and achievements. Could it really be that hard to make an offline version by just removing the multiplayer aspects? I'm sure, if Daybreak allowed the code to be released, someone could figure it out. Then LoN fans could still look through their collection of neat artwork, make decks, and play scenarios. Just burying the game with absolutely no fanfare from devs (I was there at the very end in the chatroom with the real fans) was a major disappointment and an insult to all those that put hard work into making the game.
    Aenvar likes this.