Coming back to the game

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Andrew Coste, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Andrew Coste New Member

Hi all. I want to come back to play once again and I have a few questions.

1. What is the difference between Ragefire and Phinigel servers? I know one thing is Phinigel has a higher population, but what else is different?

2. I have characters on Ragefire. Can I transfer them to Phinigel? I don't mind paying if I can.

3. Are we still allowed to have multiple accounts and box?

4. If you had to choose between playing a Monk, Cleric, or Enchanter for grouping and raiding purposes, which would you choose and why?

Thanks everyone.
  2. Behee Augur

Ragefire and Lockjaw are slightly older servers, Phinigel was created a while later. Phini is a True-Box server, so you can box but need need a computer for each account running (the game won't let you run multiple instances if you are logged in to Phini).

Phini has instanced raids, so guilds can raid at their own schedule (only open world raids are contested, instanced ones work by a lockout system). Luclin raids, for example, are instanced now.

There are now also pick-zones for most combat zones in the game, but all servers have these now. Once a threshold is hit on the player population in the zone, a new instance of the zone is created and you can use /pick to move to the new instance. That is part of how Phini can manage it's substantial population, since people often go to the same zones. Now we have several instances of the zone to play in.

Phini experience is slower than Ragefire and Lockjaw servers.

There are other differences too, such as Phini progresses to the next expansion roughly every 3 months without a vote. Lockjaw and Ragefire vote for their expansions and are still on 6 month cycles for new expansions. Hence, Phini is the newest of the three servers but it is also on Luclin expansion, with PoP coming out Feb 1/2017.

Because of the differences in rulesets there are no transfers to Phini, paid or otherwise.
  3. Kyel Journeyman

1. On Ragefire when an expansion is unlocked the content must be defeated and then a 6 month timer is started and is voted on at the end of that time to unlock the next expansion.

On Phinigel expansions unlock every ~12 weeks regardless of the time to defeat the current expansion and there is no vote. Most raids have instances so you don't have to compete for them to be up in open world if you don't want to. Experience is also slower on Phinigel than Ragefire.

2. At this time, and most likely not in the foreseeable future, you can not transfer a character to Phinigel from any other server.

3. You can have multiple accounts and box on Phinigel, but due to the true box code you will need a separate computer to box.

4. Personable preference in my opinion. Due to the nature of progression servers attrition happens and I doubt any raid guild would turn down a good person of any class. My suggestion would be to play whichever class you would enjoy the most. Group wise all three classes are solid choices.

Enchanters are a solid support class with buffs and debuffs and can bring excellent dps with charm pets.
    Monks are great pullers and solid dps and can even do some tanking.
    Cleric is heals and rez... hard to go wrong with that combination.
  4. Hateseeker Augur

1. Ragefire:
    Allows unrestricted boxing, including most third party programs (including those that directly provide benefits to the number of accounts you can humanly control at once) that don't rise to the level of an actual hack
    No raid instancing
    Slow expansion unlock
    normal exp gain rate

Phinigel
    Slow exp rate
    code that tries to prevent boxing except by use of separate PCs
    raid instancing
    faster expansion unlock (3 months I think)
  5. Andrew Coste New Member

Hmm thanks guys. I'm wondering if I should just start over on Phinny. Hopefully it's not too late to start fresh?
  6. Behee Augur

Log in to Phini with a new character and check it out. Try to get to Bazaar, and see how busy it is (especially at night when people have their traders up). You might need to try a few of the lower level zones to find groups, but there are more and more groups available as your level increases. The cap is still level 60, people are now working on AA's.

You have until February before PoP unlocks, so you have lots of time.
  7. Kyel Journeyman

Never too late to start, though finding groups might be a little slower in the beginning because we just had a bonus exp period so you just missed a wave of alts people were leveling up, but there is usually people of various levels trying to level up. You just might need to be proactive and send tells to people in your level range to see if they got open spots in their groups or just start your own groups and see if others want to join you.
  8. Andrew Coste New Member

Awesome. Thanks guys. I'm going to roll a monk but can't decide human or iksar. I hate the fact that iksar's get a 20% xp nerf.
  9. Kyel Journeyman

There are no experience penalties for race/classes any more so feel free to play an evil race.