Everquest Books

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sheetz, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Sheetz New Member

Just wondering if anyone has come across any good books or blogs of Everquest?

I saw this one and was wondering if anyone has read it. I thought I read that he makes up location that aren't actually in the game and that would just take me out of it.
    The Ocean of Tears by Steward Weick

Only done some cursory research, but I would just love to fall into a story of 6 adventures (a group) that does some missions together, maybe see them leveling up? "Oy! Radakin! Let's see that new fire spell ye got, ye bloody magic user, and burn this troll's eyebrows off!"

In the backdrop is the intrigue of the PoP story arch. Then the group of adventures go through PoP progression. I dunno, I'm not a writer. But it would just be so fun to get lost (re-lost?) in that world and see some character development. Hooky stuff from a a dark elf and high elf settling their differences and finding common ground (the nerve! what their elders would say!)

Or just to describe and visualize the game. Like how a tank "tanks." Blocking and riposting and being pushed up against a wall, while the dps attacks from behind sorta thing. Enchanter/bards mezzing adds as they spawn.

Anywho, would be neat.
  2. Superswifty New Member

Hey you, I know you!

Also, i have nothing useful to add to this post.
  3. Cactuszach Elder

There are some really good ones. Most are sadly out of print and a little tricky (expensive) to find. I'll add links to Amazon if possible.

One of the best is the 10th Anniversary book. Lots of great content from artists, developers and players over the years. Pick this up if you havent --https://www.amazon.com/EverQuest-Anniversary-Collectors-Rusel-DeMaria/dp/0744010683/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1478807188&sr=1-1&keywords=everquest

Everquest: Truth and Steel by Thomas Reid: I remember being really good but I cant find my copy. It was a fiction story that took place in the world of Everquest about a group of Paladins searching for a lost member of their order. --https://www.amazon.com/EverQuest-Truth-Steel-Thomas-Reid/dp/159315223X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1478807188&sr=1-2&keywords=everquest

Everquest: The Rogues Hour by Scott Ciencin: Maybe not the best but its fairly cheap and has a pretty good ending. Worth reading if you can find it https://www.amazon.com/Everquest-Ro...rd_wg=IWFvo&psc=1&refRID=BNGAR41JD31CRCYBFY6S

Everquest Atlas: The Maps of Myrist: Not only does it contain maps from Vanilla through Planes of Power, there is lots of great lore and descriptions included with each map. Worth picking up even if the concept of printed maps is outdated. --https://www.amazon.com/Everquest-Atlas-Myrist-Ryan-Barker/dp/0972149503/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1478807188&sr=1-8&keywords=everquest
    Dances likes this.
  4. Cactuszach Elder

Also. there was an Everquest RPG similar to D&D that had lots of lore included in the books for the game. Its been ages since I played it and I no longer have the books, but I remember them being pretty cool.
    Reht likes this.
  5. Reht The Dude abides...

I really really enjoyed it too.
  6. Imak Augur

I have Maps of Myrist and it is outstanding. Its extraordinary not so much for the maps themselves, which are presented in kinda multi-level 3D-ish topographical format, but for the wealth of superb lore.

Near 600 pages, coordinated by Ryan Barker (dev-Rytan), arguably the Omnipotent Lore Guru of EverQuest. Contains all zones through Planes of Power, with backstories behind noteworthy NPCs in every zone.
  7. Shaantara Made of Moonlight

Gialana likes this.
  8. Haste Lorekeeper

Did you really name your forum name after a gas station chain? /boggle
  9. Geroblue Augur

I have several of the hardback rpg books, they are ostensibly d20. Players book, referee's book, monster book, and I think one of the city books. Probably packed away in a bnox somewhere with many of my other books. And received the Truth and Steel book as a Christmas present around 5 to 7 years ago.
  10. Sheetz New Member

Thanks for all the great information everyone! Not you though Swift.

And yes... I was young and would walk to Sheetz after my family went to sleep, buy junk, and then play EQ until 6am.....simpler times. Sheetz is my main. A bard, so Sheetz of music maybe?

Any chance that dev-Rytan is the inspiration for the Rytan line of songs for bards? Very cool. Again thank you all!
  11. Kravn Augur

A lot of the "old" spells and items were named after some of the original Devs and/or first gen power players. Rytan, Tolan, etc

Additionally, Older EQ has some interesting pop culture references in it... for instance, one of the SK epic 1.0 mobs... Ekim Nottap... Mike Patton of "Faith No More".. Apparently one of the Devs were a fan =)
  12. Sheetz New Member

Very cool! The pop culture nods are always fun. Like the Dune nod in that shrink clickie anniversary quest. The spice must flow....
    Shoot, now I'm gonna go read Dune again.
  13. Kravn Augur