What are the chances that Phinny will be dead like other TLP servers?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by gameboy, Oct 12, 2016.

1. gameboy New Member

I'm a completely new player here and would like to try everquest like it would in its beginning days.

I want to create a character on a TLP server but was wondering is it worth it?
    The other TLP servers are completely dead. Why did this happen? and would it happen to Phinny?

I just don't want to waste my time and money to play on a dead server.
  2. Bobalob New Member

No more dead than any other server. You'll have a good, solid year or two. After OoW things get wonky.
  3. Lifetap Augur

it'll be the first to die.
    everyone will come crawling back to ragefire.
  4. Lawyer Augur

It is known.
  5. Tudadar Augur

You cant really wait to find a server that you will play on for 5-10 years (and hope no new servers open for those 5-10 years). When new real TLP servers open lots of people rush to them. Phinny will still have a few guilds stay back. If you want to play just join and play and what happens in the future happens. There are no guarantees anymore. its probably 15 years too late to start playing EQ though.
  6. justasub Journeyman

ur "completely new" and would like to try a TLP....but say other servers are dead....and will phinny be the same...you either tried it already...or are trolling...good try
  7. Brumski Augur

Once Phinny gets past POP and RF/LJ get to an instanced expansion we will see a lot of attrition I think. Reasons being people will be tired of the horrible XP, tired of using multiple comps to box or want to be able to box easily, instancing providing more people opportunity to raid on RFLJ.
  8. SqueeshSqueesh Augur

What might kill Phinny in the near future is the 6 month long PoP era coming up soon followed by the double expac unlock. I doubt anyone will go back to the cesspool that is ragefire after that given that they will have just started PoP. No one wants to be in plane of time for a year.
  9. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

Pretty much this.
  10. Deadshade Augur

If Fippy and Vulak are any indication, PoP is the turning point where attrition accelerates and no new players join anymore .
    This doesn't mean that the server becomes a ghost town in a week but that the population starts to contract around a few large raiding guilds with maxed up characters while casuals and small family guilds disappear .

Actually the TLP population has already significantly decreased - during the first 6 months Ragefire and Lockjaw had dozens of players in almost every zone, LGuk had up to 7 instances etc .
    Compared with today, I'd say that that between classic and Velious the population has been divided by 2 or 3 (estimated by visiting popular zones)
    Of course the opening of Phinny contributed to the Ragefire and Lockjaw decrease but the sum of the 3 TLP servers today is much less than Ragefire + Lockjaw alone during the first months.

So if you start today on Phinny, I'd say that you have about 1 year of grouping if you play casual and a bit more if you join a raiding guild .
    And like it was already said above, you are anyway 17 years too late to play EQ during years with large numbers of players :)
  11. AgentofChange Augur

Chances of phinny ending up like every other TLP are inevitable. It will happen.

That being said, it'll likely happen later than the past TLPs simply due to instancing retaining more people. Still though, a large enough playerbase should exist for at least 1 guild to beat every expansion for a few years to come.
    Accipiter and Arclan like this.
  12. Machen New Member

Don't know about Vulak but this didn't actually happen on Fippy. There were still plenty of new players coming to the server well past PoP. I met new players almost daily when I was playing lower level alts during OoW. And there were still quite a few casual guilds and family guilds around for a while past pop.
  13. Maybach99 New Member

it's funny (and worrisome I suppose) to see so many of the live vets saying PoP will be the deterring release when myself and a lot of the people I know who've come over recently came here to play that expansion almost specifically + onward. I quit @ Luclin release when I played live so I couldnt tell you one way or the other what it did to other servers but everyone on P99 swears PoP is the greatest raiding expansion in any MMO ever
  14. Arclan Elder

When too many players ruin the experience of lower level players, the server starts to die.

Phinny has everything going for it, and I am very interested to watch its population as expansions unlock. As individual player power grows, the ability to RMT becomes easier. I have seen people auction in channel, "WTS goulbane loot rights." This means some AFK mage is parked there farming. I've also seen one player selling twenty Black Alloy Medallions in the bazaar. This also tells me an AFK mage is farming that spawn.

My theory is consistent with those who say POP is the turning point; considering its raising of the level cap and new AAs.
  15. Maybach99 New Member

You can buy plat with money, why is RMT of any worry? It's legal
  16. MBear Augur

I would guess he meant that when more powerful players can lock down more content, people get tired of not being able to play that content or finish quests without paying off the person perma-farming the camp so they go do something else - sometimes that means play a different game.
  17. gameboy New Member

a few months ago i was going to try ragefire but ended up not doing it due to real life and the population was high that time now its very low whereas phinny is high. so why would i be trolling?
    Arclan likes this.
  18. Arclan Elder

That said, I would love to know the hearts of those who left. Was it because of a bad taste at seeing that afk lvl 60 (or 65) parked on a spawn? Was it the feeling that it takes far too long to catch up?

On a positive note, I noticed the bazaar had 600 traders up; likely the limit; and wondered what % of the population this represents? If 10% of players are selling stuff in the bazaar at any given time, that would mean Phinny has a population of at least six thousand. Quite solid. Could it be twice that? Inquiring minds want to know. Still lots of fun to be had on Phinny; this goose is not yet cooked.

Not long ago I saw eight instances of Velks; that means 240 players in Velks alone (albeit different instances). Greigs end has 100 players regularly (30ish each in 3 instances). The LFG list below 60 always has people; and the LFG list at 60 had more than a dozen when I checked it last night.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

The current limit is 600 and it's maxed every night. By morning (PDT) it's down to about 575.
    Arclan likes this.
  20. Baldur Augur

Fippy took a big hit in population when the first GoD vote failed. But failed votes won't be an issue on Phinny.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 50% exp pots for sale in the cash store on phinny now. Makes exp faster if you're willing to fork over the cash. That might make it easier for new people starting to catch up if they keep releasing higher % exp pots. What's the biggest ones you can buy on live, 100%?
    Arclan likes this.