Tribute clarification, hopefully from a Dev...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Cicelee Augur

One personal tribute item gives you mana preservation 12. This provides a mana savings on any spell cast up to 10%. The way I read this, for every spell you cast you have a chance of saving 1-10% mana.

I have TBM raid shoulders, which provides mana preservation on detrimental spells up to 22%. The way I rad this, for every detrimental spell you cast you have a chance of saving 1-22% mana on that spell cast.

Now I don't believe these two things stack. However, does the game work where for every detrimental spell cast it does a check against both personal tribute and raid shoulders and uses the best result?

As in, if I cast a fire spell and the game rolls two numbers. The tribute gives 8% mana savings, the shoulders give 6% mana for that spell. Game uses tribute for that fire spell. Then my next spell I cast a magic spell, and game rolls two numbers. Tribute gives 3% mana savings, shoulders this time give 18% mana savings. Game for that spell uses shoulders that time for mana savings.

Is this how the game works? Or does it just always use raid shoulders and will never use the personal tribute?
  2. Kunon Augur

Yes. This is also true in several other scenarios involving some buffs/discs/AAs/etc. that have overlapping variable bonuses that you can have at one time but whose benefits do not stack.
  3. Beimeith Lord of the Game

No. It does not work in the way she outlined it above which is to roll both separately and use the higher roll. The game first checks which focus is better -on average- then rolls just that focus.

Therefore:

The game will do a check and see that 1+10 = 11 / 2 = 5.5 for Tribute and 1+22 = 23 / 2 = 11.5 for shoulders and 11.5 > 5.5 therefore use shoulders. It will then roll 1-22 and use the resulting die roll for that spell cast.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. FixShamanPlease Elder

I think current group gear focus is better except for DoTs (mana pres, power and cast time). To be sure, you can set 'spell focus message' on in the options and check what focus is fired with trib on.
  5. Siddar Augur

The game uses the highest value one (shoulder) and ignores the lower value one (tribute), there is no double check.
  6. Cicelee Augur

Thanks guys for the info. Still wish a dev would chime in and confirm as well, or at least a source is listed. Not saying I don't trust or believe, just ... well, internet.

Also bummed I have been wasting tribute over the past year on a meaningless thing.
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I'm right.
    Tiensx likes this.