anyone experienced with deleting a character to use its name

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by gnomeboss, Oct 4, 2016.

1. gnomeboss Augur

i have toon A. lvl 105. some aa. i hate her. i love her name.

i have toon B. lvl 105. many aa. i love her. i hate her name.

i want to rename and/or delete toon A in order to rename toon B. i've deleted lvl 1 toons before and reused the name, but i wasn't sure there were possible checks/restrictions in place for toons higher than lvl 1.

worst case scenario is i rename A. attempt to use name on B. denied by some gnome hater. try to rename aA back. denied on this too. and now i have two toons with crap names.
  2. moogs Augur

I have deleted characters to re-use the names. Sometimes it would get stuck and say "name already in use" and I would have to petition. If they've transitioned from flat files to, say, a SQL database then it shouldn't be much of a problem today. I'm wondering if it would be easier to create the new character after a 24 hour waiting period just because DBG clings to archaic systems and some things are Just Weird.
  3. EnchFWO Augur

A word of warning about this... if at some point the name you want to use (or part of it) was added to the "banned name filter" then once you delete that character you'll never be able to rename another with it even if it's not in use. Don't bother petitioning either - they won't fix it for you anymore unless you get a GM in a good mood (ie. won the lottery good mood).

My suggestion is to try and create a character with that name on a few different servers and see if it's allowed unless you're positive it wouldn't have been added to the filter. Then again... you'd be amazed at what gets flagged as "offensive", etc.
    Vdidar and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  4. Lighteningrod Augur

Excepting the above warning about the filter, I have used potions to recycle names on high-level characters and it worked fine. Most of the time the name was released by the time I finished clicking through the buttons to change it. Once or twice the name was tied up in processing and I got the "name in use error." I just kept trying every few minutes until it went through.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  5. snailish Augur

Reusing names on the same server keeps your UI settings. Can be funny if you delete a set up Sk and recreate as an enchanter for example.

Moving the character you hate to Zek (if possible) for free is another way to free up your name you want.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Critts like this.