Old Grumpy Men...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by IblisTheMage, Sep 21, 2016.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

So, growing grays (or going bald) is part of getting old. Maybe so is complaining about stuff that you are powerless over. Sometimes, when I read this forum, I think of the two old guys in Muppet Show, looking from the balcony, complaining and being a bit silly. Complaining spectators...

I am of the firm belief that most people on these fora wants the best for the game. I am also convinced that the constant complaining and discontent with about anything imaginable, including changes to the game, is detrimental the key thing that EQ has to offer, and that many other games do not: a strong and helpful community. What we don't have is a large and growing player base, and this is the biggest threat to good expansions, sufficient resources, etc.

The reality of the game, from my perspective, is completely different. In game, altruism, helpfullnes, friendly tone etc etc is fantastic. Even on the other sub fora, people are so very helpful. That is part of what makes EQ fantastic. Reading the Veterans Lounge is a depressing slap in the face, most of the time.

Every time there is another well meant rant (which is most posts here), negative narratives regarding the game are being fed and reproduced, working against what we all can hope for: slowing down the depopulation, or maybe even growth. This is the only priority that we, as a player community can work on. Speak well of the game; in game, in fora, in RL. It is the part that we are not spectators in, and we can and should always be good representatives of the game.

I am very happy that I did not read Veterans Lounge before I came back, I am not sure I would be in the game right now if I had.

The game and community is ours, but it will only endure if we support it, in attitude, word, and ultimately with our wallets.

I think we should change the tone in this fora, and everywhere else, and I think we should all contribute to be positive, and also make sure that we tell other posters if we think they are being negative and really not contributing. Right now the forum (Veterans) is dominated by negative storytelling, and I think it is chasing people away, from the forum and from the game.

I do not work for Daybreak, nor am I in the computer game industry. I made my mage february 2000, closing in on 300 days played (shhh, don't tell my wife), work in IT, have 5 kids, and I am getting my own gray hairs. EQ is the best game that has ever been made, at least for me, I know that now after a few hundred days played in WoW, and a sampling of 10+ other MMORPGs out there, and after experiencing how mobile games have become less and less sophisticated. Also, I am not a native english speaker, so bear with me with regards to language... :). Stay safe, /wave (Ibliz, formely Iblis, of AB, formerly Karana).
  2. Kodjak Lorekeeper

I very much agree with you, and your english is better than most.
  3. GothicCelt Lorekeeper

I also agree with your posting ... your English is also very good.
  4. disgruntled Augur

I'd like to see a good faith effort on their part instead of shutting us down and locking us out.

formerly, Briyn of Karana
  5. gotwar Gotcharms

This is a very good post, Ibliz, and well said.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I have to agree with the OP to a point. When I read negative movie or book or restaurant reviews, I am less inclined to participate. Ironically. the same people who complain about each iota will find the game dead in a few years then they will have posts asking "How can we save the game?" or "Can we crowdfund it?" Etc. On the other hand, I see no reason for a train of nerfs when this is not like balancing PVP (see Planetside 2 kind of nerfs). I guess we could change our tone and many posters already do a great job.
  7. runecrow Elder

Well, we all know the philosophy of the glass of water. Some see it as half-full, and no matter what you say, they say it is half-full. Other see it as half-empty, and no matter what you say, to them, it is half-empty. But what if I told you there was another path. You see, secretly, the glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is, in fact, perfectly balanced.

[IMG]
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Man, I'd love to crowdfund this game, and stop the management from making the stupid changes they seem to stumble into on a regular basis.
    disgruntled likes this.
  9. YellowBelly Augur

Some people are vocal because it gets results. I'll give a real life example. My wife needed a nebulizer for a horrible asthma problem. The pharmacy told her she would have to wait until the next day due to insurance issues. I called them back and used assertive and not so nice words to explain why we needed it now. A half hour later they called us back and said it was ready for pick up. She could have been seriously sick or worse due to some twenty year old airhead checkout girl. Age brings wisdom and if EQ people are grumpy there must be a reason for it.

The point is speaking up can get results. The people just sit back and take it are the ones that suffer.
  10. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Or the glass is twice as large as necessary.
  11. Critts Augur

Or there is no spoon....
  12. snailish Augur

It is a bit of a tendency for people to say what they don't like or want to see changed.

I personally, really like the NPC trash talk the old world goblins use "methinks you'll be good to eat" still cracks me up years later. I also like the Kunark Goblin models being different than old world. I like that there is a goblin menace to the world in original and Kunark (and a nod to it in TSS).

I suppose I could start a thread "Aren't EQ Goblins great?"... but haven't ever been struck with the need to do so. Now if they decided to make all goblins a new generic model in toothpaste green, and removed their chatter it would be time to raise the burning torches and pitchforks.
  13. fransisco Augur

I agree with the OP. Way too much doom and gloom here.
    Daybreak has done more in 10 months than Sony did in years. Keep up the good work.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

As with many posts I think the sweet spot lies somewhere in between this and what the poster is against. All doom and gloom solves as little as being all rainbows and puppies does. Just my opinion though.

I think that all we need is less reactionary posting and more thoughtful posting. Heh heh as hard as some may be able to believe I start many posts that I end up never posting because as I think about it I figure its not really adding anything to to the conversation OR I change it because I am taking time to think about it more then just responding to it.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Could have sworn I posted this yesterday, but here goes again, for your enjoyment :)

Tat
  16. Critts Augur

You did it must have been removed. Or rolled back.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

"You did it must have been removed. Or rolled back."

OK, thanks, I thought I was getting early-onset Alzheimer's!