no clue what good a new expansion will do with most servers players MIA ...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evertrek, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Zachton Soulstriker Augur

Mercs did not kill the game, with a shrinking player base the allow people to get things done when they can't find a group, let a group do something even if they are missing a key role, or if they just want to do something casual. If I'm actually doing something I much prefer people to mercs. Any decently geared toon will do FAR more good than any of the mercs.
  2. MrMajestykx Augur

omg ....gasp....TALK TO PEOPLE?? what a novel idea San..I couldnt agree with you more on that and the fact that you can get ALOT done in the time you state. So many in this game was a Betty Crocker easy bake oven game, cookie cut it get it done in five minute and what can you hand to me next. Suck less work a little bit and enjoy the game more ....most of these people who cry the sky is falling and oh me oh my EQ is falling down cuz its not easy wouldnt have lasted a day back in the day, when there were no maps, runnning naked thru leery zones to get to your corpse...etc etc...oh did I mention the classic breaking into Fear? yeah good times , game is too hard? go play another game and for the love of Mike stop whining here, the devs I m sure dont enjoy seeing it either for the work they try to get done with what is given to them.
  3. Lizzarn_01 Journeyman

"The unique game that EQ is"
    "People like being forced to group"

Etc, etc. Right, then tell me why 99% of us are forced to use 2 or three accounts? Yes, that's pretty unique. Unique that we are all so addicted we are willing to pay $30-$45 a month just to make this game playable... Suckers, the lot of us. But you keep thinking we are unique with your boxxed group.
  4. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

This really is meant to be a social game.

If I didn't have my guild and 3 real life friends (occasionally 4) to always have around for groups, I wouldn't get very much done.

I understand the allure of people running boxes but you'd be doing yourself a service finding a good guild - if you have to server transfer to find it omg do it! You're game experience will be far better for it.

There are so many guilds that have been around forever - there's one for every one. There are many of these ancient guilds on Bristlebane and these guilds have been round so long for a reason. They have history of success and have been healthy environments for players longer than WoW has been Live.

If you don't think you can make the commitment for Ring of Valor, Fu World Order or my home RA there is Circle of Legends and Legion of Valor <-- super classy family guild and has been forever. There are great people I used to be guilded with in CoL and they are now killing TBM events on their own. I don't know much about THC, (other than it gets NFL players suspended!) just that they used to be a raid guild on Vox and I think they participate in open raids with RoV. I'm sure my auto-immune brain is forgetting some other active guilds on the server.

Getting onto a busy server like Bristlebane is a smart step. If you start having success your confidence will grow and you'll become a better player - this makes the game more fun. I don't know how I can express into words how amazing the environment is in RA for me and my friends. It really makes the game so more fun. On BB you'll be on a server with 3 end game guilds to chose from and figure out which best serves you. My hope in this kind of post is obviously to entice committed players to BB so we can recruit you! :D

RA started with a raid force predominately raiding in group gear and is now a top 10 guild across all servers. We continue to mold group players into quality raiders. I had to make the pitch ;)

BB is a good place to be with a new expansion looming!
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  5. Aghinem Augur

This logic is like a cat chasing its own tail. The very people who typically complain something takes too long to get done are often the same people who also complain that there is nothing to do because you breezed through the game and are now bored.

EQ like any MMO is a timesink. Time should be irrelevant factor in terms how long it does or doesn't take a person to finish content, being everyone is different.
    disgruntled likes this.
  6. Thancra Loladin

Yeah, how awesome it was not being able to do anything if you had no cleric / healer to grab for your group. An amazing game experience for sure that made you group with just anyone, good (rarely) and bad (a lot of the time), not because you liked the person or he was a decent player but because without its class (cleric) you simply couldn't play at all. I always had (and still have) a good network of players to play with but I for sure don't regret those situations.

If you grouped with a particularly bad player, you didn't get a good friend to hang with for later, you made sure to avoid him at all cost (which meant sometimes just delogging because he was the only cleric available). It was also easy to know who was a nice and decent player on the server so you could look for that person when you were building up your group. It's exactly the same now (with less people).

The dps mercs allow you to have "something" instead of a blank in your group and the healer merc, to kill some trash while you wait for a real player to log in and for your group to do real things. If anything, mercs let people stay more on the game than before when they simply delogged or went afk due to no group.
    disgruntled likes this.
  7. dwish Augur

I absolutely agree with this. There are literally thousands of MMORPGs + single player games out there that completely cater to people with very little time. We get posts like the OP's consistently, and its always the same thing. They don't have a lot of time to play, have "lots and lots of RL responsibilities", yet want to play a game that is known to be a large timesink if you wish to advance. Then they state the game must change to cater to them and other players like them, even though 99% of MMORPGs released these days are already catered towards them. There are many very good single player games where you can play as much and as little as you want and still advance.

I will never understand the mentality of people coming to one of the few remaining games that actually require a commitment to advance your character, and stating it has to be changed so they can play it, instead of just playing one of the endless other game choices that are out there that do exactly what they are asking.
  8. Rumblerum Augur

Ah, schadenfreude feels good.

Thought I would drop by and see how things are going.

First, there's not enough people who wants to play EQ the "old" way. Well, maybe for one server, but that's it and that's a cold, hard reality.

Second, mercs did save this game. Allowing it to limp along for as long as it has. Obviously they didn't go far enough, with one foot stuck in the past like an old man, remembering his glory days. Those days are long gone, but here you are remembering them like they were yesterday.

The solutions are very simple, yet people here and at DB are blinded by a false sense of nostalgia that sits on the horizon like an oasis that doesn't exist. In any case, embracing that reality, less you just nuke this game entirely, is the only way out. But you trolls can sink along with everyone else as far as I'm concerned.
    disgruntled likes this.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You make some good points, but I think you may be a bit off on this part. You assume people asking for some of these changes are new to the game. I think hardly anyone is new to this game. I'm probably in the group you're talking about, and I've been playing since 2000. I raided in the old days, when I was younger and had more time. Now, not so much :(

I also think it's not that hard to keep advancing even if you're a soloer/boxer/loner, whatever. Many of the complainers need to just research a bit more and see what else may be possible. However, once in a while, there are some valid arguments for changes that would be healthy for the game, and wouldn't penalize the more involved player base.

And remember, for this game you have loved to play for well over a decade, the key to it continuing is for people to keep subbing. And there are probably more casual subs than dedicated raiders/high-playtime players. You want the casuals to keep coming back and subbing, so if a change can make their life easier, and doesn't hurt you, don't be so quick to shoot it down.

Tat
  10. savrin Augur

You are right but mercs literally killed the social aspect of the game and that was my point. People stopped playing with other almost immdeiately afterwards. That was one unique thing EQ had going for it that all the WoW clones didn't. Forced grouping made people be social and have a community. Reputation mattered, now it doesn't because all people do now is play with themselves.

I won't argue the other stuff. I hated waiting for clerics and warriors to log on as much as anyone, but the game was better back then regardless in my opinion.
    moogs likes this.
  11. moogs Augur

A more accurate statement has never been made on these forums. That's for sure.
  12. Sindaiann Augur

I see no issue with playing with yourself, except in a totally different context..........
  13. EnchFWO Augur

You would be the one to make this joke first :D
    Sindaiann likes this.
  14. Evertrek Augur

at this time (and most peak times) i see:

1 server high/full (phinny)
    11 servers medium
    9 low/inactive

total of 21 EQ servers and most are low or inactive. phinny is max full during peak times always.

a new expansion for EQ would be a major waste of time IMO. people are done with the experiments and fails of the past few years. tired of the money grabs and such. make a few mega servers, remove mercs from the game and add back hell levels and corpse runs ;P
  15. moogs Augur

Actually with heroic characters being so common and easy to obtain, it wouldn't be so bad to ask someone to log in their alt cleric healer or warrior tank to form a group. Classes have become watered down and there are a lot of roles and abilities that have crossed over. Maybe mercs have served their purpose and it is time to put them away for good, or at the least allow only 1 per group.
  16. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

The real problem with xpacs is that they're mostly copy and paste these days, and you don't get much else unless for some unforeseeable reason they expand the EQ dev team. Ask the guilds who actually get through current content in a timely manner when was the last time an expansion really held their attention. The answer is: A long, long time ago.