There's music on the moon?!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by runecrow, Aug 31, 2016.

1. runecrow Elder

I've been playing for years now, and have been all over the place, spent long hours on Luclin, and always have my zone music playing. Well, today I hit Dawnshroud for the SCS quest and to my surprise theme music started playing. Over to Sanctus Seru and more theme music! Not too shabby, either. But until this very day there has never been theme music in this zones for me. Surely it's not new music, right? So, what would cause this? Now I'm wondering what other quiet zones I haunt may also have theme music I've never heard? Is there a list of zones somewhere showing which have zone music and which don't?
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

This was updated not too long ago. The music existed but wasn't attached to the zones or something like that. Right after it happened it also started playing a variety of the music in the character loading screen as well (maybe other zones too, but I don't pay super close attention while my character is loading).
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

They did add theme music to some zones about 6-8 months ago. Bazaar was one of them. I preferred that zone to be quiet.

Tat
    Draego likes this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yes all music was changed earlier this year. They "discovered" old files. ;) The log in music change had such a bad reaction from players that DBG put in an option to have a choice on the log in theme only. You can change back to just the old music on log in or a random selection. I think that is in options? The zones themselves cannot be changed.
  5. Malbro Augur

And they added music to when you open the bank, vendors, parcel vendor etc. I wish they'd revert to glorious silence on those.
  6. runecrow Elder

Ah, thank you for the replies, that explains it perfectly. When I first heard it I thought, did they just create new music for these zones? But the music sounded a bit retro so I figured either they specifically created retro-sounding music, or for some odd unexplained reason my game suddenly started playing what was always there. My mind went with the latter since the former just seemed a little too determined for design to think 'Hey you know what we should do- add music to Luclin and make it retro!' Looks like a quasi-combination of both, then? Sweet. Now I feel like questing on Luclin for a while. Right now I'm bouncing between The Buried Sea (going for the Skeletal Hand augment) and Dragonscale Hills (clockwork augment) but I could fit Luclin in there somewhere.

I did notice the new bank music and have to say I really like it. It sounds to me like an orchestral revamp of the old music. I can understand people preferring silence but as for me one of the things I really enjoy is the game music.
    Dzarn likes this.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

That music in the bazaar brings to mind the frozen food section in any grocery store for some reason. I think its to inspire purchasing just like the big grocery stores do.
    Draego likes this.
  8. Draego Augur

AMEN
  9. Draego Augur

Dzarn should be looking at "Suggestions you think would make the game BETTER".

But in all seriousness thanks for having the team work on fixing those music files/creating new ones, although I wish I could selectively avoid a few without having to change my options.
  10. Zheros Lorekeeper

Don't mean to hijack the thread..... but this fits with Draego's comment

While Dzarn and group are feeling nostalgic and fixing/reworking things that are broken could we PLEASE get someone to look into this::????
    Last attempt, partnering with Draego (not knocking on Draego's ability) went very nasty..... some serious B.S. bugs involved in this quest now.....

Thanks D for the screenshots, so I could post the bug....
  11. Captain Video Augur

For the zones that have theme music, the .mp3 files are all in the main Everquest directory. I don't see anything stopping the enterprising players from either removing or changing the ones they don't like. I dunno about the music loops that play for vendors, bank, etc.
    runecrow and Draego like this.
  12. Draego Augur

Thanks for the public slam there Z. I won't hold it against ya for too long.

Like maybe the next time you decide to throw a heal as I'm inc. with a train behind me and decide to Balefire or Stein it.

No tank coverage for Joo!! But in all seriousness, yes please, on looking into that.

Sorry for setting him off on your thread runecrow.

EDIT/ADD:

I believe that even the looped files can be replaced by possibly incorporating them into a "custom" ui folder (though I am not 100% sure). Have been experimenting lately with what all can be changed out using a custom folder.
  13. runecrow Elder

Yes. Myself, I have a "Replace" folder with things like, dragonscale.mp3 that is the Natimbi music; modified potranquility.mp3 which I edited out the loud sections of the music to keep things tranquil, hammer sounds are removed, etc. All can be changed. It will all change back if you don't use a 'patchme' workaround, so I keep all the changes in their own folder, then once I log in without a direct patch, and get any updates, I grab everything in the "Replace" folder and copy it, the into the EQ folder, copy and replace. Boom. No more hammering driving me nuts at the Buried Sea. Anything goes, I've had Daft Punk and Hans Zimmer as zone music.

Hammering and sounds can just be directly deleted, but I just copy and replace the whole folder because I'm lazy. About making the changes permanent through a UI or something, I'm not sure, but if anyone else knows, clue me in on it. As for now only the above works for me.

It is indeed a minor change but, hey, I'm going to give a round of applause to whoever patched the Luclin zone music in there. Great stuff and a nice surprise. Maybe I should actually start reading the update logs.
    Zheros likes this.
  14. Zheros Lorekeeper

Natimbi is easily one of my top 10 zone music files............... just radiates a peaceful gameplay exp.........
  15. Nniki Augur

Here was the original thread about it.

These were the .mp3 files that I saw were updated at the time:

acrylia.mp3
    akheva.mp3
    bazaar.mp3
    dawnshroud1.mp3
    dawnshroud2.mp3
    echo.mp3
    griegsend.mp3
    grimling1.mp3
    grimling2.mp3
    hollowshade.mp3
    katta.mp3
    letalis.mp3
    maiden.mp3
    merchanttheme.mp3
    mseru.mp3
    netherbian.mp3
    nexus.mp3
    paludal.mp3
    scarlet.mp3
    shadeweaver1.mp3
    shadeweaver2.mp3
    shadowhaven1.mp3
    shadowhaven2.mp3
    sharvahl1.mp3
    sharvahl2.mp3
    sharvahl3.mp3
    sseru1.mp3
    sseru2.mp3
    ssratemple.mp3
    tenebrous1.mp3
    tenebrous2.mp3
    thegrey.mp3
    twilight1.mp3
    twilight2.mp3
    umbral.mp3
    vexthal.mp3

Also discussed in 17th Anniversary Stream Replay: Drunken Gnome Race.