RANGER Questions - Epic Weapon Quests, Armor, Arrows and weapon sets

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by RangerToss, Jun 19, 2013.

1. RangerToss New Member

Hey all! I'm back in the game after about an 11 year hiatus. Happy to see how much easier it is to get around and how much easier it is to get XP, not to mention that Rangers appear to actually be useful over level 50 LOL. Went from 52 to 59 in just a matter of a few days that I've been back playing and loving it. Though discovering that all the Ivy armor I worked so hard for was worthless was sad!

So I just found the achievements window - I'm going to start doing my epic weapons quests asap. At 59 are these solo-able or am I going to need groups? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Armor, currently I have a mixed bag of Defiance gear for 50+....now that I'm teetering on the 60 mark, as a ranger class what should I be looking for?

Arrows - Yay I got endless quiver and am working on getting my AM all the way up, think it's at 3 now. What arrows should I keep my eye out for to keep now for best DPS and variety of mobs?

Weapon Sets - being pretty much new to the game, I do remember that there are special mobs (undead etc) that you need special weapons for. I did grab a couple silver tip arrows for my quiver but what sort of weapon sets should I be setting up?

Still digging around looking for what type of AA I need to be doing, found some great posts in other threads, seems that beyond what I've already found I need Innate Camo, Run speed (was wondering why everyone was leaving me in the dirt when we used to be the fastest in game), Headshot and Trickshot. Any that I'm missing? I had none when I came back to the game, though I seem to recall AA was in the game back when I played, it just started at the level I was when I stopped playing.

Thanks guys for any advice or input - and if there's anything else important that I'm not asking please feel free to fill me in :)
  2. Mandelbrot Lorekeeper

I'll leave some of the more ranger specific questions to those who know better, but try to answer some of your more general questions.

Ranger epic 1.0 requires killing Venril Sathir (raid boss from Kunark era, lifetaps for 1500 pretty much every time he hits) and some trips to plane of sky and such. You won't be able to solo those parts at 59, probably not until 70s. Groups are required, but more realistically you just need to enlist the help of one higher level person for the key fights while doing the rest solo. I don't know the 1.5/2.0 quest line as well, but the same will apply, you'll hit walls that required raids back when they were new content, so you'd either need a group of same or higher level people, or one very high level person to help.

Still defiant gear for the most part. At 59 you can start equipping the next tier, Elaborate, which will take you until level 70 when you can equip Elegant. You can do daily hot zone quests to pick up three non-visible pieces (Belt, Cloak, Shoulder) and some of the hero's journey achievements award rings/earrings/necklace/mask pieces. At 65 you'll start to see some bazaar items (specifically the drops from Dragonscale Hill are cheap and common and good stats) that beat or equal defiant, and weapons above level 70 will start to beat to defiant. But until then defiant gear will best everything else you could reasonably obtain.

You need magical flagged weapons to hit certain things. This was a concern in the very first days of everquest, it really isn't now. Any weapon that says 'Magic' on it is good to go, which is nearly every weapon you will come across past level 15. Some weapons will do extra bane damage to certain monster types, but those are few and far between and not required. You do not need to worry about building multiple weapon sets, just get the two best 1Hers you can for your level and the best bow can find, and keep an eye out for a super low delay bow for Headshotting later on.

Epics are the exception, the slow proc from the 1.0 epic might be handy to keep around, and the 1.5/2.0 which has a click effect that is great (increases chance to hit and chance to crit, can be used even without the weapon equipped) and you'd want even after the weapon is worth using for its damage alone.
    RangerToss likes this.
  3. RangerToss New Member

Great thanks for the info!
  4. roth Augur

Look in the bazaar for the highest damage arrow you can find - right now its a 19 damage arrow, I forget the name of it. Since arrows do not have a required or recommended level (can Ammo have such?) you may as well aim to get the best you can get. You only need ONE arrow - you can leave your quiver empty.

You will also eventually (might take a while to scrounge up enough money for this!) want to get a Prescient Fleeting Quiver. Quivers give a haste specifically to archery, that stacks with all other haste effects, just for having it in one of the main inventory slots. Based on parsing, that haste is equal to 1/4 the Weight Reduction listed on the quiver. This is the reason to have a quiver, by the way - not to store arrows (which any bag works well enough for that).

Speaking of baggage, though it was not specifically mentioned in your post, you may find that you have a bunch of odd bags from 11 years ago. Right now, the best "newbie" level bag is a Deluxe Toolbox, which is sold on one or more tinkering vendors in the Plane of Knowledge. The Deluxe Toolbox has no weight reduction, but has 10 slots - something that may be an upgrade for you if your bags are that old. The real kicker here : they only cost a little over 1 plat each. So, rather than spending thousands of plat on one single bag in the bazaar, you can get as many as you need for almost nothing. Although I called it a "newbie" bag, it will last you until you start to get larger bags, either through the Marketplace (though the 16, 18, 20 slot containers are largely a waste of money nowadays) or the bazaar. The bags in the bazaar are the reason the 16, 18, 20 slot bags are a waste, too; you can buy several levels of 12 slot Unexpanded bags and expand them out to 14, 16, or 18 slots, depending upon the bag. Although the expansion of the bags is largely considered inexpensive by people who have been playing the time you were on hiatus, you likely will find the roughly 2500 plat cost just to expand each bag a bit on the pricey side, and will want to stick with the deluxe toolboxes for a while.
  5. Azerafael001 New Member

Epics - 1.0 : I just came back 8 years so ... 1.0 doable at 59 (I finished it at 60 and it took me 1 month when previously it took me 3 years !!!). Just the Shiny Sphere from Plane of Sky. The rest of it can be soloed especially with defiant gear and some decent weapons from bazaar. Bring your healer merc and you'll be fine. Bored but fine.

Armor : I just stuck with the defiant gear (Franklin Teek standing outside the Guild Lobby door in POK will give you 3 pieces for your level if you do some simple (extremely simple) task for him in hotzones. Don't know much past level 65 though as I'm just fooling around as a F2P and checking out the old zones. Seriously some of the defiant gear look like planar drops from the old days so if you know how to play a Rng class, you'll have no real issues.

Arrows - Just pop by bazaar and pick up the one with the highest dmg. It's gone way past what it was before where you need to stock for fire, frost, etc dmg arrows now. You could probably find the arrow for sale in bazaar that does 19 dmg cheaply and that should be good enough.

Weapon Sets - (1) You're thinking of Ssraeshza Temple where you needed certain Bane (?) weapons to do damage. (2) If you're on Firiona Vie server just pop by bazaar and pick up some pre-anguish weapons. I'm almost back to what I had before I quit (quit just before finishing Anguish keys - raid burnout hahaha). Now if I can just figure out how to get a full set of Bladewhisper, I'd be a happy man.

Oh 1 other thing - if you haven't yet, then check out "Courier of Favor" quest on Allakhazam. It's long and gives you a chance to wander around Norrath and the reward is very nice.
  6. Yther Augur

I didn't think VSRemains could be soloed at 59, but I boxed it with mercs at 59, and it wasn't super easy. Wasn't super hard, but was still difficult. I had tried VSR a couple of times at 55 boxed molo, with out luck. Cleric just couldn't keep my tank healed. Was I using 2 Clr mercs or 1 Tank and 1 Clr, can't remember. Was boxing a War and Rng. PoSky isn't bad by 65 either. Boxed it no problem at 65 and even finished the epic part without going KoS, so could still wander around without having to kill everything. It seemed pretty moloable, although one of the fights seemed like a second helped for some reason (summoning or knockback or something).

As said, MQing the parts makes the epic alot easier..

As far as the 1 Arrow goes, that implies you have Endless Quiver AA purchased at 59. Don't go buy one and accidentally shoot it off without having that AA. You can probably find as good or nearly as good as 1.0 epics ratios in the bazaar for cheap, and at 65, you get some SoF weapons which have really nice ratio and almost as good as the 1.5 which you can start working on at 65. You'll need some help to finish it at 65, but most of can be molo'd with good defiant gear and the core AAs, except for 2-3 fights.

As mentioned MAGIC is the only tag your weapons need, unless your raiding specific mobs. If you plan on doing that, just do the research on the raid, and you'll find out what you need to get / do. Most of the bane stuff is old raids, and specific weapons are weapon types now-a-days usually, like Piercing, Blunt, Slashing, etc. or other features, that are common and not specific to only a few weapons.

Hope this helps, and mostly just wanted to say about what levels I've done VSR and PoSky, and the need for Endless Quiver AA, as everyone else covered most of it very well.

Yther Ore.
  7. Lessw Journeyman

what is the longest Range arrow / Bow you can get ?
    not worried about damage just range

Druzzil's Composite Treant Laminated Compound Bow
    Range: 250

Blessed Champion Arrows
    Range: 170
    Deity: Tunare

are there any better bow/arrow combos for range?
  8. Kodjak Lorekeeper

Ancient arrow...best damage I've found is Ancient arrow.

Epic 1.0: Go to zam website and look up the epic, in comments section there's a superb write up in bullet format that I've used on 4 rangers for their epics.

Gear: Defiant till 80, Abstruse starting at 80, Glowing Reis or rustic for 85, Fear touched at 92, Castaway at 100.

Bow: best bow for Headshot (lvl 59 AA) is "Bow of the Destroyer" http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=5833

Honestly, other than defiant, anything pre lvl 70 is going to be really easy to get, on top of that I wouldn't spend a whole lot of energy trying to acquire the best gear at lvl until you're lookin into the 80's Prior to that just having all defiant gear will be better than most raid gear of that pre 70 era.
  9. Dbrane Lorekeeper

What server are you on? If Rathe, i have stuff i can give you. For instance i made a cultural bow/aug for another ranger who then vanished. So if on Rathe and Tunare worshipper you are in luck. I can also help you with epics. I have done them all. Rangers name is Loredrenon...main (sk) is the name above.