Help with box grp

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Randomgamer, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Randomgamer Journeyman

Hey guys, I am currently running a bard,cleric,necro,and mage. I was thinking of adding a druid and either a ranger or sk. I'm just not sure which way to go or if you guys might have other classes in mind. Your thoughts plz and thanks in advance. :)
  2. anvil Elder

well i would go druid or wizard for one slot and probably ranger for the other. druid/wizard for ports and ranger simply because it looks like you are use to pet tanking so why change and just get ranger and autofire or when ya get time to put the ranger in place for melee.... but since you have so many casters why not go enchanter instead of another melee

so i would say wizard and enchanter
  3. Ravengloome Augur

Get rid of the necro, make an SK/druid/chanter

Between IOG/GBW and mage/sk/cleric/druid deepusing a necro will literally be a waste of a group slot.
  4. Randomgamer Journeyman

Thanks for the feedback Anvil and Ravengloome . You both have gave me something to think about. I had thought about wizzy but I figured with druid I would get ports plus buffs and extra healing. I didn't think about chanter though because I have a bard but now you have me thinking. Raven just curious why mage over necro? Burst dps / CoH / ds ? I thought of my necro as a good secondary puller and pet offtank. Although if I make a sk he can MT/pull/ fd and lifetap.

I was thinking sk or ranger i guess cause the bard is the only melee I've played. So I haven't played a true melee before. Wanted to give one a try. I mained a wizzy for years starting in 2000 so really leaning druid for ports spot. Just got burned out on on wiz.

I have thought about the ranger being able to autofire and forget. No offense to rangers. You guys really got me thinking with the chanter idea though. Whichever way I go ( druid is prolly a lock ) I plan on leveling them up from lvl 1 to learn the class. I might just have to make a sk,ranger,chanter and see which I like the best with druid.

Oh the reason I was thinking a melee was with how the pet classes get nerfed I wanted to be prepared if they do something really crazy lol.

Thanks again guys :)
  5. Ravengloome Augur

Chanter will add x10,as much as an auto fire ranger
    Iila likes this.
  6. anvil Elder

i play sk/chanter/mage with mercs when i play alone ( which isnt very often) and my wife plays cleric/druid/shaman. not the biggest dps group but its what we like. and its well rounded. plenty of heals when crap happens and can succor if needed. and there is enough dps to kill things and progress.

the thing that you have to remember if u roll an sk is that tanks are gear and aug dependent. so you might want to keep with the pet tanking.
  7. CakedUpMagi New Member

Just roll a Druid, Enchanter, Magician, Wizard, Wizard, Wizard group.

Magician for pet tanking, druid for heals and black wolf, then enchanter for well...Being OP.
    Iila likes this.
  8. EnchFWO Augur

BST isn't a bad option for some variety if you want to replace one of those Wiz but they also require a lot of button mashing.

Agree though about dumping the necro - I leveled one up (for the sole purpose of farming Solteris lulz) and anytime I try and use them in a group in current content (boxing at least) it's a wasted space compared to almost any other caster class. Of course, this is with an Enchanter. Honestly, you should have went Ench instead of Bard but both can work together if absolutely necessary if you wanna keep the Bard around. I regularly roll with Ench-Dru-Mage core box team and it's very solid. Pretty much anything with Ench + Druid and some casters (including SK tank) will rock almost everything. Kindof sad I went with a Pally over SK these days :(
    Iila likes this.
  9. Ravengloome Augur

Screw it go enchanter and bard!
  10. Randomgamer Journeyman

The bard I wanna keep cause I've had him a long time, cleric also. I ended up rolling a druid, chant and sk. I like the pets tanking on the necro/mage but would like to have a real tank just in case they mess pet tanking up. Gonna see how this goes as I lvl them up. I think I will drop the necro like you guys suggested.

About the augs and gear for the sk I think with this grp I should be able to farm them pretty good no?
    Atm grp will be bard,cleric,mage,druid,chanter, and sk. I was thinking too that if I had a real hard namer I could swap in the necro for 1 of them for sustained dps /shrug.
  11. anvil Elder

i never meant to imply that you couldnt farm the gear and augs for the sk, just that you would have to. and yes you should be able to farm them easily. but i probably wouldnt worry about adding in the necro for a hard name. if it is a hard name that you couldnt kill then you might could try splitting ur group in half and adding mercs.

group one sk, chanter and mage with healer merc and 2 wiz mercs
    group two cleric, druid and bard with tank merc and healer merc and wiz merc

the cleric and druid would focus on healing the sk as well as the healer merc in the sk's group. the bard can switch to a mana song and healing modifying song. you want the tank merc in group 2 in case the cleric or druid get agro from something. and a healer in that group to keep the main healers up and the wiz merc in group two to help kill any adds on group two.

only one group will get kill credit for it but this situation is only if your group cant find a away to kill the name on its own

just a thought
  12. Ravengloome Augur

I am just going to throw this out there, With Defensive proficiency all 3 tank classes (in the group game) are much less gear dependent (to reach a satisfactory level of tanking), than they were in the past.

Also I think IIRC you can fill nearly all your aug slots with either the heroic augs or the COTF vendor augs.

Those augs can easily take a person to 105, once you are 105 you can concentrate on getting good augs.

Compared to how long it used to take to farm augs getting either of those options is a complete walk in the park and might be achievable for someone in about a day of work (8 hours) total and thats being casual AF.

Gear its pretty easy to get some stop gap stuff if you can get a Mirror from TBM.

I recently started a HC paladin to play with a friend on a server i don't play on. It took about a total of 10 hours of work and some plat to get all the augs/gear ill use to go from 85 to 105.

Also Anvil for a split group like that, Wizard mercs will only engage if someone in their group is tanking.

After you hit 105 you are working tanking augs well some of them can take a long time to get

But you are boxing multiple characters so you can split your group between zones/camps and do multiple simultaneously. That cuts the overall /played time to get those augs down substantially.
  13. Raptorjesus5 Augur

I'm a little biased, as enchanter is my favorite class. But I seriously believe if you want an optimal group for group content, you start with an enchanter and go from there. But also, personally I think it's a waste of time to box more than 3 characters and 3 mercs, and you really don't even need more than 2/2 for 99% of group content.
  14. Geri_Petrovna Augur

isn't every boxed group a Bard, and 5 mages? /boggle
  15. lancelove Augur

Get rid of the cleric. Boxing with having to heal is a too much work. Mercs work fine in box group. 1 healer merc is all you need and the rest DPS!
  16. Ravengloome Augur

lolwhat

a box cleric can do a not unsubstantial amount of dps (more than a wizard merc, probably by a factor of X2) Whilst healing.
  17. Randomgamer Journeyman

So I made a chanter,sk.druid, and at last min. a ranger lol. I'm loving this grp so far. I went to unrest last night and was mezzing at 1st then made a charm pet for chant and just started offtanking with sk tanking the harder cons and his pet,chanter pet, and ranger off tanking. with druid and chant dps and buffing.It was a little hectic at times but good fun and no deaths. Almost lvl 20 then I can start doing Teek hotzones. Thanks guys for talking me into going with a chanter :)