Why I quit playing (Multi-Boxer)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Reso, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Reso New Member

I wanted to give a quick rundown of why i stopped playing EQ after about a year of enjoying the game again. First off, I like alot of the things that Daybreak have done with the game. Alot of it is necessary and were good changes. However, from what I have seen it appears they are not very responsive to player feedback. Maybe it is a resource issue, staff issue, etc. but working for a game developer myself in the free-to-play space I can say this is not a good long term approach. I am a multi-boxer. I have a full 6 accounts, fully upgraded, with subscriptions. That is a substantial value. In the free-to-play arena, I would be what we call a "whale" or at least close to it. This means I, and more importantly players like me, are at a higher spending tier than 90% of players and thus bring in a significant monetary value for the game developer (daybreak). Runninng a F2P/hybrid means you should pay attention to what all players say, but if you dont do that, at the bare minimum you should be listening to the higher monetizing playerbase.

I recently stopped playing because of one update that made my gameplay experience a nightmare. I dont know the inner-workings of the game so i wont proclaim it is an easy fix, but it would appear that there may be a solution that requires minimal dev time (although QA could be bigger).

Let me elaborate:

I am a very casual player playing on an odd timezone (playing on a US server from Germany). I dont have alot of time to play and dont have alot of friends on my server nor am i very active in my guild. You could say I'm somewhat of a solo player. I am also a multi-boxer. I box a full group and have alot of fun doing it.

Now, most days I dont have much time. So Teek dailies were my source of quick and dirty exp. On weekends, or days where I had more time I would play more of the game and try all sorts of other things including playing through expansion content with my group. But to keep my team moving forward that daily source of EXP was key. Because it was fast and easy for me to complete.

Now, with the hot zone updates the zones are a PIA to get to. But the biggest issue for a player with a playstyle like me, are the fact that the new zones are not bindable. Meaning I cant bind my taxi druid and ferry in my team easily. Something I could do with all teek hotzones before, which made doing the quests alot less cumbersome. In the new Hotzones not even adjacent zones are bindable. This means it is no longer efficient for me to do the dailies at all. Since this was my core source of EXP, I have stopped playing as I can not continually progress my team forward in the way that I was used to. Sure I could do some heroics, but heroics are a hard time sink. Meaning I cant start one, leave it, go do something else, come back and complete it later. I need to complete it in the hour or so it normally takes me. This doesnt leave me flexibility like the Teek dailies did, which means it is not an attractive alternative to me. :( Maybe Daybreak will hear this and recognize there are other players like me, in which case I would likely come back and continue my 6 subscriptions and spending daybreak cash for illusions and the like.

I do love the game, but as a working person living abroad, with not alot of free time, I found a way I could still enjoy the game and progress. Unfortunately this has been removed. And I dont think it was done intentionally, I think the Daybreak folks maybe just didnt realize how important having the hotzones bindable was to certain players.

So in short: Make all hotzones bindable, I may not be the only multi-boxer who has quit or is considering it because of these changes.
    Ownlee and Vdidar like this.
  2. Aghinem Augur

You were doing fine until you got to this point...

So suddenly because you consider yourself of the 'higher' tier of paying customers that DBG should listen to you first? Give me a break. There are people who literally have 20-40 gold accounts w/ their bot & box setups. Should DBG listen to them first? They pay more than you...

Let me explain something, your complaints about the lack of response from feedback is disingenuous at best. I think you are confusing the terms dictate and demand with feedback. Its a DBG owned game, they will welcome feedback but essentially can do whatever they want.

As far as the rest of this...

The fact you would quit over lack of bind points is laughable. I was actually looking for a deeper issue when reading, and then got this disappointing train wreck - no different than a Stephen King thriller/horror book.

Many people like yourself incessantly complained that the hotzones hadn't changed since...what ROF? The developers came out with a great system that rotates the hotzones every 3 months so it never gets stagnant, and you are complaining about the lack of bind points and that they are a PITA to get to? I am simply trying to ignore the fact you have 6 gold accounts you box, because this is just a matter of laziness - not difficulty; at least in your direct case - and if you are going to claim difficulty, then maybe you should be playing a different game because EverQuest is NOT a hard game.

People seem to have forgot that travel is still part of the game, and one of the most trivial parts at best. What is next? You want a guild hall portal that leads to every zone in the entire game? You want a new script that essentially will play the game for you? I'm sure in your mind, this is a ground breaking matter - but there are more pressing issues on EverQuest and I don't think bind points are something I see most people leaving the game over. Your issue is more of a personal / social issue because you login from abroad and are unable to take advantage of the general social atmosphere most of us have during peak western hemisphere hours.

I suggest you find a server and a guild that has a good population during your personal play hours.
  3. Reso New Member

You seem very upset. I am not demanding anything. I am just explaining why I stopped playing and it seems like a rather simple issue that could be fixed. If there are people with 20-40 accounts (that sounds pretty far fetched to me), then sure they should listen to those people and at least consider their feedback. I'm not saying only listen to paying players feedback, but that you should at least start there. After all as much as you may not like it, f2p/hybrid-f2p games are still businesses. If they dont earn money no one gets to play.

If you disagree with what I am suggesting (that hotzones are bindable) fine, that is your opinion. But dont troll this thread with your insulting attitude merely because I am expressing my dissatisfaction with an update. You can also disagree in a mature/respectful manner. But perhaps that is not realistic to ask when you are sitting behind a screen and have no accountability to not be a %*#(.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Not to mention, there is a VERY simple workaround....

Log out at the end of the day in your hot zone of choice. When you log in, immediately make a fellowship campfire. Now go get your Teek quest, and use the fellowship thingy to port to your campfire. Want to hunt elsewhere before logging? That works, too. You have two hours before the campfire goes away.

Tat
  5. Reso New Member

Thanks for the tip. I will try this, I was not aware of this feature. It's too bad people such as Aghinem prefer to just berate others rather than offer ideas or solutions.
    Ownlee likes this.
  6. Aghinem Augur

Alright, allow me to educate you. Someone trolling the thread would have given you a meme suggesting you suck or something. I articulated a response that you clearly didn't like because the first thing that did catch my eye was the typical "I have x # of accounts fully subscribed, so I have more value" crap, with a tone of putting yourself on a pedestal that your voice or "feedback" as you like to call it should carry more weight. Maybe that wasn't your intention to be fair; however from that point, it no longer was a community issue - rather than a YOU issue, and no... 20-40 boxed / bot accounts are not far fetched. I'm sure there will be many here as the day progresses to educate you on that as there are many people who practice RMTs who take down end game content raids by themselves using "unmentioned 3rd party software".

Now that is a trolling. Maybe you should do a name search on me and see all 1200+ posts, and I think you will find an amazing discovery that I am not a board troll. If I were, I wouldn't have an account.
  7. angelmagyk New Member

I don't normally respond to forum posts.. however this one makes me want to. At no point in your OP did you ask for advice, ideas, or solutions to your problem. What you did was: hold DBG at ransom. You gave them the option of make all hot zones bindable or I will quit and you will lose my 6 accounts.

I am going to side with Aghinem on this. DBG does not have any obligation to change any part of their
    game because the players want it.

Let me propose a question to you.
    So.. since I have a problem with completing a raid target solo. Should I quit until DBG makes the raid target able to be soloed? The answer is no.
  8. Viper1 Augur

Trolololol. Travel is hurd. Do you even remember pre-pok, pre-nexus boat travel? No one should ever be complaining about travel in eq, it's essentially a trivial exercise at this point.
  9. FixShamanPlease Elder

Isn't the point of 6box not to do Teek dailies?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  10. Nightops Augur

I'm not sure what you mean by non-bind-able zones?

I have been running these hot-zones with my necro and shaman. I bound inside the Sarith City gates along the wall right near the target npc area. I believe all wis/int casters have the bind affinity ability to bind themselves and others within group to the spot. If you have toons without gate (or without druid/wiz in the future), I believe the mag cauldron summoned portals are for a gate TL which would give your melee the ability to gate at a rather cheap cost. If you cant get those... everyone has origin which takes you to your starting city which has a POK stone extremely close.

For the Pillars of Alra zone, I bound both toons near the zone in pathway in the Resplendant tower zone. I did not try looking inside Alra as I was thinking someone told me Alra was a no bind zone back during VoA expansion era.

The way I get around is by getting the anchor set from the loyalty vendor and placing the anchor inside the guild hall (you could do it to any housing lot too). When I get the task, I gate to the hotzone and then take the anchor click back to the GGH, then just run back to PoK before camping.

Any similar method like a campfire should allow you to do all of your zoning and killing with a group of 6 within 10-20 mins even with a slow zone time or horribly slow game load times.
  11. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

So um...

I'm 4 boxing

Magician, Shaman, Ranger and Wizard..

Hot Zones, Level 70-90 are:

Arcstone
    Jewel of Atiiki
    Valdeholm
    Meldrath's Majestic mansion
    Fear Itself.

Wizard port to Arcstone, kill 5 mobs,
    Wizard port to Katta, Magician runs to JoA portal and CotH x3, characters enter zone between CotH and kill 5 mobs
    Wizard port to Icefall Glacier, Magician runs to Valdeholm Zoneline and CotH x3, Enter zone between CotHs. Magician runs to fort and CotH x3, Ranger tracks, mage follows for 5 kills
    Wizard ports to Dragonscale Hills, Magician runs to cannon, CotH x3, characters cannon between CotHs, Magician runs to MMM Zone, CotH x3, characters zone in between CotHs, Kill 5 mobs
    Wizard clicks <Teleport Bind> and we land in Fear Itself (Can bind there)

I usually hit PoK between MMM and Fear Itself to refresh buffs

and

NONE of this includes the use of campfires. If a quest leaves me binding in a silly spot more than 1 zoneline away from my target I can run 3 alts there in a fellowship and drop a campfire, then campfire in buffed toons. leaving the alts there for tomorrow if need be.

and

I also have a druid and another wizard I rolled JUST for the extra teleport bind.

If you're whining about bind points AND you're 8 boxing..

You're doin' it wrong.

This isn't even using secondary recall...
  12. Millianna Augur

I didn't want to chime in, but these forums are filled with rude people. The original request for the HZ update was for change of scenery, NOT to add on take forever. There really no point to the HZ quest anymore. I can, and many others, steamroll Gribbles HA faster than I can go to some silly VoA zone to find out the quest mobs ARE NOT EVEN TARGETABLE.
    Ownlee, eqgamer and Eggolas like this.
  13. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

TL;DR - you're more important than the average player (because you 6-box), so DBG should take you srsly, and you wanted to let us know you quit because 6 boxing the "daily" kill 5 tasks is now too time consuming for you, having to run across a couple more zones instead of teleporting directly into them?

Why would you not simply take the same amount of time you're already investing, and run a Gribble (or two), get better exp, currency and take advantage of the 6 accounts you pay for?

It's a big game....there are lots of other things to do besides logging in solely to kill 5 trash mobs and log out again. But yeah, DBG forced your hand by ignoring your valuable feedback? Sure.
    Indrigoth, Your_Ad_Here and Sancus like this.
  14. Vdidar Augur

I think the majority of the community boxes so count that out. Anyone who says disparaging remarks about your issues with not being able to bind is being petty though. There is a reason eq is shrinking and not growing. We aren't children anymore with days after days to dedicate to the game. Convenince is of the utmost importance to your average gamer these days. It doesn't have to be easy mode but wasting time running to zones that were a pita to get to originally isn't helping anyone.
    Ownlee, Lily and eqgamer like this.
  15. Aenoan Augur

Its a bit of a "holier than thou" post. Binding has always been a limited feature, there is a reason why items like Locket of Escape don't exist, its because they don't want people binding all over the place, they want you to travel, and since travel is completely trivialized in this game, there is even less reason to have to bind in places.

You should try p99 or maybe one of the TLPs, see how easy you actually have it right now.
  16. Ruven_BB Augur

Personally I wouldn't quit over not being able to bind. However, the OP did, and let us know why. This wasn't a hostage threat that I'm quitting or else, it was a description of why the individual quit.

In addition, he stated that his departure wasn't 1 account but 6 paying accounts. Given that DBG is running EQ for profit, his remarks actually have more weight than 1 account. And, that what he wanted isn't at the detriment of individual account holders, bind points isn't going to materially cater to all boxers at the expense of single account players, this isn't a boxer versus non boxer thread.

I would have issue if the point of the post was to give advantages to boxers because they represent bigger customers, which is false, the largest category of paying players are individual accounts.

Ruven
    Ownlee, Corwyhn Lionheart and Lily like this.
  17. Ravengloome Augur

Ruben not disagreeing just wondering where you got the statistic for your last sentence? Has that been said/verifiable?
  18. eqgamer Augur

I think campfires will actually hang around 5-6 hours (versus 2). Pretty sure anyway. Peace.
    Ownlee likes this.
  19. jeskola pheerie

How do you 6-box for a year and not know about fellowship campfires? Spend more time learning modern EQ and less time whining on forums and you will be amazed what your box group can achieve.
    Thraine likes this.
  20. CrazyLarth Augur

The hot zones have been changing every monthly patch.
    the current lvl 90 and 95 hot zones are easy to get to.
    (CURRENT) Argath, Bastion of Illdaera Guild portal-
    CURRENT) Resplendent Temple -
    Circle of Alra- druid port- evac- zone over and evac to the Diseased mobs

Or camp fire each night in CURRENT) Resplendent Temple
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.