DDoS attackers question?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Whulfgar, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whulfgar Augur

For those, that actually do this type of attack or any such attack against a corporation, is it possible that .. THAT .. corporation, then is able to sue , that person who has taken is services offline, for how ever the duration of time it takes to get them back up ?

Or not ?
  2. Coagagin Guild house cat

These attacks are all but always launched by a botherder using 100s if not 1000s of compromised machines (trojaned viruses/virii). Not exactly the stuff of corp to corp here but more like the dark web where anything can be bought for electronic coin.
  3. Kunfo Augur

Yeah if they can figure out who did it. Wrongful interference with business or something like that, eBay successfully sued a third party program that was crawling their system (and using up a certain percentage of their bandwidth) a while back. Pretty sure DDoSing is a federal crime too
  4. Rumblerum Augur

That's a good question. I would imagine if said person or persons were kind enough to attach their name, IP and maybe email address, along with the deluge of packets from the army of zombie computers, then yes, litigation is possible.
  5. Whulfgar Augur

DDoS = Direct Denial of Service.

How is this not trackable then Rumblerum ?

The mear fact that its "direct denial" mean's it SHOULD by definition, be a trackable hack..

what am I missing ? Do I not understand how it works ? If not please some one correct me ?
  6. Tevik Augur

The first D stands for Distributed.
    Feldon likes this.
  7. Weverley Augur

If it's like last year they found 1 kid responsible in finland and they brought him to court to no avail but often they are in country where it's very difficult to do anything like china, north korea, russia so good luck to first find who's responsible and then bring 1 or many pêrsons to court.
  8. Rumblerum Augur

No I don't want to explain it. You'll just glean over everything that isn't a preconceived notion.

Your explanation is correct. We'll just will leave at there.
  9. Whulfgar Augur

So then is it not a traceable act in an of itself or no ?
  10. Aghinem Augur

Usually, situations like this are unfortunate because if the attacker is clever - the source signals creating the DDoS may be untraceable. More often than not, this is a police matter rather than a civil matter because any unlawful entry into a protected system is a federal offense. DBG can ascertain the information of who the attackers are subsequent to the criminal investigation, and then pursue civil charges afterward.
  11. Weverley Augur

Basically a ddos it's 1 or many persons taking control of thousand of different computers and all attacking same website. so website can't respond to all those requests and crash.
  12. Redik2 Augur

The first D stands for Distributed, not direct. It's an attack spread across hundreds if not thousands of machines. That means hundreds if not thousands of IP addresses and other identifying information. It's not impossible but it's very impractical to track this down as most of them are also kicked off by someone using multiple VPN's/proxys/other anonymization tools.

Remember the second fast and furious movie? (Unfortunately I do) - When they pack all those cars into that warehouse and all drive out at the same time.. basically causing mass confusion and securing their getaway.. think that.

Sure, everything on the internet can be tracked... but it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that nobody has the time or resources to actually track past 2 or 3 layers of anonymization.
  13. Trikkislick New Member

If Daybreak were to sue whoever is responsible, is DB really the victim since they already collected customer's payments. It seems if DB does collect then they should pay it forward to the actual victims of this attack. I paid my fee but can not play for 2 nights now. Just something to think about....
  14. Whulfgar Augur

Trikk

Under no circumstance, is DBG "not the victim" in this type of situation. I do not care what anyone has to say about that .. Their servers, being how ever secure, is not an open invitation for people to just come in an hack / ddos, what ever you wanna throw up in there.

That's ludicrous to even hint, Daybreak is not the victim in this situation.
  15. Mannhec Lorekeeper

The thing with DDOS or DDROS etc. is they usually use bots.. these are normally innocent folks that do not have firewall security etc. may not even know what that is... think mom and pop. They plant a bug and use it to carry out the attacks... It is not from their computer/server. They spoof the IP's and tell that innocent person's PC to bang at the door of the victim (DB) in this case... so it is not just blocking a range of IP's... it can be from anywhere. Case in point my neighbor got a popup on her pc that said she was infected and to call this number. for 300 bucks they would fix her PC... luckily she came over and asked... knowing I work with pc's.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  16. Aghinem Augur

I'm not certain what safeguards DBG uses; but most companies that deal with a large number of online customers typically have software installed on their networks that acts as a deterrent to DDoS attacks - or at least puts out a warning that one may be onset. Unfortunately, there is not much customers nor DBG can do about it until the attack itself is over.

Edit: There is something they can do. Get rid of that shotgun on H1Z1 quick!
  17. Weverley Augur

I remember FBI and CIA getting those and their website crashing too so if even government can't deal with it i doubt daybreak can. My 2cp.But 1 thing they can do is separate h1z1 servers from ours though so we wouldn't have to deal with the kid.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  18. Rumblerum Augur

I remember getting infected from an EQ fan site a long, long time ago, 2002. I wasn't even aware of it. It came bundled in a zip UI file. It passed all AV flags, well from the software I had at the time.

Whoever created the one that infected me was smart. They didn't try to spam ads (which was the thing back then), but instead was totally silent, benign and hidden. It tracked keystrokes, sent out email and packets all completely and utterly silently, and wiped any logs or traces. Just by sheer luck I found it by going to my router.

Heck, you can be infected and not even know it. I'm leary of even visiting fan sites, let alone downloading anything, although I did, against my better judgement.

The obvious ones are easy to find. The smart ones will create stuff that you won't even know is there, no matter how catious you are.
  19. Mannhec Lorekeeper

20. --Voodoo-- Augur

Most likely it's some dipshit using L/HOIC. Hopefully not bright enough to hide their identity.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.