Mages

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Millianna, May 11, 2016.

1. Behelit Augur

Enkel doesnt get to laugh until he raids again.
    Sancus likes this.
  2. Sancus Augur

[Mon Feb 01 22:14:18 2016] You told Bristle.Cicely, 'I'm going to use Searing Sands on this Inny burn, I may be insane'
    [Mon Feb 01 22:19:38 2016] You told Bristle.Cicely, 'GDI I lost to a beastlord'
    [Mon Feb 01 22:19:49 2016] You told Bristle.Cicely, 'No more sands'
    You and me both :oops:
    Enkel likes this.
  3. Enkel Augur

I still raid on a mage from time to time.
  4. Behelit Augur

So then you're not much of an "RoI mage" if you're raiding in other guilds on a mage =)
    Enkel likes this.
  5. Ravengloome Augur

You cast rod its ok, all is forgiven i mean really if you figure the sheer amount of mana you provide a raid from rods and all that DPS is attributed to you.

Because thats how ADPS works isn't ?
  6. Enkel Augur

Still RoI. Still got my tag, still talk with all the mages, save Waalse (he's rarely on Sundays). You and I know I was talking to Qulas about coming back, again, but I had some pretty terrible things happen in real life that I can't talk about over the forums; Pie knows what's going on. On the topic of coming back, you and I friend had an agreement that I'd come back, on Enkel, on the condition you found a mage that would continually parse within 70% of me, or beat me :p. Also, I did an anniversary, so totally breached that agreement since the terms were not fulfilled!

Enkel: (steam conversations) Find me a mage that can beat me or parse within 70% of me, and I'll come back when real life permits.

Behelit: We both know we can't, the mages here are ******* (no cursing, just a word that might trigger someone) left behind your parse numbers. Can't find anyone else we both know that. Come back as a berserker if you want a challenge.- Conversation continues about your idea for a business according to my copy paste from steam.

Sarcogian: I think I found the mage to beat you.

Enkel: Yeah? Sign me up!

Sarcogian: What server is your alt on again?

I'll get crap for posting this, but w/e! This thread is suppose to be a ton of fun. I also think the world of Sancus and Pie, so for the person that thinks we don't get along, I think the mages here get along quite well.

So, if RL permits I'll probably come back to active raiding, though not sure what class. Since I have my alt mage to play, not sure if I'd want to play a mage there, again. Regardless, you should respond to texts since I've been trying to get a hold of you!
  7. Igniz Augur

How about wizards embraced their utility heritage, with teleportation spells, evac, root, snare, stun, knockback ... and left the job of doing DPS to a class more suitable for it? (beware: slight sarcasm there). Honestly why are so many vocal wizards so massively anxious about other classes getting a boost? Are you feeling threatened by other classes if you only did 25% more damage than us instead of 50%?
  8. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Well I'll stop short of repeating your words, but I will definitely say something is clearly not right with whatever you are doing.

For reference, here is what a Mage in my guild did for combined this last raid cycle:

Life1: 32681k@160991sdps (160991dps in 203s)
    Life2: 41815k@121556sdps (121556dps in 344s)
    Decay1: 140057k@161916sdps (161916dps in 865s)
    Health1: 27892k@134745sdps (134745dps in 207s)
    Crypt1: 51836k@140858sdps (140858dps in 368s)
    Sul1: 49955k@109551sdps (109551dps in 456s)
    Sul2: 64282k@140968sdps (140968dps in 456s)
    • We rotate people out during raids so I'm assuming that's why there is no parse for decay/health/crypt 2.
    • We did the achievement for W&D where you kill the first two wrong which is why the time for that one is so long.
    • We don't burn Sul1 so that's why it's the lowest of his parses.
    • We split raid Sul1 and 2 so the raids are partially filled with alts so they take a little bit longer to do than if they were filled with mains.
    Anyway, lets sum these up and get a combined for the weeks:
    408,518k total damage. 2899s. That gives an average DPS of 141k. That's more than twice your dps.
    Now, this could be explained by our mage just being way better than you, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that probably isn't the case. I'll be honest and say I do think they're probably better, just not -that- much better, (though I have seen it happen before so I accept the possibility).
    Or it could be that our adps classes are more availabe / on the ball. This one seems a bit more likely to me. I know a lot of guilds give first pick of the adps to the Wizards and Mages just get whatever is left over. I knew one guild where the druid in the mage group wasn't giving Black Wolf to his own group but was doubling it up on the Wizard group because they decided that was better. (And maybe it was if they had Mages, idk, but my point is if you're comparing make sure your adps is equal).
    Or it could be that judging by the fact your parse is x3 as long you probably included Hate and/or Fear, both of which are mostly trash clears that have no business being included in a raid parse. I'm trying to think what could make your parse so low and this was really it. It's not just time, because the mage in question held down 162k for almost 15 minutes. Mage sustained is way, way over the 60k you show. The only possible thing that could have your dps up so much is a ton of little fights where in you did really dps like a trash clear. Well, that and Dracholiche.

Well anyway, my point being that the numbers mages are capable of putting out are not nearly as absymal as you are portraying. You may need to look elsewhere for the cause of your issues if you can't seem to do better than what you've posted.
    Jiggs likes this.
  9. Igniz Augur

Beimeith, I do agree that the above parses are hard to compare, as the durations are quite a lot differently. I also do agree that I am probably not the best magician in EQs history - but I am fairly certain that I am the best magician left active on Antonius Bayle. Though this is probably not very hard to accomplish, as there are only a few main magicians left on AB.

As to the group composition, I was in the same group as both wizards, together with a bard, enchanter and druid (no mana problems, yay!).

On the evening in question, we did all events in Demiplane of Life, Demiplane of Decay, Plane of Health, Ruins of Lxanvom and Crypt of Sul but ignored Planes of Hate and Fear - so 10 events with a total duration of just over 5 hours including loot distribution and moves.

What I miss from your post, though, is a comparable parse of any wizard of your guild, which I am pretty sure you could have supplied if you wanted. As you already pointed out, your overall aDPS coordination could be quite a lot better, or the parsed timeframe could be completely different. The fact that your magician did 100KK less damage but at more than twice my DPS supports this ;-) Comparing these parses as absolute numbers sounds quite foolish to me, so I'd like to ask you to provide comparable wizard parses as well (and I am really looking forward to the difference in DPS between your wizards and magicians).

Opinions seem to diverge pretty harshly, too, with some wizards pointing out that they feel my DPS on the given timeframe was "good enough for a non DPS class" while you consider it "abysmal" and practically suggested that I have no idea how to play my mage.

Oh, and btw: my supplied numbers were not taken by me, but one of our rogues.

Auntie Edith wants to mention that the supplied data from me was a total combined of the whole raidevening, while you just added up the numbers from single parses - perhaps there is a slight washiness due to the timestamps of the different fights (which also could also partly explain the massive time difference between your raid evening and ours.)
  10. Millianna Augur

Just a matter of time before this thread gets locked. Let's recap - pets were nerfed. The only things that are arguable are:

1. Was the nerf intentional?
    2. How big of an impact?

The first question is a mute point, because it's hard to argue intent at this point. In my view, the nerf hurts Solo/Molo and raiders the most. Any fight that drags on. Those who group with halfway normal group probably will not notice the changes.
    Vdidar likes this.
  11. Sindaiann Augur

I laughed at so many posts from page 3 onward! Good stuff folks
    Vdidar likes this.
  12. withteeth Journeyman

Pet nerfs made me, and I mean made me, gear my Pally to the hilt to simply try and finish TDS let alone TBM. Mage necro bst bard crew on back burner with more than one having EM 20 so devs thanks for making me roll back my subs to / cough group with others that get me killed anyhow since this is such a social game where you advertise it to bring in a new influx of players. Quit nerfing, you are truly killing your player base. Promise your TLP won't fees you in the end. All those kronos will finally subside, who you thinks farms them from player base??? Meh make pet classes dirt. Last push, and I promise you no one is happy in our community. WTF I had to play a pally to be relevant.
  13. Reht The Dude abides...

[IMG]

Hey Sind!!!
    Sancus, Sindaiann and Enkel like this.
  14. kizant Augur

Maybe you didn't read my post. I said that a parse showing 65% or 70% 'made sense'. Basically, it's not low enough to be an obvious problem as the poster was making it out to be. Especially considering it's just one parse without any real details to go along with it. Ideally, I agree that 50% would be too low and if the number you want to suggest is 75% of wizard damage then I personally would be perfectly fine with that.
  15. Igniz Augur

From the way I formulated the answer you quoted, if should have been very obvious that I read your post.

And I beg to differ: one caster dps class dominating parses on all durations by a very wide margin compared to another caster dps class (yes, magicians ARE a caster dps class) IS an obvious problem. In this regard, it does not really matter if the margin is 25%, 40%, 50% or 75%, and you disacknowledging the magician class as a "utility class" is pretty arrogant, tbh, considering that wizards got as much utility as a magician, only in other fields.

The only thing where wizards and magicians are truly different is the magicians pet - which has become much more of a liability than a strength. The survivability of pets has been reduced multiple times now, mostly because a few vocal "tanks" considered pets too resilient in comparison to players, and the pets offensive capabilities also have been reduced multiple times, because wizards (and some melees) considered pets to be too powerful for a mana-free source of damage.

Between these to movements, pets have practically become irrelevant in raidgame, especially at this time, where they bite the dust far too easy due to missing shielding/spell shielding - yet, one of magicians most powerful raidspells, the "of many" line, is highly dependant on there being enough pets attacking the mob we are nuking to do its full damage
    Sancus, Vdidar and Enkel like this.
  16. Millianna Augur

I re rolled an SK and I am glad I did it. I loved my mage, but simply not worth the effort. Necros are next on the hit list. I'm sure there will be a mass exodus of them when they get bashed in the head with the nerf bat.
  17. Sindaiann Augur

Next? They have already been hit a few times recently lol
    Vdidar likes this.
  18. Triconix Augur

For some reason I seem to recall a recent nerf to FTP and swarm pets.

I'm sure there will be another round when they boost necro DoTs then realize they're wtflol powerful.
  19. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Let's be honest....when was the last time pets mattered on raids, even just a little, other than functioning as a crappy dot that you have to keep alive? Off the top of my head some fun examples...

-PoShadow orb color changing
    -Txevu Zun Muram or other raids with damage immune mobs pets could bypass
    -old old content (like, level 60 stuff) with crazy resists, giving the pet user slightly more dps versus one lacking a pet
    -range dps on mobs with mechanics that pets were able to avoid

So...pets have "become irrelevant in the raid game"? Seems like they've been that for a long time. As a fellow strong-grouping-but-poor-raiding class I can sympathize, but this hardly seems like a new trend; rather something more glaring in the face of a larger gap between competing classes than what some folks are accustomed to.

What is an acceptable %?
    Igniz likes this.
  20. Igniz Augur

I do largely agree with you there, Sheex. Nontheless, pets have become even more useless recently :)