DPS checks - why?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ratbo Peep, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Kobrah Augur

This is stupid lol. If we have 2 tanks in raid mob should hit for max 20k to allow melee and casters to tank ... If theres more than x healers in raid mob hits for 20k more ? If you have 10 tanks in raid theres 2 boss mobs instead ? Before joining RoI .. I've fought wither and decay for over 25 minutes of fight time due to low dps to the point my warder had to tank because every tank would die against wither's effects.. Done lady of life to the point where only when burning could the event be progressed from coffin to coffin .. multiple golems at once.. Never getting the add waves dead on vim / vigor ...

DPS only becomes a "check" when you aren't producing enough. Having 6 groups of tanks and healers might not cut it anymore. Or the slacker dps classes are shining by holding everyone back. If your dps classes are sustaining burn wiz merc dps, you need new dps people.
  2. Aghinem Augur

This is my humble opinion. This is not a DKP issue. This is a guild leadership and management issue.

I think the OP needs to do a general needs assessment.

1. What are the general goals of the guild?

2. What are the raid-based goals?

3. What do you currently have to work with?

4. What are the opinions and thoughts of your guild mates?

5. What are your team mates willing to do?

6. Does your team mates take you seriously enough to stick around and not move on?

7. How frequently do you communicate with your team?

These are not questions you have to answer on these forums, they are questions you need to really address with your team and your officers. Strong leadership will build confidence within your team, therefore they won't have a reason to leave if they believe in you and the set goals you have.

It has taken me over a year to build the KOI raid force, and we literally started at the bottom of the barrel with 2 different raids nights a week doing low-end HoT, VoA & a few CToV dragons. Over a year ago, I set a goal and gave my team my word that we would be in end-game content by 2016. The focus was building team work with a set goal in mind; teaching people to work together, and not only improving their play technique, but improving their confidence in each other. As we slowly became more proficient, I would always assert what our goals were and keep our team focused. Through strong leadership, my team trusted me and were willing to make various sacrifices - such as play classes that we may have been lacking in. Communication during this period of time was vital and remains so.

As we continued to progress further, become better geared, we continued to challenge ourselves and never made excuses about event mechanics. If the mechanics beat us, we would congratulate each other on an excellent attempt - regroup, and go at it again. Every week, we would either work hard at an event until we win or move onto a harder more challenging event after we did win.

Doing this through 4 different expansions in the last year concurrently, it made us a stronger team until we finally met our goal with our first TBM win in April 2016; and we did this while enduring the ridicule of many - being referred to as a scrub guild, lucky, cheaters, etc... by individuals who knew nothing of the pain we endured to grow, individuals who know more about joining a winning team than building a winning team.

The end result of strong leadership, the hard work of our team, the labor, and excellent team building is KOI is now the 3rd guild on Firiona Vie that can make the fair claim of raiding current content; moreover, being non-mandatory with no attendance requirements for our raiders. We didn't get to this position by making excuses. It was through needs assessment and goal setting that was done over a year ago.

The general moral of the story is this. If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything. Hold yourself accountable, because if you are blaming game mechanics - you are instilling failure in your team mates and you don't even know it; and the team mates who do know better will move on because they will lose respect for you because you are looking for excuses rather than solutions.
    Jhenna_BB and Iila like this.
  3. Kaliko Augur

I'd like to give you guys props even though alot of your members claim to never be able to raid because of how long they take but surprisingly they will do 5 hours to kill maestro. I wouldn't exactly call farming 1 mob raiding current content as it kinda gives people a false perspective that your guild might have a good part of this expansion on farm and being raided. It definitely takes dedication for them to take that long to clear pohate and is surprising.
  4. Iila Augur

In-cycle raid changes are normal, and expected. Arx raids had them, as well. And I would not be surprised if there was another tune down for TBM raids in a few months. After that, TBM raids will be ignored forever, unless they break.

The default state of EQ issues isn't them being changed by player request, it's for devs to ignore everything. Then sometimes they implement changes that may or may not have anything to do with what players wanted. The changes may happen months or years after they were requested or relevant.

If I had any input on balancing or tuning raids, I'd be pointing ratbo towards much more casual friendly versions of hate and fear. But you and I have roughly the same lack of influence on such things. None of this arguing is going to effect the issue at hand through changes in the game. If they want to wait forever for a dev change that's never coming, that's fine. But working towards a solution on their own is much more likely to give any kind of results.

I honestly want to know if those AEs overlapping was something Prathun didn't know about, or if he just tuned the raid down. I was figuring that it was a mechanic, but it got changed after someone posted about in the bug thread. If he didn't know about it, then literally every hard part of that raid was because of bugs.

The TDS/TBM raids weren't really designed to challenge us, and they didn't. It's no knock on my ego if some raid we rolled on launch day gets tuned down months later, it lets us be lazier while farming it. RoI wants more raids like PoWar. Raids that will take us weeks to beat, can be nerfed in half, and still take a month for a another guild to beat. I don't want raids that are hard because they're buggy messes, like Tower of Rot and Damsel of Decay.

Never said we couldn't beat it :p Just that it's an anomaly in getting more difficult over time.

Percent based add waves, HP locking, and other DPS punishing/limited mechanics have been a staple of raid events for years. Elly was especially fond of them and put them in almost every one of her raids.

lol if you think we haven't died plenty of times to things like that. But we adjust our strategy and move on. Usually while complaining about long the raid is taking, and seeing how many add waves we can stack up and still survive.

Or maybe we just burn everything and hope for the best.
  5. Aghinem Augur

The article I wrote was to address that this is a leadership issue and not a DKP issue. You want to take cheap shots which has nothing to do with this thread and that is fine. I will correct you since you are living in April, as our first attempt at TBM was 5 hours long. The last two weekends, we have had flawless runs at Maestro - with a 40minute clear time, and a 25-30min encounter with Maestro - allowing us to move on to other events and do other raids, and mind you - this is with an average of 38-40 people - not 54.

To be honest, I can care less if anyone gives props to our team. I'm not in it for props or commendations. If anyone thinks I am doing this to seek validation, they are addressing the wrong person.
  6. Reval Augur

You're probably right, changes to hate and fear would help them more.

Also Aghinem, I think you were trying to say not a dps issue lol. You probably couldn't see it with all those stars in your eyes. Great leadership is fun, keep on truckin into the sun space cowboy. At some point, if you're lucky enough, you'll see what the people on the other side of this are saying.
  7. savrin Augur

I personally think "dps checks" have more to do with bad players in a guild or the guilds that really cannot raid but try to due to low numbers. There is no excuse for losing to arx1 because your dps is so bad you fail due to the timer. Learn to play, get better, whatever works to get it done. If most guilds can do the "dps check" raids then it probably not that bad and you are the problem.
  8. Ravengloome Augur

Difficulty through meaningful challenge? Crazy concept!

It would be pretty cool if there was more legitimate (not fight the bugs till you are blue in the face) challenge in the raid and group game.
    Sancus and Iila like this.
  9. shiftie Augur

Hey remember that time roi called for a burn in the library raid during HoT and we killed the npc and failed the event and then assumed it was broken good times... Awesome dps has its disadvantages. And it also has the dev attention otherwise balance events wouldn't exist.
    Aghinem and Iila like this.
  10. Iila Augur

Remember that time RoI called for a burn and:
    • broke the event
    • spawned every add wave, and died
    • spawned every add wave, and won
    • bypassed the broken mechanics
    • watched half the raid get feared and die to bloodydagger's AE attacks
    • ran into a HP lock 3 seconds after the burn started
    • bypassed unbroken mechanics and literally never knew they existed for the entire expansion
    • got bards, paladins, zerkers, mages, wizards, rogues, monks, necros, enchanters, beastlords, or rangers nerfed
    Bahdah, Spellfire, RPoo and 1 other person like this.
  11. Bamboompow Augur

Its true that raids are not designed to challenge ROI for the most part and we should all be thankful for that!

However, some are still designed to be won by a balanced, ideal raid make up. Some players can suck/be lazy/distracted/poorly geared but otherwise are performing their role. Raid composition of 54 average players kitted in mixed tiers/eras of gear doing an mediocre job with reasonable diversity of decently supported classes = Fairly positive chances of success.

ROI fields a consistent raid force every night more than likely, and while they probably have some slackers like any other guild, they always have the advantage of full kits of the latest gear which are including the best chasers. Being a top guild is understanding the importance of farming every event every week. Regardless of how boring it is and their members understand they have to show up. Even if it takes a 5th of vodka to make it just barely tolerable. So their chances are always better than fairly positive. More like assured without a doubt.

The rub for the rest of us is...well...how many guilds that are raiding can consistently field an ideal raid force in order to even beat events, let alone farm? The answer is.....too few. Far too few. The ones that do are the big names, and for every 1 of them there are 20 guilds struggling with holes in their rosters on any given night. Holes plugged with robots or alts or just not plugged at all. The big question is, are the holes-in-the-roster-guys entitled to finish all the raids and get all the achievements when content is still NEW?

The short answer is "No". It has always been "No". It will always BE "No". Be happy you can still farm other events for relevant rewards, because if all the ROI caliber people were actually challenged by every current raid, than most of the lesser guilds would be gone and the game would be finished.
  12. Aghinem Augur

Sorry, I'm dyslexic and have struggled with it my whole life - bah
  13. Iila Augur

Not every raid should be designed to challenge RoI. There should only be 1 or 2 per an expansion to challenge RoI and the top 5, preferably placed at the end of the final and penultimate tiers. There needs to be a difficulty progression from easy entry level raids, into raids designed to challenge the top 10 guilds, up to capstone events designed to challenge us progression racing guilds.

Each level increase expansion should also include some CNToV style tier 0 encounters designed for pickup level raids. The encounters should be simple tank & spanks with at most one extra mechanic over a damage AE. Minimal time investment required to progress to each encounter (low/easy trash), because those players are going to waste plenty of time on their own. They don't need 1-4 hours of trash clearing like PoF/PoH.

Games NEED to understand the different segments of their player base, and design portions of the game towards each of them. The high end players are much fewer in number, but do a lot for promotion and the aspirations of other players. While the mid and low end are the bulk of players and consumers. Individual players will transition through those categories for various reasons, and neglecting one segment will also cause losses in other segments due to social and transitional interactions.

As much as I would love more PoWar style raids, EQ's lack of support for low tier guilds in the past two expansions is one of their worst mistakes. Right up there with releasing an unfinished expansion.

And despite all that, I do still think that mechanism for depowering events from previous expansions should be the increases in player power from later expansions. It feels like a very elegant and low effort solution.
    MrMajestykx and Nniki like this.
  14. Ravengloome Augur

Think it was Sepulcher 2? (memory is foggy)

"How did you guys deal with the % based adds on such and such phase of this raid"

"What adds?"
    Iila likes this.
  15. Rhodz Augur

That's just funny right there I don't care who ya are. Seriously funny

Now the question is, and always has been I reckon, is anyone willing to bet real money it was unintentional?
    No one has ever been able to say
  16. Iila Augur

When I was fresh into RoI and talking with Qulas about my previous guild:
    "Our dps was so low that we had to deal with the cocoon phase in sep 2 multiple times"
    'What?'
    "Yeah, it was pretty low"
    'What the hell are you talking about? There's no cocoon in sep 2.'
    "Of course there is, the boss goes into it after a couple minutes, then pops out after a bit, and he can keep going into the cocoon if you can't kill him quick enough"
    'Stop lying to me, you're making crap up. The boss spawns, dies, and the event ends.'

Even when we did sep 1&2 later on with a few groups, we killed the boss before the phase transition. So, he's never seen that phase and still gives me crap about it.
  17. Ravengloome Augur

Thats what my post was referencing lol (I remembered you saying something about that so i figured you'd lol at being brought up but couldnt remember specifics)

But really... What Cacoon phase? Do you even DPS bro?
  18. Critts Augur

The artificial fail timers have a reason for being there if you think about it. The items that you can get from Decay 2, Life 2, and Sul 2 ( I think those are all timed) yield an item that will be on par with LV 110 gear or maybe slightly better. The point I'm making is that Daybreak doesn't want a group of 35 40 coming in a beating these events with bots Etc and farming this item that is intended to be rare. If you have a raid force that can beat it quickly that means your most likely not boxing 20 of your 35 players. Once the lv cap goes up doing these raids will become much easier. As far as not beating Arx one this is really more of an issue of players not going into the event with right amount of people or info. If you want to raid you have to do it consistently or completely randomly. Doing it one way will yield much better loots than the other. Ps I didn't read all the comments. I'm very much against the removal of the timers until the content becomes ilrelavent to end game play at that point they may become unbeatable due to lack of intrest. Once that happens removing the timers may be a good idea.
  19. Robnie Augur

This entirely.

RA started on October 17th, 2013 with lest then 10 people. . Our first official raid was SL on January 14, 2014 at #64. Finished current content 8 months later at #30 on COTF t2 9/21. Our first official release we finished 7th on TDS #5 02/05 on Calix. A little over 2 years of official raiding from #64 to #7. Any of the guilds struggling now can make it to the end game or even mid tier if they really work on it. Even if you can't find the best players take what you can get and make this the best they can be. It will not only attract a higher quality of players but it will breed loyality
    Aghinem likes this.
  20. Qulas Augur

The cocoon is a lie
    Iila likes this.