Test Update 5/19/16 - New Bugs Only

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by JChan, May 19, 2016.

1. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

No reason to be so grumpy. The general estimate of "sometime today" isn't easy to plan around if you have something to do today for example. Also I doubt he meant it as humorously funny and more ironic and sarcastic.

[IMG]
    Miss_Jackie likes this.
  2. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

It's something at least =P
    RangerXX and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  3. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

Bah, I'm too tired and sleepy for logic. =/

Edit: Besides, I was wondering if they had any updates.. like, how much longer?
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. bringo322 New Member

Yeah I didn't mean it to sound quite as grumpy as I sounded, my bad. I don't think they're giving any specific updates because they honestly have no idea what the heck is happening to the server, hah.
  5. JChan Developer

The server is back up and unlocked.

We restored the missing characters from the archive as if there was a /bug put in for the character. If you are missing a character or it appears as a level 1 Paladin at character select, please put in a /bug from the account that has the character issue.
  6. Parts Journeyman

Trying to get this noticed still, needs to get pushed to a hotfix ASAP. The longer this goes ignored and the longer other issues or non issues get responded to instead of this, the higher the salt reserves get. I don't care how annoying spamming posts about it becomes, all we need is an acknowledge of it and word that it'll be changed, responding to and fixing other issues just makes it seem like you don't care or believe that we're telling the truth when we say you SHOULD be able to bind in the zone.

So please Turn on binding in Plane of Mischief on Phinigel, Lockjaw and Ragefire while in the era it should be.

Thread here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/binding-in-plane-of-mischief.232698/

Issue tracker here: https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQ-880

Thanks
  7. JChan Developer

And... we're back down. Locking and investigating.
  8. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

This has to be the worst series of bugs in the history of EverQuest. I feel for you and the team Jchan but at this point I'm wondering if this will ever be resolved and whether we'll get anything for the nearly 2 weeks of down time. Not to sound ungrateful for your efforts but from a customer stand point this is extremely frustrating to say the least.

I understand down time is part of life especially on Test but unintended down time that has gone on this long is not normal for us or any other server and anyone from Live thinking I'm just trying to get a freebie is mistaken. We've missed a raid night so far and have people considering leaving the server due to the extended down time and server instability.

At this point I wouldn't mind being allowed to transfer off to another server if this issue can't be resolved relatively soon.
  9. Nefril New Member

This is Test man. Is this a normal thing? Absolutely not. Has this happened in the past? You bet yer it has! We live with it because we like playing on this server. As for the compensation of the server being glitchy? You got to spend time doing other things! Enjoy life when you can and you'll be a happier person for it.
  10. bringo322 New Member

Test was up for a few minutes, but a few of my newer characters were straight up deleted from my accounts (not even level 1 paladin bug) so let's hope that gets fixed now that the server is down again
  11. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

It's odd that the Live servers weren't hit with all these issues after they got the same patch we did. I guess hardware failure caused the bugs or vice versa and then messed the server up but it seems odd that out of all the servers to get hit only Test has and that it's taking weeks to figure out what is wrong and fix it.

Maybe it's just harder to understand when we don't have all the info. I don't know obviously and am just grasping at straws.
  12. RangerXX New Member

This leaves me with a question or two or three.

First of all did this "major internal system" really Need to be changed ?

What will this major change actually do ?

Will it change the way that people play the game ?

In other words just what are we trying to accomplish here ?

Thank You ...
  13. mackal Augur

Test got some different changes as well.
    Sancus likes this.
  14. Rainbowdash Augur

I'm still fully open to (even hoping for) another transfer off option (sans plat/copied items) :p

Hell I'd pay. lol
  15. JChan Developer

This server is back up. Patch notes at: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...e-5-23-16-patch-notes-and-discussions.232877/

We understand the frustration with the server stability on the Test Server and we apologize for all of the issues. This is certainly not normal for our releases. Unfortunately, these issues that keep cropping up were not seen internally for the two months prior to running this on the Test Server. Due to the nature of these changes many of them simply weren't encountered until we started getting characters on the server that weren't exactly "clean".

The Test Server is currently running a significantly divergent code base than our current Live servers. Right now we're exercising all of the paths on the Test Server until we are confident with the stability (or in this case fixes to instability).

Does this need to be changed? Yes. This internal project is one of the first steps for a number of initiatives coming this year. Without these changes we simply can't do many of the future unannounced things coming this year. When all of these changes are pushed to Live AND we're absolutely confident that this project is stable, we'll start work on the next phase of this project.

The next immediate phase of this project when completed will bring us more server stability and the ability to reduce the time on the mini-rollbacks that occur when a world crashes.

Are we going to provide a way to transfer off of the Test Server to a Live server? Unfortunately, not at this time. The old technology that we used many years ago to allow characters to transfer off Test is no longer compatible with the current state of characters. (Re)Building this tech would take a significant chunk of the time that we're dedicating to fixing the stability problems with the Test Server.

Again we apologize for all of these issues and thank you for continuing to work with us through these issues and reporting them in /bug and on the forums.
  16. RangerXX New Member

Ok ...

I will most certainly take your word for it.

But I got to tell you, I would sure like to know what those "future unannounced things coming this year" are :)

Thanks ...

PS I for one am not looking to move off of test in fact I would love to see being on The Test Server made to be even better than it already is.
  17. Prathun Developer

We can take a look.

Doesn't look like the bindable status of a zone can be changed on the fly.
    Unsure if the bindable status can be different between datasets of a zone.
    Unsure if the bindable status of a zone can be hotfixed.
    Unsure if we should change it. We will discuss this.

You may want to cut down on the salt.
    Sancus and Jenarie like this.
  18. mackal Augur

At least that flag isn't hardcoded into the client anymore. (well, at least one of them ...)
  19. RangerXX New Member

Alright so far so good.

Any chance that we can get an extension of time for the Anniversary Events that end on May 25 ?
  20. Radien Elder

So there's a new bard instrument issue that is relevant, particularly now with the addition of Drums of the Beast (thank you!). In the beginning of EQ, instruments were not able to be equipped with weapons. Hence, they were tagged primary (rarely) or secondary (more commonly). Days/eras have passed and bards have learned the affinity to wield weapons alongside instruments, yet many of the remnants of the old system still remain.

If possible, can we get all Primary only bard instruments (only a few come immediately to mind) equippable in both Primary and Secondary slots?
    • Drums of the Beast
    • Ervaj's Flute of Flight
    • Denon's Horn of Disaster