Tower of Rot Group Mission

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Aghinem, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Aghinem Augur

Well...

Here we are in TBM, and I still can't beat this group mission. Did people seriously beat this in CoTF T2 group gear when it was current content? It just seems like it is a way way way over powered event for group geared people.

My team was in CoTF & TDS raid gear; 2 SK tanks, 2 player clerics, 2 DPS (rogue & wizzie)

On top of the beguilers doing an immediate mez upon spawning, the mana drain is relentless...

So my question, is it unreasonable to request this to be tuned
  2. Reval Augur

It probably isn't unreasonable to request it to be tuned. There are many different group combinations that could be suggested, but that does seem like it should be a pretty strong group. (maybe a shaman instead of one of the clerics, and a beastlord instead of the wizard? Bards are really great for that mission too though).

They probably won't nerf it though, so...

Your issues on the mezzes can be solved to some degree with dots, but also by positioning people intelligently. You can have people stand in areas where the sk's will be most likely to get agro first, as they can break the mez with self dots. It may be good to place the clerics a bit away from each other for this reason if you can't find a spot to put them wherein the sk's will always get agro first. The mezzes occur during the second miniboss out of the three, so that may be a good time to burn to some degree. There are items you can get that will dot you to break the mez as well for the non-sk's.

If you play intelligently, you can probably overcome this challenge, and it will become a good memory for you someday.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Infidel New Member

Simple answer is YES, it is an unreasonable request.

The beguilers are by far the worst mechanic in the event, however they are exclusive to 1 mini. Additionally the mezz is PBAE on its target, so don't cluster your healers together since it is curable it really isn't even worth bringing up.

2 clerics is a bit overkill, I would recommend you drop 1 cle and 1 sk for a paladin, since they can cure/heal/tank, and oh, it's 100% undead so they are "actual DPS". Winning events with what you want to bring isn't always going to happen, your group in theory sounds solid, but for the event and the mechanics it is far from ideal (not that you shouldn't be able to win though).

the 1st time i personally won it, we went in with complete overkill 1cle, 1pal, 1sk, 1shm, 1mag, 1brd. needless to say we had no curing issues, we had no healing issues, it took a while but since it was day 2 of launch a win > a loss.
    Sancus, Iila, Sindaiann and 1 other person like this.
  4. Tour Augur

Positioning is a big deal, as mentioned. As are cures. Being able to limit how many / how long mezs you have to deal with goes a long way.

You don't need an highly optimized cutting edge group - but you do need a strong group. It is not like most missions that can be done by pretty much any combination of classes you throw together. That's not a bad thing mind you, nor any indication that that it needs to be tuned. It just means put some extra thought into group makeup. No, that doesn't mean outright exclude certain classes, but it does mean give more thought to balance and making sure you have everything covered and aren't over stocking somewhere (2 tanks and 2 healers in this example would be a bit much as it leaves so much less room for DPS in what is a DPS check event where you don"t want to get overwhelmed).

Re: one of your cleric members; if they aren't already at least using their AA DPS, this is a great event for it. Smite the Wicked and Turn Undead both have generous recast timers and do substantial damage. That beguiler for example is a threat for a lot less time when you can take away more than half it's HP away instantly in one Smite.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Sancus and Iila like this.
  5. Blurred_Memories Augur

group members could also bring and use crimson potions ( sold in PoK ) to prevent themselves from staying mezd the full duration.
    Fanra likes this.
  6. Triconix Augur

Definitely not an ideal group set up. Drop a tank and healer for either two dps classes or a dps class + enc and just blow the thing up. The enchanter use negation and become a back up tank if need be using runes. Tank everything on the far wall where the chair is before the event is active. Have healers/range dps at the opposite side. It will allow you time to pick up the mobs before they get close enough to mezz anyone.

I was running this mission with some friends with me (war), druid, enc and 3 wizzies. The thing got absolutely obliterated. I think our fastest run was a smidge under 5 minutes to do the mission start to finish.

The first time I ran it when it was current I think it was me, 1 cleric, 1 druid, rogue, ranger, necro. I can't remember though.

I remember doing the add achievement with 2 rangers 2 healers rogue and myself.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Sancus and Iila like this.
  7. Arcainos Augur

I would echo Triconix, I think you could tweak your group setup for a better situation with crowd control and strong DPS.

At this point, I don't really think its reasonable to tune the mission to make it easier. Given that players have better gear and aa's etc. than they did at the time, the only direction I see it going is harder.

That said, it's still a very challenging mission, so I would suggest trying to get someone who has successfully run it to help, tweaking your group, and make sure no on is boxing or using mercs. You'll likely need 6 players with reasonable skill and gear.
  8. Gundolin Augur

We defeated the Fallof Lord Bayle with me (Cleric) in CoTF Raid gear and our main warrior wearing similar gear but we had a Pally who was mostly able to self heal and tank Lord Kyle Bayle while everyone else just focused on killing the adds. The Paly pulled Bayle into a corner so his . The Pally was better equipped, so there were a few direct heals on him, plus had the added HoT running but we burned through it fairly easy. I think the full group was War, Clr, Pal, Rngr, Rngr, Wizard. And I think the key was to maximize DPS on the Adds while keeping Bayle away from the group.

For the Mez issue the cleric hid out of the room and just down the stairs before just before the spawn of the mezzer. But even from the far back left corner the cleric should be ok to avoid mez.

For what its worth one of the Rangers in the group did do the mission when CoTF was current, and I know they had numerous wipes and restarts before he finally succeeded.
  9. Gundolin Augur

Also a bit off topic but more to the relative difficulty of certain content.

My wife and I just finished all of the Mercenary and Partisan quests in the Combine Dredge last night. For about a 1/3 of the missions we had a TBM raid geared tank and could pull the entire zone without issue. (;))

For the other two thirds of the missions we used a combo of pet and mercenary tanks and had multiple Wipes. We had several nights when we came close to rage quitting. We just lacked the dps to kill the tower mobs fast enough to avoid multiple adds, and somehow 2 almost always turned quickly into 4 and then 8 in those blasted towers.

My point in bringing it up is gear makes a huge difference. So all of the people like me who commented on how we easily did the Tower of Rot mission may not be realizing how well they are equipped.

Best of luck to you. :)
  10. Roxxanna Augur

It's hard even in raid gear. Repeating it with 1 cleric for the no-deaths ach was torture, but at least WE COULD BIND NEARBY............TBM BullSh*t at its finest.
  11. Iila Augur

Completing the mission was possible, but challenging at 100 in group gear. Getting Battle Royale in group gear at 100 is another story.

Getting Battle Royale with a raid geared group at 100 was still hard and took forever. It pretty much requires a clr/pal that can chain cure, and someone who can cure them. Wiping a bunch of times and having to dig into vet AAs wasn't uncommon while trying to get BR. But just beating it with a raid group shouldn't take more than one or two wipes to get the mechanics down.

You have 5 levels and two expansions worth of power over that, not being able to beat it is completely on your group. As long as your listed group is all real players, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to beat the mission. If you're going for BR, you really should have an enc or bard, though.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  12. Siddar Augur

There was this game called EQ Next that stole half the funding for CotF expansion. RoT final group mission was the result of trying to use difficulty as a way making up for less content. I finished that mission when it was current in near full T1 CotF raid gear in a group of the same. It was clearly completely over-tuned for group geared players.

The whole thing was just a big FU to groupers that has never been addressed.

And today we found out how that whole EQ Next thing worked out for them.
  13. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

You need to have enough dps that it doesn't take forever, too. 2 clerics and 2 tanks means you don't, unless you're rocking Paladins.

Wasn't there a group of players who beat it in group gear when it was current? I remember being impressed, though it involved pet tanking with pre nerf pet cheesing, iirc. Like Mage Mage enchanter necro wizard cleric or something along those lines.
  14. easyJet Apprentice

Its trivial now if you have a group of competent players. Bards can mez if you want the Battle Royale achievement. We did this relentlessly until I got the stupid aug with the help of several great friends and guildies. The core was always Wizard, Bard, Ranger. Added at least one good tank and cleric, a back up tank is great, but not always essential for us. A 105 bard is an amazing mana battery, and can cure mezzes. The ranger can back up heal of course (ours could also off tank). Too much dps can ruin it for you, there is no rush, at 105 we can always finish it within 15 mins, maybe 20 mins with the achievements.

Kill the beguilers immediately.

Read the strats, keep an eye on timers, and don't over dps. Real players will always trump mercs. Boxers, unless you're good, may struggle.

And yes, we did beat it (far from easily) when it was current too.
  15. sojero One hit wonder

You finally got the aug!
    Isssk likes this.
  16. easyJet Apprentice

You're way too fast on this forum!

And yes I did, a few weeks ago... you know I thought they'd taken it out of the game. Thanks for your help all those times buddy.
  17. Abazzagorath Augur

It should be adjusted down. It's difficulty is out of whack compared to the rest of the content and level 100 content specifically, and it blocks progression.

I'm all for hard content. Challenging content would be great if it existed more. Not on a progression event though and not something that requires the absolute perfect class mix.

Cooling Chamber was similarly difficult for groupers before it was nerfed. It should have been nerfed like it was and so should this mission.
  18. Sheaffer Augur

I think for an end of expansion mission it's pretty appropriately tuned. I could see the argument that it's too hard at level 100 in cotf t2 group gear but even then I think it was doable with a good mix of classes.

I don't think it requires specific classes as much as specific archetypes. You do need two tanks but only one of them has to be a player tank. I've done it with mage, necro and bst pets, granted this was before the Daegun pet nerf.

Two healers is best, but you can do it with one cleric if you have a paladin tank or a ranger willing to do some spot healing and I suspect you could do it with just a shaman healing if you had a paladin tank. I'm not sure about a druid. Paladins are king in this mission because they are tank, healer, and dps.

For OP, this mission does require some changes to your play style. The clerics might need to switch to more mana efficient heals instead of multibinding their five fastest heals. You might try them going remedy - remedy - light or maybe just remedy - light if mana is too low. They need to use their quiet miracle and venturika's as soon as possible and not try to save them.

When you said rogue and wizard, did you mean merc or player?

If player wizard, they need to not use their ethereal fusion spell as that uses way too much mana in this mission to be worth it. They should probably remove their instant cast nuke too and do something like claw - fire ethereal - nerendi's fire as that will be significantly more efficient. They need to be using harvest every time they can and especially when claw refreshes it. I also suggest having them save their improved twincast for the beguilers so you can drop them ASAP.

People always talk about how you need to sub in one class for another but if you have a dedicated group you can't do that. I think your group can do the mission just fine, especially in gear that's so much better than it's designed for. The thing with this mission is you might not be able to just burn it down, you may need to treat it as an endurance event.
  19. Iila Augur

It IS being adjusted down, by us leveling up and gaining new abilities. 5 levels and most classes almost doubling their DPS should make this mission much easier than it was on launch.
  20. Aghinem Augur

Hi everyone and thanks for all the responses.

As for the question of what type of group I am using; they are all players - no mercs. On last nights attempt, we got to the 3rd mini-boss but the healers were already nearly OOM and it became too much to handle. By what I have seen with the logic of most, by replacing one of the healers with a extra DPS would probably make all the difference. DPS faster makes the event faster = less adds and less mana ate up.