Character Reincarnation?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Blurred_Memories, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Blurred_Memories Augur

I'd like to propose a new game mechanic for eq similar to one I found in ddo.

I know a few people that like to switch classes from time to time, yet lament losing all the achievements they've accumulated.

So I'm suggesting allow character reincarnation, where the old toon can start over at level one or as a heroic character, retaining their name and achievements.

ddo's version was to give minimal bonus to stats.. and give the character an xp penalty so they leveled slower... but they only had like 18 levels.

Details of an eq implementation are kinda irrelevant to me, and I realize this would be somewhat of a niche thing, but I think it would be a nice addition to the game and an acceptable alternative to the oft suggested having achievements being account based instead of character based.

This would augment re-play-ability, and were it to require, or be a quest that required an in game or optional marketplace item, it would also generate additional revenue.

~blurred
  2. Cicelee Augur

3. Beimeith Lord of the Game

The problem is thus:

The benefit to doing it would either be too low as to not be worth doing, or good enough that it would effectively become required to do.

It's a lose-lose situation.
    Sancus, Drogba, Enkel and 1 other person like this.
  4. Blurred_Memories Augur

Eloquently put.

The only benefit I'm suggesting is not losing all your achievements, which understandably might be too low for you, but not for those that value them... maybe we could add keeping your learned skills like swimming and jewelcrafting as a benefit. You'd then be tempted wouldn't you? =)
  5. Dre. Altoholic

There might have been merit to making Achievements account-wide when the system was introduced, but too late to change it now.
  6. Blurred_Memories Augur

Yeah I was never a supporter of this idea. I'm too much a stickler for semi realism. Different toons are different entities and have not had the same experiences. That's why I suggested this alternative.
  7. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Achievements are designed on a per character basis as seen by the rewards. The person who is changing classes isn't losing any of their achievements unless they are deleting that character. What they are doing is starting a new character that doesn't have those achievements.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. Blurred_Memories Augur

Yep.

They are deleting.

Sounds like you understand the problem.

I'm asking for a Reincarnate option, which will preserve achievements, to be available for toons in addition to the current option which is delete. My apologies for taking so long to make this clear.

/boggle

~the blurry one
  9. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

There is no need for them to delete. All servers allow you to have more than one character now.

That's not a problem, it is intended. Completing all of the achievements on a mage (randomly chosen class) is not the same as completing all of the achievements on a monk or on a cleric or any other class.

Additionally, it will give other people a false perception of the player. For example, let's say that I have all the raid achievements on my monk and reincarnate to a cleric. Now as a cleric, with a different name, I can go and easily pass myself off as being a currently undergeared raid level cleric. When in fact I only know enough about clerics to keep myself alive when I occasionally boxed one a number of years back.

This isn't even getting into the likelihood of the game wanting to regrant all of the rewards again to the new character.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  10. Blurred_Memories Augur

revelations!

more revelations! unless of course yours is the toon that's just hanging out in the corner mooching xp and cheevs without participating much... then it's exactly the same.

their fault. assuming someone's skill not based on how they play but instead based on cheev points makes about as much sense as assuming their skill based on their gear.

right here i'm going to assume you were in a decent guild, not that you were necessarily a decent player of any class.

i did say the reincarnated toon would retain their name... twice technically since i quoted myself in my last post.

maybe, for a few seconds.... if you were saying hey.. i've got cheevs.. that means i know what i'm doing... AND the players you were saying that too were foolish enough to think that mattered.

this would be obvious very quickly if they'd ever played with a better cleric.

meh.. so what... that's what devs would figure out if they even wanted to do something like this.... betabuff lets you change classes and levels while keeping the same toon name.. sounds halfway there to me already!

ok... sarcasm aside for a minute... in case you respond again I want to save you the time of typing out the one delta ten tango responses.

myself.. and the people i'm talking about that would use this sort of feature are fully aware of how many freaking character slots are available, as well as what it means to start a new character. I'm surprised it never occurred to you that maybe they had actually filled all 8+ slots on a server and had to start deleting old toons to make new ones. and in some cases make new versions of classes they had already played and deleted.

and before you bring up other things I hoped were obvious like aa count cheevs and class skill proficiency cheevs... No. I'm not suggesting keeping things like those.

While i do agree playing one class is different than playing another. I feel that both the raid and group achievements is more a reflection on your team as a whole than on you as an individual. That being said, if you showed up as a level 1 cleric with 30 thousand achievement points... I would assume good things about you... that you might, just might, be able to learn, contribute, function, and play well in group settings. This would make me want to have you in my group, even as you were learning a new class. A fair perception or a false one? who knows.. maybe you were a one trick pony.

To me, the achievements are linked to the soul of the character, not what class that character would be if they were able to reincarnate.... just like in real life, when you move from one job to another, you don't lose credit for everything you achieved in the previous one.

elidroth is a test pilot now? be he still has his eq programming awards on his cv! ; )
  11. AlmarsGuides Augur

I actually like this idea and can't see any problems it could cause with players/guilds outside of, as blurred said, people who are dumb enough to merit achievements over the player.

This was discussed in WoW too, their solution (i think) was account wide achievements. I can't recall entirely as I quit that game before they started doing all the corny weird crap.

The biggest issue possible would be say a Warrior making himself into a Wizard with the achievements and being able to buy the Fine Silk Sash off the raid vendor (ofc it wont effect FV) and even if someone does this, - who cares anyway? I mean, if he got the achievements on one character, that's good enough if you ask me to warrant being able to purchase that belt on any friggen character he wants. To hell with doing those achievements on every single character you own (jeeze just thinking about that I don't know how people play the game not on FV. *shudder*)
  12. Warpeace Augur

Idea has possibilities.

Heck Zek got raids to be non PvP anything can happen.
  13. Knight-errant Journeyman

A better, and faster, solution design wise would be for them to add a bunch more character slots to everyone. Either for free, or in the market place. Then you wouldn't need to delete any developed characters to try new classes.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I don't get this concept. Why should a new level 1 character have the achievements of a previous 105 character? In my opinion a character should only have the achievements that the character achieved. Again, with that being my "opinion" it would be a waste of EQ dev time to do this

And to be honest I believe that Daybreak wants people to be doing achievements for each character its part of keeping players engaged so they keep playing. Leveling to 105 can be done super fast by those in the know. Getting all the achievements will take a bit of time even for the hard chargers.

All just my opinion not saying you are wrong or right just giving my view on it.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.