Experiencing older content? Another returning player

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Lysantt, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Lysantt New Member

Hey guys, another old-timer returning after a long hiatus, well, sort of. I log back in once every couple of years to see whats going on, but I have not REALLY played in nearly a decade. The last expansions that I really tried to experience the content was Gates of Discord/Omens of War. My question to you all is, is it worth it to attempt to level up and experience the old expansion content? Or is the best way to move forward just to go to the hot zones and try to hit the level cap and experience the newest content?
  2. reggatta New Member

It's really up to you and how you want to approach it. If you want to experience the latest content, then leveling up quickly would mean skipping much of the "in between" content that you have missed over the last 10 years.
    I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago, and chose to level up by running through each experience pack/series in the intended order. There is SO much content and I wanted to experience it in the order that it was released. With autogrant AA and better gear, it's easier to move through the older content, and I don't regret doing it. I'm on the Darkened Sea now, but want to finish it up before moving on to the BM.

Do whichever you think is best. Enjoy the game!
  3. Tweelis Augur

Everybody has different ideas about what's fun/enjoyable. Me personally....I like going to new places that I haven't experienced yet. Awhile back I left when Prophecy of Ro released then came back half way through Seeds of Destruction. Even today I still haven't visited all the zones from those days.

On the other hand if you think the game starts at max level/aa's then you'd be bored in say Underfoot. The gear isn't very good, spells and quests are meh from that expansion.
  4. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

There really is no wrong way to play EQ. I returned a couple of years ago, much like you. The first expansion that I did "for content" and at the intended level, was Seeds of Destruction. This is the first expansion with trackable achievements, which make it much more rewarding as you go and provide a nice roadmap for where to go next. I do not see myself going back and "finishing" the content of any of the expansions prior to SoD, specifically because of the lack of achievements and rewards.

After I finished that expansion, I decided to finish leveling up to max before doing any more content. I think it was close to a year after returning to the game (in mid 60s) before I got to max level (100). Now I go back and finish earlier expansions (after SoD) at my leisure.

My advice is to take advantage of changes to the game that specifically address quality of life for returning players: Defiant gear, Kronos, All Access, and maybe even Heroic toons. If you are under level 80, get a full set of the best Defiant gear for your level. If you don't have a friend to hook you up, buy a Krono and sell it for plat. The plat will go a long way towards improving your experience, especially at lower levels.

People come back to EQ because of nostalgia for 1999. But they usually only stick around if they take the time to see how the game is now. Oh yeah, and join a guild.