Soloing in the game...Can we PLEASE..

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Aikaminiaa, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Aikaminiaa New Member

I have a few lvl 80's but it is impossible to solo mobs my lvl and get decent experience. No one really plays these zones so can you please reduce the power of these mobs. No one wants to group anymore on the regular servers...even in a guild there is no grouping unless you are lvl 100 and above. The Grounds is one example of where the mobs are dark blue con to me but are very hard to solo...you get two mobs on you....you die...period.
    Cazmac likes this.
  2. Sarkaukar Augur

First, this subforum is more for technical game support. Your post needs to be made in the newbie forum, or even the vet zone. Two, the older the expansion generally easier the mobs. Post this in one of the other forums with stats, such as your classes, gearing, etc. And what mercs are you moloing with?
    Draego likes this.
  3. Aikaminiaa New Member

I want Daybreak to see this post...I don't consider this to be newbie at all...the lvl 80+ zones are NOT easy to solo...dark blue cons.
  4. Tweelis Augur

Fyi. The higher level you are the more difficult the game becomes. Also do the hotzone task for xp then head to a decent xp zone for a lesson burn.

You will probably get some advice if you give people more information regarding your class and tactics. Keep in mind that not all classes solo well and some require better gear.

Finally telling the developers to fix something that isn't broken will get ignored by said developers.
    Geri_Petrovna and Draego like this.
  5. Iila Augur

Devs don't read any posts anywhere. This forum is for support from other players.

Level 85 out of 105 is newbie levels now. Ask for some help and advice from other players, because 5+ year old content isn't going to adjusted for you.
    Draego and MrMajestykx like this.
  6. Aikaminiaa New Member

Yes yes players will try to give advice all day long but will NOT group with you...we should be able to solo...
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Get into a large casual guild. There is grouping in the 80+ game.
  8. Sinzz Augur

soloing is best on light blues you make more exp per hour then trying to take blues on or higher
    there really isn't a problem with soloing as I have seen rogues do it through sof expac all the way through to present content and historically they were hardest to solo period.
  9. Picaresque Augur

I have to disagree. The question is the ability to molo (with a merc), not solo with a single toon. In the low 80s, I was able to molo Hills of Shade (mostly Blackwaters) with most of my characters. Single pulling depended upon one's ability to pull and the use of root where lull line was not available. Except for the rotcaps, the Teek daily of Blackwaters and Kirathas worked nicely.

In the mid-80s, I hunted mostly in HoT courtyard, where people would group. Grounds was too tough, but there were quests to be done there and in Feerrott the Dream. The J5 merc goes a long way to making this possible. Moloing in grounds became possible at 87 or so with Rustic gear, which is not particularly expensive in bazaar. To avoid adds, hunt from the tunnel, both sides. The rotdogs are tough and aggro quickly, but overall, you should be able to single pull both sides even with a rogue.

I also noticed that advertising lfg dh ha at around level 85 in the general channel would often get a response from a heroic character who wanted the xp and marks of valor.This was especially true on the days when the guard in EWTK (Hamarn) would have a daily task that included one or more of the Gribble three for extra experience. The J5 tank handled the chore as MT at that level in DH HA.

Finally, I can say with certainty that on Rathe, I am part of a large casual, sometime raiding guild that has a number of 80s characters every night wanting to group (and generally finding either that or a higher character in Shard's Landing willing to let them join for the xp boost). That does not mean that every night they are successful, but generally speaking if someone that level wants to dh ha or just group in HoT, I'll find my 86 shaman or 85 cleric and go have some fun with them. Love the HoT expansion! Invis works and it's a fun place.
    Draego, Cazmac and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  10. Cazmac Augur

Thank you, Picaresque; that is a very helpful posting.
  11. Aikaminiaa New Member

I have been in a few guilds in the last year...no one groups but with lvl 100-105...it is rare to find groups below lvl 100.
  12. Draego Augur

First, pick a single topic to whine about here....

Is this really about not being able to solo?

Or because no one wants to group with you?

Or just gritching because the game isn't the way you want it to be for you?

As a returning player, with several characters that are 75 - 80, I can take just about any of them to the Grounds and solo (yes that's right, totally merc-less) DB, White and even the odd occasional Yellow con (depending on which class I take, and what I am fighting).
    - Just one example:
    A correctly geared paladin with Slay Undead can do very well against the Rotdogs and other Undead (so long as you keep your head about you) by managing your agro and minding your zone positioning.

Secondly, you have been given positive advice in regards towards how to approach this situation from Sarkaukar, Tweelis, and Sinzz. Trust what they have said and follow the advice. Giving a little bit of information nets help faster and better than whining. What server do you play on, what character class/level/gearing are you using, etc. these types of things really help others to help you. But hey if you really don't want any help, then welcome to my /ignore.
    Rhiyannon and Geri_Petrovna like this.
  13. Geri_Petrovna Augur

Go to west Freeport. There's skeletons, and Orcs there, that you can solo.
    Draego likes this.
  14. Draego Augur

I will Agree and Disagree to everything quoted above. Yes as with the majority of the harder portions of the game it does take more than just skill, gear definitely helps. However taking the time to go and fully understand the class you are playing, obtaining your own skill mastery over that character and building the character correctly (which now with Auto-Grant for AA's, you don't even have to worry about that until after 95) and obtaining the highest gear possible from a slightly weaker zone than your target zone; you can make a solid character able to solo in many zones, which can then progress forward to some degree.

Unfortunately the game was never meant to be Ever-Solo or Ever-Antisocial, so beyond some points you either need to accept a limit cap of your character, or you just have to go and make friends, join a guild and stick with it instead of hopping from guild to guild like Aikaminiaa has admitted to doing above.
  15. Onhanis Stonescale Elder

To the original post, what server do you play on? If you're on EMarr, I might be able to get you into a guild and bring some of your characters to HoT courtyard with me.
    Draego likes this.
  16. Picaresque Augur

I can only shake my head in disagreement. Sadly.

Join a casual guild. If there isn't one on your server, think about rolling on one where casual guilds are known entities. Xegony and Rathe come to mind, but there are others. Or, spend the coin and server transfer. Be willing to help anyone in the guild and see what "bread cast upon the waters" does for you.

Want to expedite matters? Master a really worthwhile tradeskill. People always need templates, ethernere weapons, cultural armor, yummy feasts, and an occasional potion if you are a Shaman and completely out of your mind to pursue 300.

Yes, HAs are "mind numbing" after time, especially if you do the same three. But, I made good friends outside the guild that way and when I needed help with some progression stuff, they were there to assist or even just to group in TDS/BI later.

EQ remains a social game, even for those who believe in boxing. A guildmate boxes three in the late 90s now and early 100s, but gets tired of it and prefers to find someone to do things. I'm always available, even if I give up my "Teek Daily" for much less experience. It's a game.

It's a game.

Right now I'm working on an 87 shaman and 86 cleric. I go to HoT courtyard and if someone is there, they will usually group. Drops are not an issue as most 85s would prefer to purchase the Argath wraps to make Rustic than the HoT armor, since VoA T1 is better than HoT Tier 4 (group).

The 20 levels from 85 to 105 can be mind numbing, or they can be fun and interesting (not every day). Depends upon play style and whether one intends to do any progressions.

It's a social game. Join a good, casual guild and try to be helpful. It will be worth it.
    Rhiyannon and Draego like this.
  17. Roxxanna Augur

Step 1: Ignore douchebags who talk out the side of their , the #1 reason no one wants to group anymore.
    Step 2: Since they won't reduce the difficulty (more likely they would increase it) your going to have to choose between dropping to an easier zone and destroying a sea of lt blues, or re-doubling your effort to find a guild/group that you can stick with.

As a cleric, I chose to go it alone and had to kill 1000's of lt blues to snag each level mostly in Loping and Direwind. 85-90 are hell levels for some classes. I wouldn't recommend this path unless, like me, people mostly piss you off with their stupidity/weiner pulling.

My advice: Transfer to Rathe, hit up Looting Please Wait. They also have a loose affiliation with several other guilds including mine.
  18. Draego Augur

It is not common that I will apologize for taking a stern stance. However, I do owe Aikaminiaa a bit of an apology as I took frustrations from another thread out on this one as well. For that I am sorry for the candor in which I replied, though not necessarily for the nature of my comments.

Thank you for bringing up some of those fine points Picaresque. Personally I have "True Box 2 Boxed" (and sometimes True 3 Box, both of which takes a ton of practice to accomplish) for a very long time, so yes I do always have a ready made group at hand between my 2 toons and when needed or when doing stuff for my wife, hers as well. I whole heartedly agree, and always have had this philosophy. If I have to drop one of my toons or especially a merc in order to have a real live player along, then that's what I do, no questions asked; my only expectation is that the person contribute and not just try to sit there and sponge exp.

Aikaminiaa, Picaresque gave some extremely sound advice, when I started as an Original EQ Beta tester, I didn't start with any friends coming into the game. Rather I basically used the same philosophy that Picaresque refers to by casting bread upon water. When the game went live I began with friends I had made during the Beta period on Brell, and before long we were in the top Raiding Guild on Brell. EQ takes time to be social - you will get from it what you put into it, but that takes effort. There are a couple of guilds on Cazic Thule (I can think of 2 right off the top of my head) where the guild leaders whole objective is to find those lost stray kittens (by that I mean players) and nurture them into solid well rounded players. As for me and MY guild - when I quit EQ I was a Guild Leader, and when I came back I was able to recover many of my old friends and guildies. Personally I do not hold a players hand like the 2 guilds I can think of, but I also won't turn a guildie away when they need help.

If you can afford it definitely follow up on Picaresque suggestions for VoA over HoT armor, if you can afford RoF or CotF armor instead and have access to the zones to get the gear do those. The massive boost that each next expac T1 armor grants generally outweighs the previous highest expac tier with exception to the raid gear.

@Aikaminiaa this is definitely very sound advice, and yes it may take some time to accomplish, and yes you most likely will have to start small (low level zones), but it will be worth it in the end. Personally I only have a few masters and not even all on the same toons, meh (my bad for not completely rounding them, especially now that I am going for the shawl 3.0)

@Picaresque, LOL ok I will admit I understand your comment about a Shammy in their insane attempts to hit 300. Skill doesn't build very well and definitely the most costly skill I have ever developed on any of my characters, but it paid off in the end, now I can make between 25 and 50k (depending upon what I am able to stock) just by putting my trade in the bazaar for a couple of hours each day/night.
  19. Nolrog Augur

Devs read a lot more posts than you think they do. They can't reply to everything but they do know what's going on in the forums.
    Picaresque and Draego like this.