Class choice for Kunark (ranger/war/SK/monk)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Saltyd0gg, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Saltyd0gg Journeyman

Im trying to decide between these classes for the kunark release. I just dont want to feel gimpy and unwanted... Can i get some advice on the performance of these classes in kunark??
  2. Ducreux Augur

SK>Monk>War>>>>>Ranger.
  3. Curate New Member

4. Dethecus Elder

I'm playing a SK and have a 50 monk alt. I love them both but SKs absolutely shine in any group play. Almost 0 wait time to find a group. Amazing solo ability which will only get stronger with Kunark. Monk is also great, a little less solo capability, and takes a little longer to find a group (Nothing terribly long though) If you're planning on playing solo I'd recommend a SK.

If you're planning on boxing, then either class and just play what you'd prefer, Tank or DPS/Puller.
  5. Vaclav Augur

Kunark and Velious are the worst eras as a ranger, they shine after that though - but if you're talking for Kunark, they're an immediate rule out worst eras for the class.

SK will be riding high until PoP, dip for a little bit, then take off again after OoW and never come back down.

MNK will be on a slow inexorable decline - but they will be great in Kunark.

WAR is great if you're one of the guild's few main tanks, but the further down the tank line you go your purpose fades more and more. Coming to the server late, you're likely not going to find a good spot - I'd rule it out as well - anything non-raid wise SK would be better for and raid-wise it's unlikely to find a guild with a spot to make it valued highly.
  6. GrugSA Augur

Class roles in Kunark

Warriors are the best tanks for most raid bosses and best group tanks
    Monks are Pullers and Burst dmg
    SK are Burst dmg and adequate group tanks
    Rangers cry in the corner wishing Luclin was out already.
  7. Finley Augur

Even though 3 months feels like a lifetime sometimes, you don't want to be rerolling every expansion. I wouldn't play for just Kunark, I'd pick the class you want to settle with. All of those classes will be able to easily find a home in a raid guild, and all but ranger easily find groups; but if you're fun to be around and capable of making friends any class can find groups consistently.
  8. Ultrazen Augur

Monk or SK. Lizard monks are awesome, still my favorite MMO character of all time. Can solo if need be, don't need gear, quick refreshing feign death. Awesome class.

If you're starting with no resources i.e. you can't twink that character, monk is the best choice. The lack of needing any gear to do well is a huge plus, especially if you're new. Monks will be awesome until the server is a ghost town.
  9. BigDog Elder

If you wanna be a Big Dog on the parses, go SK......

[IMG]
  10. Friday Augur

I enjoy being a Ranger. We can pull, we can tank, we can dps, but we just aren't the best at anything (except tracking). Its a fun and well-conceived class that does get much more powerful once luclin drops. You want to be the most OP/useful/desired class NOW? Its not Ranger.

You CAN however tank most any group content in classic, and with raid gear, I don't see this changing much come Kunark. Its also a great farming class, and the only one you mention with tracking.

Otherwise, Id say SK who can also pull, tank, and dps. I almost went for it myself. They are a great class and you won't regret it if you stick it out through some tough levels. Monk and warrior are really MUCH more focused/dedicated to their specific functions. Personally, I would never go monk as I literally get seasick after hours of pulling, nor tank because you are so far behind the curve and raiders are mostly already set with main tanks. Main thing is to make your choice and stick with it! Phinni xp is brutally fatal for those with eq identity crises. Good luck!
  11. SebastianTheIbis Lorekeeper

Ranger is excellent if you don't mind sucking at everything except tracking, taunting, and snaring.

Monks can drop aggro which is nice in a place like Sky.
  12. yerm Augur

The problem with ranger is that they're going to fall behind SK in every category. Clearly worse tanks, worse raid dps, worse pulling... what can a ranger do in kunark/velious that a SK can't do just as well or better? Track and SoW? Long term they will make a comeback, sure, but for at least a half year you'll be a very weak pick.

My answer to this question is usually always the same - make a necro or cleric and never worry about sucking.