Wizard ManaBurn AA

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Wizdons, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Badaboom New Member

Supposed added damage? LOL...

So we cant 1 hit mobs to death. So what. The effects are still on and kick .. Just smoked Terrance in the 5 mins that the servers were up.

No need to worry.
  2. Beimeith Lord of the Game

MB will hit for full damage on any mob that has 9,600,000 HP or more. Most nameds have around that these days so you shouldn't see much, if any, change. You won't be able to 1-shot HoT and earlier expansion nameds...but then if you were using manaburn to kill those you need to hand in your Wizard card.

There really isn't much reason to use it on current group named anyway, but I guess that's what people do. The only group content I could see it being really useful for is PoWar, but then I'd also expect Dzarn to have scripted it not to land there just for the lulz.
  3. shadowgod Augur

Plane of war was created before the new mana burn :) But I could see him going back and doing it to laugh.
  4. Sancus Augur

Lawl, someone needs to re-do their math (hint: that added damage for others is a pretty huge deal...).
  5. SnowballsT Journeyman

Have noticed that when I cast MB on a mob that already has MB on it you still loose 60% mana even though it doesnt land and the hotkey is not grey out so you could recast it (if you had mana left ) anyone else notice this ?
  6. Sheaffer Augur

Who is the "we" in this post?
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Dzarn and I.

He asked for my opinion when he was working on revamping it. I said I didn't really like that it was more of an 'adps' ability the way he described his idea, but there wasn't really any good way to make it work like it used to without it being overpowering.

Our damage to mana ratio on a burn at the time was in excess of 1-to-500, so an 'oldstyle' manaburn that used 120k mana (what I had at the time of the conversation) would do 60 million damage if it were to use our burn damage ratio.

That is approximately the amount of damage that could be done with a full bar of mana, but the problem is that you could do that, then harvest, then hit your burns and do even more damage. The manaburn wouldn't have -replaced- the burn, it would have added to it. The only way to prevent that would be to lock out the burn AAs, or cap your mana at 0 for a few minutes, neither of which are very good options. (The first would require scripting which is bad, and the second is easily mitigated by replacing the player with someone else).

The other issue that would arise is that it would allow for instant killing of all named mobs / older raid mobs. That could be mitigated to some degree by utilizing the raid flag so that it would -only- work on raid mobs and not lesser mobs, or at a reduced capacity on lesser mobs, but that isn't a great solution either.

In short: We had a long conversation about it and it ended up we couldn't come up with anything better than his original idea which was to make it a split ability with quarter damage up front and the rest adps on incoming damage.
  8. Shallizar Lorekeeper

This is working as intended. If a person cast Mana burn on a mob it adds an effect to the mob that prevents anyone else from casting Mana burn on the mob for 2 minutes. You need to coordinate with the other wizards so that you don't overlap.
    SnowballsT likes this.
  9. Sancus Augur

Are you sure? Pretty certain that you just have to wait for the current mana burn to wear off, which takes a lot less than 2 minutes.
    Naugrin and Reht like this.
  10. Naugrin Augur

Sancus is correct. It can wear off from time or counters but once it's off, another wiz can land it.
  11. Naugrin Augur

However it WOULD be nice if they could stop it from taking the mana if it is blocked still. Audio triggers are key. Only the caster gets a message that mb has worn off.
  12. Shallizar Lorekeeper

In my guild on raids wizards have a message that goes to raid say that trips GINA triggers on all of the wizard's computers with timers and such. Then we just use Vent to coordinate when/who is going next.
  13. Shallizar Lorekeeper

Going to figure out a good raid where we could actually tell if the bonus damage is still running and try this with the guild wizards on an upcoming raid.
  14. Naugrin Augur

We all have an audio trigger set for our own mb wearing off n hit a key saying it's off, next wiz go in our super secret wiz chat lol.
    Yinla likes this.
  15. Naugrin Augur

It works. You will help your guild's burn damage for sure.
  16. Daktarr Lorekeeper

After they nerfed manaburn the first time, you would get a message if you tried to cast it before the timer was up and you couldn't do it. This is typical if you try to buff a player who is too low, or cast on some mobs when they are immune to spells. Seems like restoring that feature would not be that big of a deal.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Daktarr Lorekeeper

It may help the parse, but in reality, it only cuts a few seconds off the raid.
  18. Naugrin Augur

Which can make all the difference. Hi Damsel of Decay.
    Igniz and Sancus like this.
  19. RPoo Augur

Old school
    [IMG]
    Igniz, Sancus and Sirene_Fippy like this.