Extra mitigation for knights in the next patch

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Time Burner 2, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Makavien Augur

My name has no meaning its a gm made name ?
  2. Zarzac Augur

3. Makavien Augur

It was malkavien I had the gm remove the L 15 years ago in Gfay.

But , I am done with these forums the developers don't even listen anymore and just make blind changes without proper testing .

You guys keep on keeping on while downplaying your abilities.

And if your not L2P.
  4. Viltaire Augur

So an insane vampire who doesn't have a grip on reality? As a side note White wolf should have never sold to WOTC :(
  5. Warpeace Augur

SO the context you posted....

Was just as out of context and non valid? Looked more like a vailed threat to walk out. But its not like what I posted were not valid if Warriors did choose to stage a sit out.

#2 was being sarcastic but still.
  6. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

The fact that you think these forums play any kind of major role in EQ's design is cute.
  7. Time Burner 2 Augur

As the original poster, I'm not hung up on warriors. I simply like to raid tank, and if it turns out that after the patch that knights can raid tank as well as warriors (and they are really close now), I will swap to a knight for the added utility. I'm asking if anyone has numbers, or opinions as to whether this will be the case or not. Does this make sense?
  8. Time Burner 2 Augur

Yes, warriors may have a lot of hotkeys, but knights have far better utility (and, normally MORE hotkeys). I don't even think they are in the same league.
  9. sojero One hit wonder

No one will have #'s until a couple weeks after it goes live. cant really do raid MT parsing without a raid force to test. Then you have to do a good amount under as controlled as you can to get realistic parsing, which is extremely difficult to do in a raid setting when most things are on the fly and hectic. All your going to get here is paper tanking math, which in reality doesn't translate well to in game.

So do you want to do the same thing with less or more? do you want to have 1 job or 2? that really is the question you need to answer for yourself. Utility comes at a cost, takes longer to build up and maintain, and then you may not get to be the MT you may need to be the rezzer or kiter or whatever.
  10. Time Burner 2 Augur

Hey Zarac, thanks for the attentive reply. I'm not trying to get at what's fair or not - I don't care because it's out of my control. What I'm wanting is opinions on: since knights can tank raid bosses without a problem today, after the patch - will they tank a raid boss as well as a warrior? Because if this is the case, I will swap to a knight for the super utilities they get (and as a side bonus, the dps boost).
  11. sojero One hit wonder

I dont think anything will really change. For breaking into new content warriors will still be the premier tank, the knights will be able to after getting geared up. When its on farm mode both will be able to tank. The change just means that the break in period is now less. The ac/hp and mitigation of wars will still make them the best, just by not as far of a margin now.
    Rakharth likes this.
  12. Time Burner 2 Augur

Well, the reason I mention sustainable tankage is because the little 3 minute raid role warriors used to play is all but gone, from what I've seen. Most raid bosses are tanked by a tank until the tank drops, or until the event is won, or some odd mechanic calls for a swap. So...

If knights can now, or will be able to post patch be able to sustain-ably tank a raid boss as well as a warrior, then I am 100% switching classes for the great utlilty and dps knights offer relative to warriors. The previous sentence is what I'm seeking opinions about.
  13. Time Burner 2 Augur

Well again, thanks for the thoughtful reply. I guess I'll have to watch and see since no one seems to even have any anecdotal info from the test server or anything.

Since knights are already tanking raid bosses on cutting edge content, I am guessing that the war's slight raid boss tanking edge will fade to the point of meh, lets just get knights in the raid because they offer other things too. I guess I'll simply have to wait and see. Leveling a knight would be a pain since my main has 15 years of goodies under his belt, but also fun!
  14. Time Burner 2 Augur

No need to reply with the same thought twice, post removed.
  15. Zarzac Augur

The difference now is how much would knight utility be worth to you.

Warriors will still be the first choice for MTing raid mobs.

If your guild doesn't have a full warrior team, knights are now going to be able to step in and if played well not die.

So the question becomes is being a <insert number someone makes up .01% 1% 3% 5% 10% 20%> better tank than a knight worth it to not have knight other stuff. Granted Knights unquestionably have more stuff, but is giving that up worth it to you to be "the raid tank" and tank the big bad bosses while knights wait to pick up adds.
  16. Minato Augur

tell us everything else you "had" gm's devs do for eq ^_^
  17. Warpeace Augur

FV thanks you for your leadership and guidance as the leader of FnF.

PS, your personal PM was entertaining, please don't ever feel the need to converse with me again...E-V-E-R. However feel free to leave you opinions on these forums.
    Minato likes this.
  18. Nightops Augur

My guess is your not familiar with current raid tanking... or at least not familiar with all of things going on behind the scenes of raids. The ability for any tank to raid tank is not based on the ability of the tank or class, but on the healing and support teams around him. Sure, a paladin can raid tank a boss, but only if the support & healing teams around him are all top notch and the dps is high enough to get the target dead fast. Unfortunately, you don't see this in the game unless you're a member of the very top of the elite guilds in this game.

I would advise anyone with the same thoughts about this being an 'over-powering' patch for knights to calm down. It isn't and won't be a game changer which some are making it out to be.

I play a paladin in a raid force which is breaking into T1 TBM. I have very respectable gear for our progression lvl & good clickies along with max AA and a 15 year history of playing a paladin on my side. I can step in and tank stuff like Fright (?charm golem) in Fear and likely could do alright on the Maestro. However, on Vim and Vigor, I'm lucky if I survive the fight as the DA ramp tank. I have only done this once out of 4 or 5 wins. In no way do I think I could; pre- or post- patch; step in and be a reliable tank in a rotation for this opening raid event for TBM progression. Maybe I will be able to once I have a full suit of TBM raid gear, however, the game doesn't work this way. The raid has to earn the wins, and I can pick up gear upgrades over time before I can try to tank bosses. Adding a % of mitigation to a paladin via innate, stance, or AA/disc improvement is not going to get me over the threshold and won't take away even our worse warrior's job in the MT rotations.

My guess is this new change will allow Daybreak to put in more raids in the future which require tank swaps or multiple tanking jobs while not creating a roadblock in progression for guilds who do not have 4-6 raiding warriors every night. This may also allow for harder group content which would then allow all tanks to replace those using monks or rangers as stand-in-tanks.
    Rakharth likes this.
  19. Sphynx_CT_SR Elder

My guild is like this already and the knights we have can tank just fine. I have seen them stay alive on raid bosses just as well as warriors.

Currently, this is my feeling of the "best" tank options for raid bosses.
    Warrior with disc running
    Knight with disc running
    Warrior without disc running
    Knight without disc running

After these changes, from what I have seen so far
    Knight with disc running (2minutes)
    Warrior with disc running (3minutes)
    Knights without disc running
    Warrior without disc running

How is this "good for the game" to take a class that has only 1 real place they can excel and take that away from them?
    Knights are superior to warriors in the solo/molo game.
    Knights are superior to warriors in the group game.
    Knights are superior to warriors on raid trash/minis.
    Warriors are superior to knights on the biggest, hardest raid bosses and THIS is being changed with this patch.
    Time Burner 2 likes this.
  20. Gnomeland Augur

They do have an ability that reduces 3x the % of damage in the group game than in the raid game.

It's called Pain Doesn't Hurt.

It's a Warrior ability.

How does 4,000 damage off of every 10,000 hit in the group game sound? I think that's, what, a 40% reduction?

Sounds pretty decent to me.