XP Updates Coming to Phinigel, Ragefire & Lockjaw

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Roshen, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Lee81 Augur

You required a hand-out to reach level 50. And I'm considering the long-term implications of a slow xp rate. Grinding AAs can be very tedious. Also, most MMO players are casual players. I don't think that you could easily grind up several alts to play with either. If this is the more accessible server, then it shouldn't take too long to grind up several level 50 alts. Can you do it? And no, you can't use double-exp weekends. That's cheating.
  2. Venthos Augur

You'll shift as many goal posts as needed to fit your narrative, eh Lee81? In short, if you personally can't level to 50 at the speed you personally feel is acceptable for your personal desired content progression rate, then the majority/average gamer can't either? If they somehow did do so, they cheated or have unfair advantages. Got it. We can safely shelf your opinions and move on.
  3. Shodai New Member

Hahahah
    Silv likes this.
  4. packmule New Member

Mmm Mmm yes the irony. Im sure if you spent all your forum time in game you could have another 5 alts in their 30s!

ITT: Exp is bad, exp is being adjusted at a rate we do not know. "SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING because my jimmies are rustled beyond comprehension knowing more people will be able to participate in INSTANCED RAIDING"

something something krono farming something banthebotsinpaineel
  5. Lee81 Augur

Last time I checked, there aren't millions or even hundreds of thousands of players. I'm just merely pointing out that this game expects far too much.
  6. Venthos Augur

...of *you*. Just drop the whole "I'm the ambassador of the average gamer" shtick and admit you're just upset and wish it required less time, as an individual. That's a valid opinion to have.
  7. Vexatious New Member

How about some exp boosting in the weekends for us players who aren't able to log in on weekends. I hate missing those but it's nice going home to visit the family
  8. Jeffy New Member

How about nerf the quest exp, leave the rest as it is. I can't understand why you would make this server easier than it already is? It was much harder when it was released 17yrs ago, quit bending to the cry baby . /the end
    Venthos likes this.
  9. Meregil New Member

Having played from 1999-2002 I was there for the slow xp, the corpse runs and all the other we put up with. I didn't love the game for those features and games have moved on since 1999. Maybe I have been spoiled by more modern games but an xp increase on Phinigel will make me want to play there. I don't have any wish to as things stand.

I have no idea why they couldn't make a true box server with the same xp rate as the 2 existing TLP servers. Slower xp made no sense at all at launch and I'm glad to see they're realising they made a mistake.
    Lee81 likes this.
  10. Lee81 Augur

I'm not an ambassador of the average gamer. I am an average gamer though. The average gamer is casual. Again, I'm just pointing out that this game demands a little too much. It could be a whole lot of fun, but it's not casual enough. Then again, it isn't modeled to be. It would be neat to have a more casual and instanced server though.
  11. Venthos Augur

Just one page ago in this thread:
    Your goal post moving game is on point, sir. I'm convinced you're just trolling me now.
    Your_Ad_Here likes this.
  12. Lee81 Augur

Fine, I'll admit that I said this. However, it still stands true. A lot of former EQ players don't play anymore. They've moved onto more casual games or have other responsibilities. It doesn't matter though. If this server is supposed to be slow, then it's the way it is. I was just saying that it would be nice to have an instanced server with faster xp. It's not like you spend an inordinate amount of time in one spot through the low or mid-level zones.
  13. Vaclav Augur

When it comes to XP rates and what people want, if you actually speak to a variety of people is there isn't a huge concensus. Some people don't care at all, they're here for the secondary benefits. Some prefer faster, some slower - some like it right now. All average in many different ways.

I'll agree with you that there's no harm in a substantial increase, I think more people are turned off by stunted XP than are turned off by XP being too quick (especially in light of the "competition protections" the tweaks have created making it not too stressful - while still retaining some competition) - and personally - for my alting I'd rather have faster XP - but let's not pretend we're speaking for anything other that a preference of a subsection here.

Trying to represent those that aren't speaking by claiming yourself as "average" is disingenuous on this topic - since there's never been a great concensus. If you want to label it appropriately - call it what it is you want to try to speak for those who are "quitters" - because realistically that's the proper label for the group. [And for the friends that I have that would be most impacted - it would be those that were quitters, largely over the XP rate - that I'd hope get lured back by it]

Signed - someone who someone folks wouldn't laugh about using the "ambassador of the average" label if he cared to use it.
  14. Mr Dali New Member

This is so stupid
    Why not just fix those few quests that people can exploit at all lvl's. It was done with Tumpy tonics all the way back in 2000. It takes what ? 5 minutes to lower exp. modifiers on those 5 quests we are talking about so they get in line with other newbie quests that usually stop giving noticeable exp. at lvl 7-8.

The kill exp. is actually ok on Phinny compared to what it was in 99.
    And EQ was never about farming quests for exp. It was all about killing zillions of mobs to lvl.
    Most classic quests give only a fraction of a notch in your exp. bar. It was allways about playing with your friends for hours and you used to feel really good each time you actually gained a lvl.

Isn't it Carebear enough that people today can buy their way to good gear and exp. potions with RL money and Krono's ?
    If you want to fix anything about Phinny server, disable Krono's here. It's the only really unballancing thing if you want to have a server that is somewhat slow in progress, as people playing EQ today know every trick in the book to get max exp. from mobs that only a few knew back in 99

I know people are going to trash this idea, but that is just my 2 coins on the matter ...

Please leave general mob exp. and quest exp. as is, and fix the few quests that is unballlancing!!
    Venthos likes this.
  15. Varisath Elder

PA and Ebay existed long before Krono's were a twinkle in Sony/DBG's eyes. People just bought the items or platinum directly. The only thing Krono did was allow the Company to get a piece of the pie instead of letting 3rd parties take all the glory.

Out of all the moo points people try to make, I really wish everyone would stop trying to make this one.
  16. Numiko Augur

I play EQ pretty casual and I cant say the exp has been all that bad, though i do not think i would have made 50 by Kunark if it had not been for the double exp weekends.

I mostly play on weekends and not very much during the week, some days not logging in at all! and I have my two main toons at level 48.

and that is without ever buying a Krono or a exp pot or handing in piles of Quest items...all done with pure grinding for exp.
  17. Lee81 Augur

Okay, I'm referring to a casual subset of the gamer population. I'm not referencing EQ players. I'm referencing MMO players. The vast majority are casual. They wouldn't like anything close to classic EQ standards.
  18. Vaclav Augur

Luring random MMOers that were never into EQ would largely require turning EQ into something that would destroy it for many of us that love EQ. EQ is really its own animal, the minute you start trying make it too "mainstream" you get EQ2, which while an OK game, isn't EQ1.
  19. Lee81 Augur

Phinny is already pretty darn close to a mainstream version set within the EQ universe. There are load balanced instancing and instance lock-outs. The game is much more feature-rich than it used to be as well. The only thing that makes it less of a mainstream game is the slower xp rate.
  20. EQvet Elder

To much nonsense to quote so I'll just say it must suck to not be able to have a family and a hobby, I feel sorry for you boys. I say boys cause men don't blame their short comings on a video game. EQvet: level 50 family man, signing off.
    Venthos likes this.