playing on a mobile hotspot data plan

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by seydriana, Jan 28, 2016.

1. seydriana New Member

I am currently on the road with my husband in a semi.. Trying to look at getting a hotspot option in here or if its even worth it.. How much data would it take to play an average of eight hours a day?
  2. seydriana New Member

Data plans are high so trying to get an answer that will help please
  3. Soju Elder

EQ uses very little data to play, I use a mobile data connection to log in / play EQ very often and I would say EQ, for me, uses less than 200MB a week (probably less but not positive, as it just shows tethering data used, which also includes any web browsing / email etc... that I have done from the same laptop) for 2-3 accounts running. The only exception to that is patch days. A large patch can consume alot of data so make sure you are all patched up over a wifi connection if possible first.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. lovealaska New Member

i play on a data cell plan. in playing about 16hours one long weekend day on 2 laptops I had 27MB Downloaded and 12MB uploaded on each laptop that was playing 1 account each. if data was almost identical on each being they both where logged in the same time. this was normal ROF zones self grouped with mercs, raid content with guild would be more data.

hope this helps
    cheers,
  5. Thunderkiks Augur

I drive a semi and play on the road. The data usage is minimal at best because most of the information is stored on your computer.
  6. Xintril New Member

Do you get much lag or low FPS when using a mobile hotspot?
  7. Fluid Augur

I've done it before and while it does mean slow down things like login and zoning, actual game play isn't that bad. Thing is, all cheap plans have ~1 gig/month high speed which would be enough if there was only EQ running through the connection. It isn't uncommon for apk updates and using a browser to blow through that in less then a week. After you reach your ceiling, the carriers continue to let you access the net but at a reduced data rate: For me it slowed down from ~1 meg connection speed to a .1 meg or ~1/10th the speed. That is still fine for running EQ and is still a solid double what the old dial up system was.
  8. Thunderkiks Augur

No issues at all. I raid and everything just fine on the road.
    Reaper1939 likes this.
  9. Urdead7th New Member

So I'm wanting to start up mischief. Use Hotspot otr. Due to phone connection will it distinguish I'm actually using 2 different laptops to play?
  10. Thunderkiks Augur

Yes
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

It must be really great to be able to play while on the road. Let's you take some of your social life with you.
    Thunderkiks likes this.