EQ really forever?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by tkdgmr, Jan 1, 2016.

1. tkdgmr New Member

I'm really enjoying playing EQ again on phin.really content with the game and plan to play it for a long while.

Really just getting back into mmorpgs and before phin came out I was on WoW.I'm just curious if there are any other mmorpgs out there like everquest.what I mean by that is things like non instanced dungeons.camping named mobs things like that.seems almost every mmorpgs trys to copy WoW with slight differences that still don't aim towards things that make EQ amazing.if nothing is out there like EQ is there anything out there that is original and good.here's a list of mmorpgs I've played and what I think of them.

World of Warcraft, amazing game best pvp in any mmorpgs but too easy so gets dry.

Guild wars 2, no real role playing too much dodging and reviving.great graphics

Starwars the old republic, really liked this game but too much like WoW with the heavy questing and dungeon grinding.less popular so I just went back to WoW.

Darkage of Camelot, dead game but was fun.crap engine and graphics.forced myself to play this one and enjoyed it in the end

Wildstar,great game lil hard but ati graphics issue made me quit.

Eh list goes on like Rift..wow clone with crap pvp.

Basically looking for something new to really help me figure out if I'm gonna play EQ for a few years which seems strange cause the game is so old.only game catching my eye is tree of savior and the new lineage game.but I'm so amazed that EQ has not been cloned with up to date engine/graphics.anything at all out there worth checking out?
  2. Klak Augur

You thought wildstar was hard? Thought it had the best pvp. The difference in skill level was obvious. It was fun destroying people in pvp but it died. Swtor was fun but died too. Every mmo is going to be like WoW or close to it. Ffxiv has strong pve storyline I guess if hard for pve. EQ next was canceled I think. Overal EQ is a pretty easy game. They don't make hard mmos anymore just have to find the one you like best and stick to it.
  3. tkdgmr New Member

Yeah ffxiv I beat and played up to heavens ward on ps3.I hate the main story line grind.I'm not big on questing or story.one thing I like about EQ is its just log in and start killing stuff.I don't like the feeling of being directed in mmorpgs anymore.WoW did it well and I'm done with it.I feel more like I'm actually doing something sitting in 1spot with 5 other people for a few hours killing the same stuff over and over than trying to run all the quest in a zone.has a feel of being somewhere instead of the feeling of beating a lvl.I'm just scared of EQ turning into something else as the last expan I played was Planes of power and if that's the case I wanna find a new game asap instead of enjoying EQ for a while just to hit a dead end and lots of disapointment
  4. Klak Augur

For me the game is a joke and boring but for some they think it's hard so who knows.
  5. Rhodz Augur

If you like a sandbox over a theme park then try Project Gorgon.
    It is absolutely different and gaining a LOT of interest. Small team making a labor of love and it shows.
    Otherwise nothing is very different from anything else. Theme park is a good way to describe them they all look about the same. Give it try though, I haven't logged into EQ since I started it.
    Your_Ad_Here likes this.
  6. Myrnyyk Journeyman

You could try Shroud of the Avatar. It's still early access on steam, but it's pretty similar to EQ (and you can actually play it, unlike Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, which is supposed to be EXACTLY like early EQ but might just be vaporware). If you want sandbox, you could try Black Desert (is that out of Korea yet?), or DarkFall. Or you could try any of the survival games out there for sandbox experiences (Ark, Rust, etc) -- they aren't MMO's, but they are skill-tree based and have a pretty large multiplayer aspect.
  7. DuchessElindra Elder

GW2 is probably the exact anti-EQ possible. And also the greatest product on the market at the moment for various reasons (you may want to look into the raids the introduced, its not the old dodge and rez you had before).

Anyways I dont play GW2 and I play EQ, I would play P99 if I was more hardcore.
    As for other games you may want to look at TERA if you are not allergic to anime style. Pop is very healthy, graphics are rather appealing, gameplay is fast and active, raids and dungeons are very good. And you get that kind of feeling like on EQ that each class has a very specific purpose and its not a general smooth jelly of a gameplay like WoW and others became.
  8. tkdgmr New Member

Thanks for all the info.Project Gorgon is really nice think i might try it once it comes out on steam.Stumbled upon Pathfinder online aswell,thanks again guys.
  9. Rhodz Augur

Project Gorgon can be played now for free until the steam launch which may be Feb.
    No wipes have been planned so good time to check it out without investing.
  10. Risiko Augur

The closest thing we had to an EQ clone was Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. Unfortunately, it failed due to poor management by the company that was developing it (Sigel). SoE bought the game and ended up publishing it, but it ended up shutting down a few years later. It was a great game that sadly was rushed out the door before it was ready, and it never recovered.

The same designer that originally Co-created Everquest and then Vanguard (Brad Mcquaids) is designing a new old-school MMORPG now called Pantheon. It's a very small development team with a small budget, so no idea if it will ever make it to production. I hope it does because there is a severe lack of EQ clones available.

Of coarse as people have already mentioned, Project Gorgon is out there and looks promising.

Shroud of the Avatar is being created by the God father of fantasy RPGS, Richard Harriet. He created the Ultima series and Ultima Online. Well worth a look.

You mentioned Dark Age of Camelot above, so I thought I would point out that lead designer, Marc Jacobs, is working on his own follow up to DAoC called Camelot Unchained. It's a realm-based pvp game with three Realms. It's crowd sourced, and looks to be coming along nicely.
  11. Risiko Augur

Stupid auto correct. That was Richard Garriott.
  12. Tyraxor Augur

Pantheon is doing better now (start was really crappy). I think Brad is not holding the money this time (one can only hope...).
    It's the only interesting pve mmo i can see on the horizon, so i hope it will get an okay release.

Latest interview for those interested http://massivelyop.com/2015/11/24/interview-pantheon-devs-on-funding-unity-and-the-launch-window/

@Risiko, Vanguard was still a good game yep.
    Ultima kinda slipped, part 7 was the last thing i really enjoyed. I'm not sure about SotA...so far it does look pretty crappy tbh.
  13. bobjones1208 Augur

I know most people are very skeptical about Pantheon but I cautiously optimistic. I've been following it's progress for almost 2 years and they really seem to be picking up steam in the past 6 months or so.
  14. jordune Augur

Personaly I would like to see Everquest redo on the unreal engine.
    New toons, new updated graphics
    Same content, same game play
    Release it as classic then 6 months later kunark, etc
  15. -wycca Augur

You want the engine used in Unreal?

[IMG]

Hrm, looks like classic with slightly better textures. You know they have a texture upgrade you can enable in graphics settings!

:p
  16. Batbener Augur

VG was a great game. Right up until they changed everything over night 3 or 4 different times. I remember spamming the log in so I could have the best housing plot in game, then they changed travel to make it the worst spot to have a house about a month later. The final straw for me was the way they completely changed how disciples were played. TBH, I would play on a vanguard progression server hehe.
  17. Reht The Dude abides...

Wouldn't touch Pathfinder Online right now, the studio basically ran out of money, shut down and laid off almost all of its employees; it's down to a few people - subscriptions are keeping the servers up, that's about it. http://mmos.com/news/pathfinder-online-runs-into-financial-troubles Supposedly there is an investor interested in completing the game, a letter of intent has been signed contingent upon securing the rest of the funding to complete the game, but that's probably still a long shot.
  18. jeskola pheerie

If Brad stays off the oxy it has a chance
  19. Reht The Dude abides...

Really? I have been actively following it since the kickstarter too and have yet to see anything to show they have been picking up anything remotely resembling steam in the last 6 months. There still seems to be some disconnect or communications black out. Montreseur stopped streaming Pantheon stuff, haven't seen anything from Joppa in quite some time. There have been no updates of any substance since early last year except the new website, which was supposed to be some huge update that everyone was holding their breath for. All they have done are some fluff interviews, created the new website, demo'd a new zone. None of which is earth shattering, with the tools they have (world builder, unity, etc) designing zones isn't overly difficult. They purportedly have completed a demo with a couple of zones, progression up to level 10, originally slated to have 4 classes (but may have all? - haven't confirmed this) yet missed their initial pre-alpha estimate. No new lore has been posted. No new class information or game mechanics. I want a game like this to succeed as much as anyone else, but i am not hopeful with the current direction.
  20. Rauven Augur

I'm sort of in the same boat as the OP. I want a game that is an open world MMORPG. Games like WoW, SWTOR, FFXIV, and so forth are not that. They are MMORPGs sure. But open world they are not, at least not how I'd define it.

I want to play a game where I can roll a character and just play. Get into it and just do what -I- want to do. If I want story, I'll tell the damn story about -my- character myself. I don't give a damn about saving the world, helping the peasants, or helping whatever faction your forced to choose based on race, class, or starting city.

To put it shortly, I don't mind quests, but they better be sparingly used and meaningful. None of this crap about going around picking up sticks or killing boars. Stuff like the Temple of Ro quests for various classes in EQ is nice.

The other thing I want is details. Think about the small stuff in EQ that you just don't see in other games:

Animals con amiably to Druids and Rangers.
    Rogues know Thieves Cant.
    Shadowknights and Necros know Dark Speech.
    Ogres, Trolls, and Barbs have to duck in some places.
    Halflings and Gnomes are swimming in waist deep puddles.
    Humans can't see well in the dark.
    An ogre with enough work can walk around in Qeynos.
    Illusions allow you to walk in areas your race normally couldn't.
    You can BE the Bad Guy.
    The Enchanter Class.*
    The Bard Class.*
    Traps, Locked Doors, ect that can be circumnavigated by Rogues and Bards.

*Think about these classes, no other game has them like EQ. Even in EQ2 they were marginalized.

I mean those small things add up. It makes the world feel a little bit more real. Like when game balance and mechanics get set aside and challenges arise that are real and you just learn to deal with them. I know many Ogres out there who are frustrated with ducking. But you know what? They're freaking Ogres, they get to feel like Ogres, and act like them. Their race choice wasn't cosmetic. It meant something, and something Beyond stats or abilities on a hotbar.

All that is why I play on the progression server. Its the little things. Its the ability to tell my story. And screw saving the world, I'm going to make -MY- mark on it. Not some live out some other writer's fantasy.