Unsolved Quest? Korvik the Cursed / Grimtooth / North Karana

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by noudess, Dec 11, 2015.

1. noudess New Member

So this is ancient, I know. But from what I understand there are still hundreds of unsolved quests from the original content.

In North Karana, a couple of semi-rare mobs (Korvik the Cursed - human) and Grimtooth (werewolf) both drop Iron Shackles. This makes me think they are one in the same, and lycanthropy is his curse. Also, a co-incidence that they reside in the same zone as the (4) Fang Busters Cory, Buno, Nul and Fixxin? I think not.

Doing some research, I can't get the fangbusters to say much, except for Fixxin's known quest for a weapon and some general stuff about werewolves. I tried giving (1) Iron Shackle to them, they just hand it back.

Other interesting things:

- There is a bard in qeynos (Jusean) that growls when you walk by (sometimes). Related? Is he cursed also?
    - Korvik is KOS. Is that because he's just a KOS mob, or faction based? If its faction, there are no factions in North Karana my char is KOS to except Werewolf faction.
    - When Korvik attacks and dies, his emotes are "natural selection at work" and "my comrades will avenge my death". I've only seen these messages from druids. Is he a cursed druid? Maybe a surefall Glade quest?
    - I tried hailing and giving the item to the named treant, Tak Whistler, Brianna and some a_druids. Nothing. Tried a ton of /say messages regarding various keywords. nothing.
    - The item is usable on wrist/legs. Maybe if you wear both at once some effect?

Ideas? I'd like to solve this one, but sadly most just think unsolved stuff is broken or unfinished, which is highyl likely. But who knows.
    Egat and Darkark like this.
  2. Uxtalzon Augur

Let me don my Ye Olde EQ Knowledge hat for a moment.

Sentry Alechin (Paladin NPC) wanders South Karana during the day, as a werewolf by night. Both drop a locket for an Armor of Ro quest. It's more than likely Korvik the Cursed and Grimtooth are the same since they both drop the Iron Shackles.

Korvik also drops a Gypsy Medallion, and it appears gypsies assist him (according to allakhazam). First thing I'd do is make a ton of keywords and spam it to the gypsies for a response, such as "Korvik", "curse", "werewolf", "medallion", "Grimtooth", "escaped", "cure", etc. Then I'd look to Highkeep Hold and ask named NPCs like Carson McCabe, Lady McCabe, any NPC located near and in the dungeon/prison area (because you know, iron shackles). Problem with Highkeep is that there are a lot of silent NPCs and so many quests dead-end there, and even rare-spawn named drop nothing.

Next is Qeynos warrior guild/arena, where they offer a few quests pertaining to escaped prisoners. Then, Freeport. Even residents in the Karanas. No stone unturned and all that jazz. Being me, I'd try handing the shackles to everyone, everywhere. If nothing, it's probably a dead-upon-inception quest.

And yes, Jusean Evanesque is probably a werewolf, but tries to hide it. There seems to be some lore backstory that never went beyond scripted hints Jusean gives off.
    Faana, Egat, noudess and 1 other person like this.
  3. noudess New Member

On the SK comment, maybe an unknown Temple of Ro druid quest?

I didn't realize gypsies helped. I already have a spam bank of /say which has all your keywords except cure. I'll add that.

Think its possible there are (2) unique shackles, same name? I identified the one I got, just identifies as its name.

So things I need to try:

- Temple of Ro
    - handin of shackes to gypsies, qeynos arena area, HHK.

It still strikes me as odd the emotes mimick the Jaggedpine druids.
  4. noudess New Member

Werewolf talon also drops only off a gypsy or a werewolf and is for an SK quest.
  5. Sasrayk Journeyman

Didn't Brad McQuaid say something about lots of quests still unsolved to this day, back some months when he rejoined EQ? Would be great if there was a list of unsolved stuff for people to collaborate on and see if any can get solved. Ooh...The Sasrayk Files. :p
  6. Iila Augur

Those were "unsolved" because they were broken.

It was a while ago, but prathun and dzarn commented about old world quests a few times, and the general gist of it is that players have found the things that are in game. The quest lines that end with loose ends are because that's as far as a dev got 14-17 years ago.
    Beimeith likes this.
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

This.

Most of the things that haven't been found are broken. Every so often I try to ask about things like that and sometimes they let us know it's broken (Oblivion's Dark Bile) and sometimes they fix them! (13th Sphinx!)
    RPoo likes this.
  8. Baldy New Member

Not to change the topic, but on the unfinished/broken quests, tho, would be nice to have the rewards be finished for convortuem bonuses those transforming items! Oh and PoM revamp that was suppose to be part of RoF!(dead portal) lol
  9. Hayzeus Augur

You all had best be careful, or DBG will fix these super old quests and then sell them to you as a new expansion called "Unfinished Business."

They'll only charge $120 for a super deluxe version that comes with both a cat in a bag and a dog in a box as incentive.
    Sasrayk and Azbaelus like this.
  10. drew0987654 Augur

the phrase "unsolved quest" in the title really jogged my memory - it must have been 2 or 3 years ago when I became re-interested in EQ after seeing a forum dedicated to solving these quests that gave me goosebumps. completely dedicated... there was no activity for a year or so on it but the archives were full of topics with sooooo many quests that each seemed to have so many steps.

another step in the quest chain would be found and posted months after the previous one... it was always something so cryptic and seemingly random I wondered how many things these ppl had to collectively try in order to find that next step. some of these topics had "[QUEST SOLVED!]" appended to them, long after they were created, and very few if any of us know what such an accomplishment feels like after searching for years.

anyway, the awe I felt for those with all that conviction and devotion to such an old game got me wondering just what I had missed out on. why did I ever leave when there was so much yet to see? looking at the zone list that spanned hundreds more than the game began with was more than it took and I was back to stay :)

why go with any of the other mmo's when this is so much larger and mysterious? to think of all those ridiculous markers and guidance in other games next to this really goes to show how trivial and mindless they are.

EDIT: oh yeah, I just remembered a documentary on EQ where a few things were mentioned: tens of thousands of spells were in the game, it was the size of roughly a third of texas, and there were over 1,000 items in the game that have yet to be found. that was really interesting to me as well.
  11. Vazuvius Augur

To be fair some really are just unfound or uncompleted. Took 15 years for some one to finish the quest in Hole. Given Hole has a massive amount of items like that.
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Yes, but it also depends on how you look at it. A quest might still function if you hand a certain item to a certain NPC, but have the text missing from an NPC that -tells- you about the quest. That's still a "broken" quest.