Pick Zone (abuse?)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Nuttmeg, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Nuttmeg Augur

It is currently possible (and a frequent occurrence in Sebilis) to control the same named spawn in 4 separate picks. With the respawn timer, after killing the fourth instance of a spawn, there is a ~2 minute wait back in pick 0 for the mob to be up again.

Please, please, please move people that /pick back to the zone in!
  2. Works Elder

Honestly I can't imagine why that doesn't happen already. Even in causal exp camps I've had people /pick over and disrupt the camp / steal spawns. I'd be mightily annoyed if someone with a timer and the right crew kept popping into my pick just to grab names.

Anyone know what the reasoning is for not moving players to a zone line on /pick?
    Xanadas likes this.
  3. Works Elder

Edit: this was supposed to be a single post but the server choked on me and duped it. Sorry.

Anyhow - I could imagine it being to prevent people from effectively fast-traveling if they were to /pick on one side and get moved to the other side but it seems to be that would be less disruptive than effectively teleporting right in to a high-value camp across multiple instances.
  4. Skipper Augur

Hell no! I don't want to invis, travel and get to where I want to go, then see it is camped and have to /pick over and start the process all over again.

And there are good reasons some of us don't like asking for camp checks so don't use that as a comeback.
    rune00 likes this.
  5. Nuttmeg Augur

It's especially disheartening in an instance with 12 players to CC and find 6 at disco and 6 at King... fight down to the heirophant, kill one of the 2 healing golems, then see a 6 boxed mage with their 6 pets kill the named.

No surprise that they do nothing and don't respond for 4 minutes, disappear for 22 minutes, and pop right back right at the spawn point seconds before the named pops.
  6. Grish Augur

I'm sure if it put you at the zone line or succor point, it would be exploited in totally different ways and another 50 people would come here and complain about that. I'm not sure what the harm is in picking zones and killing mobs if they are up. If you want the camp in one of the instances, go hold it down and that is one less instance that the "pickers" will be able to control.

If nobody is there, then who the heck cares?
    rune00 likes this.
  7. Nuttmeg Augur

Sorry. The camp check is a very valid comeback. If there are only 6 people in the zone and they verify they are at disco, there shouldn't be a whole group appearing right at the named you are fighting to, exactly as he pops.
  8. Skipper Augur

If a camp has been abandoned, and you can't take it with no one there....
  9. Nuttmeg Augur

The problem is that my real group of 6 players cannot out DPS 6 mages with 6 pets that essentially "warp" directly onto the named mob seconds before he pops.
  10. Nuttmeg Augur

Edit: in fact, 24 legitimate players in 4 legitimate groups, 1 of each in Sebilis, Sebilis 1, Sebilis 2, and Sebilis 4 - all at the heirophant; all of these players are at the mercy of the one guy with 6 mages that pops picks every 5 minutes.
  11. Works Elder

What does this even mean?
    SnapVine likes this.
  12. Works Elder

I think the whole point of the conversation is that someone IS there and that's who cares.
  13. Grish Augur

I'd say the problem here is the mage boxes and no GM presence, not the pick instance feature.
    Works likes this.
  14. Works Elder

Not going to argue with this. I do think that if you're comparing using /pick to move across a zone vs using /pick to take spawns in multiple instances only one of those two things has a measureable impact.

GM intervention would solve a huge number of problems on TLP but I think it's pretty clear that's just never going to happen.
  15. MBear Augur

I'd like them to lengthen the timeout a bit. It obviously has downsides as well but adding a couple minutes to it would be a net positive in my opinion.
  16. Agrippa Augur

At this point, the best thing would be to allow a new instance upon request and put a cool down on the ability equal to the base respawn of zones. Hell, just limit the ability to once every 15 minutes. Who cares if someone is able to request an instanced zone solo? It's a small tradeoff to prevent this sort of griefing and /pick abuse.
  17. Poydras Augur

sending you to a different location essentially gives everyone the evac ability which affects class balance. I guess that's their issue.

They can get around that by making pickzone only work when you are near the zoneline.
    MBear likes this.
  18. AlmarsGuides Augur

Ok, since so many people comment on boxers ruining their play experience/game I have decided to give you guys the means to detect a legitimate boxer and how to kill a boxer/beat them if they're taking your mobs.

I am going to get a load of crap about this but hey, some boxers play unfair and this is a means to reduce this negative play.

First section is how to tell if a boxer is only using lavishsoft or the dread macro one.

1. Check their buffs - Are they fully buffed/ALWAYS fully buffed?
    - If their mages are using the armor buff and you're a shaman cast your HP buff on them, it will overwrite their armor buff and the mage will immediately try to buff themselves again as macro you know what can't tell that the buff was replaced, it just sees that it faded.

2. If they have a shaman and you're an Enchanter, or another class whom can increase their mana pool, do it. if they immediately cannibalize well you know why.

Those are two ways I generally use to tell whether or not they're a legitimate boxer or an evil one.

Now the section you'll all want, how to counter any box ARMY.

A box ARMY is the only type I know how to actually permanently counter without question. A box army isn't someone with 6 characters, that's a boxer. A box army is 12+

If they are using large races there's 1 surefire way to counter them that works 110% of the time without fail.

Pull the mob away from them.

No I am being dead serious. Any boxer who uses large races A: doesnt know better B: is a complete moron.

When you have more than 12 characters on /follow with someone they constantly "fall off" of each other and this interrupts all of their spells being cast. That means they must space out their characters each time they want to fight a mob otherwise none of their spells are going to be able to be casted.

This is why I use all gnomes and any good boxer you see is going to be all gnomes. Any race but gnomes can be easily countered by simply pulling the mob away. That's it it is as simple as that. They can't cast on /follow and by the time they run to you, space out all their characters and are ready to pew pew you should have the mob dead or be able to drag it even farther away.

A boxer knows how to counter another boxer, trust these words and use them wisely, please do not grief people who are being kind but if a box army is being mega unfriendly - now you know how to beat them.
    Faldy, code-zero and Agrippa like this.
  19. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

All they need to do is setup /pick to back to zone in
    Next all they need to do is set /pick to increase in time for every time you use it per 24 hour session.

Something easy like extra (x) minute per use.
    Will stop the abuse dead in it's tracks quickly.
  20. Nuttmeg Augur

I'd definitely choose a scenario where every player had an out-of-combat for at least 20 seconds trip to the zone line every 5 minutes, as opposed to a direct warp onto a named spawn point deep in a "new" dungeon every 5 minutes.