Mage 2 Box Team (Which Healer is Best)

Discussion in 'Casters' started by James, Nov 28, 2015.

1. James Augur

I plan to 2 box on the Phinigel server on 2 PC's and my primary will 100% be a Mage, now to just find the optimal healer to go with that Mage.

Could use you guys help o this since I am a novice to boxing.
  2. Blurred_Memories Augur

don't know much about healers... but don't druids get a fire debuff that would synergize with mages?
  3. Brohg Augur

Not on Phinegel, not for a long time.
    Reht likes this.
  4. Polleiden New Member

For a tlp server mage I'm not too sure, but shaman I think? Buffs for you and the pet, slows, and can throw DoT's on mobs in between healing your pet.
  5. Brohg Augur

Yeah I don't mean to suggest druid is a bad choice overall. Just the fire damage enhancer debuff isn't a factor for a while. Snare, ports, slows, ac buff, cheal, pacify, memblur, snare, spell haste, all these things are super useful so whichever priest you pick it going to earn their keep.
  6. Crystilla Augur

There is a bit more overlap with druids and mages than with the other priests with mages (due to the DS stacking issues).

• Shaman will add rooting, slow/haste, heal, DPS and other ADPS for the pet.
    • Druid will add outdoor pacifiy, snare, rooting, track, porting, heal, DPS and later on ADPS for the mage and mitigation for the pet.
    • Cleric will add all around pacify, mem blur, rooting, spell haste, best indoor puller (druid edges out on outdoors with snare), healing, DPS (on undead), melee mitigation for the pet.
    I have had friends do all 3 combinations and each is fun in their own way. Shaman may require the most maintenance of the 3 for a "box", but then again, that may not matter on Phinny server since each character is on its own machine anyway.
  7. James Augur

What worries me if I start on phiny with Mage and Shaman that the Shaman will be so high maintenance with non stop cani'ing and such, Seems Clerics buffs up, sits and heals when needed so most of my time would be on the Mage itself instead of cani'ing mana up and such as a Shaman.
  8. Prymal Journeyman

If you don't want rez, then go druid for the invis, run speed and if course ports. It will be a while before POK so you can sell ports when you're bored.
  9. Rhodz Augur

In a straight up fight nothing beats two mags but if not that...

We ran a Mag/Dru on LJ and it was great. Single pulls (harmony) were the key as well as everything else a Dru brings. No understating the ease of travel. This time it will be Mag/Mag as whatever is lost in other areas their is no substitute for quickly dead mobs. But then we dont group with others and the lifespan of the pair will be limited to getting established and moving into other classes when the gear and plat situation improves.
    Addler likes this.
  10. Yimin Augur

Mage/Shaman combo 10 out of 10

Yimin
  11. Raptorjesus5 Augur

On phinny I would choose a druid for the snares and ports. Mobs don't summon for a long while and snare + flame lick + mage pet kiting means you can take down any snareable mob without using basically any mana if needed.
  12. Rhaage Augur

in a camp, a shaman would be a better choice for duo'ing.

to get there, a druid makes it faster.

If you do shaman I would suggest troll and follow inny, the inny snare necklace will certain help offset one of the glaring weak spots in that duo.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1254
    Yimin likes this.
  13. Matari Augur

You are probably not going to like what I say, but...

It all comes down to slow. In the old content the shaman wins because of slow. However, when it comes to current content slow isn't as necessary. So shaman now, druid later. The only thing a cleric offers is resurrection.
  14. dalead Elder

I disagree. I have played all 3 combinations and the only one used regularly is the mage/clr combo. Of course this is on the highest end of the scale, but when crap hits the fan, my cleric > all. This is mostly due to the highest healing output with the least maintenance; so I can concentrate on other things.
    Addler likes this.
  15. Heatwave Journeyman

IMO Druid: track + ports > better buffs, slow, Rez, or better healing. 30+ min travel times suck bad.
    Addler likes this.
  16. Lizzarn New Member

On Phinny I'd definitely think Shaman is the way to go. Haste + Slow = Win in early EQ. The cleric's healing power doesn't shine until many, many expansions later. Then I think you'd be crazy not to switch to a cleric. Their healing makes a mage pretty much unstoppable, and a shaman's slow/haste is worthless at that point of the game. But you're a long, long way from that.