Why are people so insistent on boxing?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Vontod, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Gurgy New Member

Boxing this game, even with 6 computers is easy. Cleric is a one button class. Mages can be a one button class. Any idiot can go out and buy a Naga or some sort of keyboard that allows basic automated functions. Hell the in game system is robust enough to have any class drop their entire load with essentially one or two keybinds (enchanters and bards nonwithstanding). By playing 6 you are still pressing less buttons than one of WoW.

I agree with others in that Velious / Luclin / POP should be 3 months.. no reason the others (Classic / Kunark / DoN / LDoN / etc) need to be more than 90 days given everyone knows the content.
  2. Imdead Augur

First of all, let me state that I agree with you. However, if you don't think this will happen on Phinny you're sadly mistaken.
  3. Imdead Augur

No, it's like taking a recorder with 1 note and making it a recorder with 6 notes. It's that simple, Assist puller + pet attack ×6. I'm willing the bet there are pet walls farming bosses within 2 weeks of launch.
  4. Machen New Member

Fippy went faster than this and still had a very large and healthy casual population a couple years in. People will be just fine. Three months is plenty of time for even casual guilds to beat most of the content in most expansions with instancing.
  5. Ello-prexus Journeyman

I use it constantly. But if there's no tanks or CC in the LFG tool.. it's not like they can get conjured
  6. Brosa Augur

I didn't start boxing until around SoF and have ever since. The reason I started is because it was increasingly difficult to find a pick up group during those days when my normal group wasn't on. Then I was a 2 boxing junky (FYI Alt/Tab 2 account same box junky). I could play any time I wanted without feeling like I was wasting what playtime I had LFG. That did NOT mean I didn't group with others outside my normal group anymore. At first when I heard about this TLP server I thought I wasn't going to move from RF to it. Now the more I think about it, im going to give it a shot and see if the community is social enough to support a no box situation for me. /cross fingers
  7. Stewgottz Augur

Fippy had a great population even through GoD vote fiasco. The difference between Fippy and Phinny is people playing on Fippy didn't have two slow moving progression servers with toons likely already made and or leveled up waiting for them if Phinny turns out not to be fun for them.
  8. Tris Augur

to the original poster: I pay a monthly subscription fee of two accounts. I am not involved in Krono trading. I have one computer in my living room. the new server means i have to go out of my way to continue playing. Setting up an extra machine.

account 1 Your total time entittled on this account 10 years, 342 days
    account 2. Your total time entitled on this account 1 year 4 days

On Ragefire i can keep my 6 month lockout timer and non raid instanced server. Or
    Setup an extra machine to play on the new server Or
    Cancel one account and play only one on the new server Or
    Cancel everything.

I consider it incredibly rude of DBG to setup the new server how they did, and to call it a True Box server. So i am seriously considering option 4.
  9. Evertrek Augur

nothing wrong with boxing. don't get boxing confused with bots and farmers. with the new advanced loot option, bots and farmers, are working more efficient than ever. i'm all for boxing, but in the end i raid, group, and still support my guild...
    Kridina likes this.
  10. taliefer Augur

"i box cause i dont want to deal with/wait on other people"

"server gonna die cause phinny taking away all those people i dont wanna deal with"

Logic
  11. Zinth Augur

you do know 90 days is 3 months right?
  12. Mephtoline01 New Member

Then why not stay with servers who don't restrict boxing. Why go game where the other players are there to avoid boxing players; who want to play the game as it was meant to be played.
  13. Mephtoline01 New Member

With Ragefire and Lockjaw, there is no need for you to infest Phinegel, now is there?
  14. Machen New Member

Personally, disabled M-Q is a pretty large appeal for me. If there was a server that allowed boxing multiple toons on one computer, had instanced raids, and disabled M-Q I'd play there. There isn't, so I'll play on Phinny within the rules that DBG has established (which includes allowing me to box on multiple computers.)
  15. Vazuvius Augur

Also the fact they said they'd seek out and ban for VM, like are you joking? Do they have no understanding of how VM works?

People VM on p99 (in the highest tier guilds) and haven't been caught, and this is a server where every player interaction is monitored and actually looked at by a real person with admin powers. Give me a break.
  16. Alavaz Lorekeeper

I don't know of a single hypervisor that will not tell you flat out that the machine you are in is a virtual one. P99 doesn't really have much of a reason to check if the game is running in a VM because they restrict based on IP.
  17. Vazuvius Augur

People are out of touch with technology. You could set up 52 x 20$ HP laptops and run one EQ per and broadcast keystrokes. Or you could even have 52 boxes and only one screen. Software enables this, and continues to become more advanced. The fact DBG and furthermore the population of EQ don't understand shows exactly just how badly out of touch with reality most people who either develop, manage or play this game are.
    Imdead likes this.
  18. Vazuvius Augur

There are very basic and easy ways around any software that would detect if you are a guest or host on the PC. Some of them so simple you can google and be done in 2 minutes.

P99 checks for IP, but again that doesn't really matter whatsoever if you google how to get around it.

The reason I continue to point it out isn't because I agree or plan to use it myself, but you bet anyone who does, will. Anywhere an advantage can be gained is going to be exploited. The fact this is a 'true box' server just makes me think they have stock in PC sales somewhere.
  19. Orienn TreeHugger

So you don't have to rely on baddies to group with to do what you gotta do
  20. Alavaz Lorekeeper

I have no doubt it's possible. However, I've written scripts to check if a machine is virtual before and there so many ways to check that it would be very time consuming to cover them all up. Of course I don't know how solid their detection code is so I can't really guess how circumventable it will be.

I also don't doubt you can get around P99's IP check, but the point I was making was that their restriction scheme doesn't require that they try and determine if the machine is physical or virtual.

The idea of the "true box" server though is mainly an attempt to mitigate armies rather than obliterate them. As it stands right now, anyone can pay for a couple pieces of software and have 20-30 accounts running in minutes. The hope, is that if DBG makes it hard enough to do that, then we will see a lot less of it.