Are augs worth it?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lilura, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Isssk New Member

The easy answer is, do you really want to join X guild that requires it?

Yes, augs add u and make a nice difference in your stats/AC/HP, etc.
  2. Cicelee Augur

I always raid without pants or breastplate on. And I get invited to high end rai.....

O you mean your character's breastplate and pants. I thought you were talking about real life. Never mind me then, carry on...
    Sancus, Bandien, sifonin and 4 others like this.
  3. Rhodz Augur

The end result would be exactly the same, after playing god I dont even know how many thousands of hours I can still count the times a 1% difference would have made on one hand. None were BTW in raids, most often when things go badly they go badly LARGE.

The reward exists I just dont consider it worth the price until time to get serious in those last 5 levels. Though I should sing their praises given Ive a mule with nothing but augs filling the bank. Drop the lore and make em tradeskill if you want em to matter before that point.
  4. Coronay Augur

Yep! Prettyyy much. You are either going to win a fight or not. Back in the old days of EQ getting a new piece of gear or new weapon could really shift the tables, not so much anymore.

Augs are super awesome though and they all add up. The more HP ya have the less harder you have to heal, encounters become less stressful. just as an example.
  5. svann Augur

Level, gear, and aas are more important than augs. Focus on them first.
    But after you have those why wouldnt you work on augs?
  6. Axxius Augur

For some classes the augs matter more than for the others. For the tanks most of all. And then there are special augs that are essential for your performance, e.g. Specialize Evocation that gives casters extra mana preservation.

But it's not the whole reason why raiding guilds require them. Having every item auged with good augs shows that you care about your character. It's the easiest quality check for the guild to judge a new applicant. Somebody who doesn't care to maximize their character's potential even in such an easy way will be a bad raider.

Btw, Spell Damage from augs is irrelevant. See the Caster forum, we've been over that there.
  7. Iila Augur

What's in a character's shield aug slot is a good way to see if the person has a clue about how everquest works. It's not always a positive indicator, but it's a clear negative indicator.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, Silv and Axxius like this.
  8. Brohg Augur

Yes we all admire and are envious of the aug in your Targe of the Hive Hunter, Iila.
  9. Kearstin Elder

gear is a pretty good indicator of whether or not they have a clue, do they grab two of the clr/dru rings and have no bene pres? imagine some of these people before standardized focus effects

http://eq.magelo.com/profile/3210928
  10. Iila Augur

oh yeah, the magelo I haven't updated in two years. But that's still the same aug, so yay, I guess?

I meant more for when someone has an completely inappropriate aug there. It shows they don't know about shield AC or don't even pay enough attention to copy the people who do understand.
  11. ---Xislaben--- Augur

12. Silv Augur

My Druid doesn't know what to equip! Update Magelo zOMG!!!
    Iila likes this.
  13. Geri_Petrovna Augur

If you aren't willing to put a 150 mana aug into a 2900 mana item (to make a 3150 mana item), why would you want to raid to get a 3150 mana item?

(arbitrary numbers, but the idea is there)
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  14. sifonin Augur

Wow, 2900+ 150 = 3150 in eq... This game is more broken than we thought!

In all seriousness I agree with geris comments above, I'm just being a wisenheimer
    Geri_Petrovna likes this.
  15. fransisco Augur

so the consensus is that augs show you are willing to play 40hours a week. Going from 120k mana to 122k mana is not a relevant difference.
    Unless you are in a fight where you actually go from full mana to oom, the augs did exactly nothing.
  16. Leex Pewpewer

Pfft and that's why I use a 2hander, so no one can find out how newbie I am!

:D
  17. Crystilla Augur

Not quite, but nice try. And we already proved your last sentence incorrect.

Having good augs show you care about your character and are willing to camp something that is useful to your character. Not trying to ride on the coats of raiders who are willing to put in some extra effort (note some, not 40 hours a week ROFLMAO) to make their character the best they can without doing a lick of effort yourself.
    Mayfaire likes this.
  18. Warpeace Augur

If your a Wizard and not aug'd properly it will scream at people on the parse, there is a lot more to augs than adding 2k mana to your pool.
  19. Andronicus Elder

I have a full set of gear AND augs, but just for fun I leave off a piece of armor or two just to feel like a slacker sometimes. It's also when I let my pants sag way down.
  20. Rhodz Augur

Augs are worth some trouble at the 100+ game so in a way I agree in others not so much.
    I assume that is the point after all, if a player wont fill out his gear when it has stopped being changed out every few levels then there may well be cause for suspicion.
    How much they are worth is debatable as the drop rate or price on many is just painful for what they are, looking at you weapon damage augs.
    Still think the things should of been entirely TS but thats just me.
  21. svann Augur

You have choices. If you arent L105, or dont have all the important aas then those are way more important than augs. Way more. But if you are 105 and have your aas what else are you going to do outside of raids? Get your augs. If you dont have your augs and choose to not login outside of raids because "its not worth it" then.....