Note to Devs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by SnowballsT, Nov 24, 2015.

1. SnowballsT Journeyman

When we see all our posts about broken content and unfinished work get completely ignored not getting any Dev to even have the decency to say "we messed up quite a bit but we will fix it soon" And then we see some new TLP server pop out of the blue and have resources spent on it before the current content for paying customers is fixed, it makes for angry players which cannot be good for your paychecks in the long run.

Looking at all the staff posts over the last few days its all excitement over the new server , not a mention of patches/fixes or a well deserved apology. Many times during beta was it mentioned that the "expansion" was not ready and list of things that were pointed on in the first week were not fixed. Yet it was still pushed out. To say I am dissapointed would be an understatement. I have been playing since Kunark and stuck with EQ through its ups and downs. But this .... this .... excuse for an expansion is probably the final straw for a lot of us. If this minimal content could not be put together in the months you had when most of it is copy and paste then I can only assume that any real new and exciting content is not around the corner. The fact that on discussions during the "build up" all you could do is voice how exciting cats in bags were and push the wonderful new innovation of illusion keyring ( copy/paste idea from mount keyring) suggests the game is looking at an end. If this is the case please stop making mundane half attempts at new stuff and fix all the bugs / problems the game currently has.

/rant off

Sad let down customer
    Kronko, beryon, Blankslate and 7 others like this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

It is not up to the Developers to speak. They likely have restrictions on what they can say. It is up to Holly Longdale who is the Producer of EQ and EQ2 to talk to us. We are still awaiting her.
  3. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I was giving a lot of rope, telling people don't worry they'll fix it. They are understaffed for current expectations. I'm pretty livid now.

I sure hope we don't the quality of a patch pushed live after lunch break on a Friday this week. That's all I have to say at this time.
  4. Silv Augur

Devs do not make cats. Art team makes cats. Everyone needs to stop blaming the cats in a bag for sucking up dev time. They talked about them in a joking way because cats in a bag are funny. It wasn't the cats, k?
    gnomeboss, Felicite and DruidCT like this.
  5. Gumby Augur

[IMG]
    Hiladdar, Brohg, beryon and 6 others like this.
  6. YellowBelly Augur

I follow her on twitter and every tweet is about EQ2. I think I've seen EQ1 mentioned less then a handful of times.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  7. McDougal Augur

Tell it to the Marines. [IMG]
    Elricvonclief and Silv like this.
  8. Laronk Augur

There's more stuff broken than normal but really this is normal where is broken every expansion cycle and they're busy fixing stuff and not sitting here talking to us about it. I've done some expansion content its pretty fun
    Hiladdar, Elricvonclief and Silv like this.
  9. Elricvonclief Augur

I try very hard to remain optimistic as I truly enjoy this game. The optimism is sadly fading away.

The number of bugs, and the delays in patching are very disappointing.

I think the devs are doing a great job individually, however they are woefully overwhelmed.

I had high hopes when Daybreak was formed. Now, not so much....
  10. autofire Journeyman

"Devs do not make cats. Art team makes cats. Everyone needs to stop blaming the cats in a bag for sucking up dev time. They talked about them in a joking way because cats in a bag are funny. It wasn't the cats, k?"

EQ is allotted X as a budget for the production of a expansion. Some % of X is given to the art team for their time. Some of that time was spent on cats. The dev team was underfunded to the point where once again they put out a half finished product. perhaps the % of X that was used on cats was so small that it wouldnt have helped actually fix any of the bugs but for the average player I would hypothesis that even the most minute of bug fixes would have been preferable.

The most redeeming thing about the last 2 expacs has been the art , the team has done a great job. That said who plays a 16 year old game for the cutting edge art. I for one would have settled for a expac of stick figures if the mechanics were mostly completed and gave a balanced level of useful abilities to all classes.

The post should probably been titled Note to Holly (not that she reads these forums he should have tweeted it).I feel the OP's intention was to to address his frustration at the resources spent on meaningless money sinks like the illusion keyring(this was dev time) and the cats. Resources the could have been exerted to putting out a more finished project. With the exception of AA's section ( Dzarn continues to be amazing)the beta forums are practically devoid of meaningful interactions from the devs. I certainly think they could have prioritized work on group and raid progression over superfluous money grabs
    Hiladdar and Elricvonclief like this.
  11. Risiko Augur

Contrary to the belief of people that don't play on TLP servers, ***ALL TLP PLAYERS ARE PAYING CUSTOMERS!!!!***

You can not play on a TLP server unless you have all access. The only servers that FREE Players can play on are LIVE servers.
  12. Riou EQResource

When the Dogs come out in a month or 2, they will be blamed instead :p
    Elricvonclief and Silv like this.
  13. Ruven_BB Augur

Actually TLP players are subscribers, and some that subscribe don't even pay using Kronos for membership from in game activities.

You don't need to pony up 140 bucks for an expansion to play progression. Some folks that "paid" for the expansion are pretty upset getting baited and switched, and its very likely that resources used for the upcoming progression server could have (some would argue should have) been used for an unfinished product presold.

Ruven
  14. autofire Journeyman

"You can not play on a TLP server unless you have all access. The only servers that FREE Players can play on are LIVE servers"

I think you are reading into this the OP didn't imply that tlp players do not pay to playthis game. He was stating that instead of focusing on finishing the broken half of a expac that was rushed out. they are being told to focus on rushing out yet another project. and where as the vast majority of players on live pay the same monthly subs the tlp players do they had to pay for the right to even beta test the product( a beta where most of the testing was ignored) with very little info about the product given before purchasing. Where as with the new progression server the players have been told most of what to expect from the buggy half finished product that will be rushed out and they can decide if they wish to purchase on a month to month basis.

All of this in the end is just so the everquest team can boost their final quarter revenue to continue to justify their jobs. there is nothing wrong with this except how they chose to allocate there resources and the manner in which this was/is be presented to us.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  15. Nolrog Augur

By that argument, all TBM players are paying customers as well. And the difference is that TBM content is broken, while TLP content is more "not how I like it."
    Hiladdar and Elricvonclief like this.
  16. Roshen Brand Manager

The team continues to work getting things fixed up for The Broken Mirror. If you look back just two business days, you'll see this patch that has quite a lot of fixes.

The team is still working on making improvements to The Broken Mirror. This hasn't stopped because of the announcement of a new server.

If you look back at MY posts over the last 24-hours, you'll see several comments from ME on the new server. Note that I'm not a dev that's working on bug fixes or game improvements.

If you look back before the last 24-hours, you'll see several of our devs active in threads, working to get more information to fix bugs. Just because our devs don't post on EVERY bug doesn't mean they aren't aware and aren't working on fixes.

--

Everyone here will agree that expansion bugs are something that is "not awesome."

Thank you for your patience as the team continues to work to get things fixed up for players. We're grateful for your continued support!
    Khoza, Brohg, Elricvonclief and 2 others like this.
  17. Vazuvius Augur

How about we just get basic things working, like the bugged missions/quests in progression and the fact you can't use any jewelery, shields, etc because the items weren't allocated the proper tags, you know...basic stuff, then you can go improve whatever you want after it works.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  18. Blankslate Elder

Your efforts to prop up the expansion are laudatory.
    The expansion, however, simply should not have been released in it's current "beta" state.

You can put lipstick on a pig .........
    Hiladdar likes this.
  19. Iila Augur

By several, do you mean Augur? Maybe Hludwolf if he counts as a dev instead of a coder.

We've gotten basically no information about this broken mess of an expansion.
    No one's said a thing about the hilariously awful procs.
    No one's said anything about the raid that was broken by adding a new mechanic on the patch from beta to live, or when the same raid was broken by again adding another untested mechanic in the patch to fix the other broken mechanic.
    No one said a thing about raid chests dropping group loot, spells, and even collection pieces. Until the patch notes.
    No one has said a thing about the (non)evolving spells.
    No one said a thing about the progress task that was broken by making the NPC unattackable.
    No one has said a thing about the broken achievements.
    No one has said a thing about the new augs that won't fit in slots they should.
    No one has said a thing about anything item or spell related since beta started.
    Getting the idea?

But there's plenty of posts about a new TLP server that we know is going to be using dev time.

We just spent $35 on an "expansion" that was pushed live in worse condition than some expansions were in at the start of their betas. And your post is the first one acknowledging that it's "not awesome", a week after launch.
    Insanekitty, Hiladdar, Sheex and 11 others like this.
  20. Kolani Augur

See, Roshen, I think more people are upset about the quick announcement and impending opening of Phinny than they are honestly about bugs. We expect them at this point, but seeing you guys basically turn around from the launch of a broken expansion pushing a new TLP server, that's not reassuring for us. As bad as we complained back then, in the pre-Holly days, quashing bugs would be a priority right now, even if we had to delay the promised by end of the year TLP gimmick server. It just seems to us right now that you pushed The Broken Mirror out the door because you needed to free up dev time for Phinny. If that's the case, we're completely justified in our anger.