Windows 10 - Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gesiah, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Gesiah Elder

I got a pop-up the other day to "Learn More" about windows 10. I click it and it starts downloading the new OS! I stopped the download / installation and it is still queued in my downloads for later. I'm still...dubious...regarding Windows 10 after working on computers with the gosh darn awful windows 8 (I REALLY HATE WIN 8). What experiences do you guys (and gals) have with using 10. Should I keep my trusty Win 7?? And lastly...I don't want to bug out my EQ installation after just coming back to play (on TLP that is...yay drama!)

I appreciate any and all input! Thanks!
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Lianeb Augur

I have nothing bad to say about Windows 10 so far.

I like it, one thing i do not like is the desktop is in not on Alt tab when you are tabbing through Windows, though i can Hit Windows d now.
    Gesiah of Bertox likes this.
  3. Feradach Augur

My only complaint is that alt-tab flipping back and forth between my three EQ instances is more painful now that I've upgraded to 10. With 8.1 I could hold down alt and tap tab two times really fast to cycle through all three. Now with 10 I have to hit tab a lot slower to cycle through. It's annoying, but something I'll get used to I guess.

Maybe it's time to finally look at IS Boxer? I dunno.
  4. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

windows is the best, as long as you know which and when to jump to next one.
    dosX.NortonCommander(ooold) -> win95/8 -> winXPsp1 -> win7sp1 -> win10
    For what it's worth win10 looks/works almost exactly like 7 did, although I heard you can set it up like 8 too.
  5. Gesiah Elder

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll let it download overnight and see what happens. I can always revert back if I don't like it I suppose :)
  6. Weverley Augur

I move from 7 to 10 and found it very good for the most part.The search at bottom left is only thing i don't like but doesn't change anything as far as everquest is concerned.
  7. Ragbert Elder

Be aware that pretty much all activity and information on your computer is automatically snooped on Windows 10.
    Leeanni, Sancus and moogs like this.
  8. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

Right click on the search icon in the task bar go to Search and remove it or make it into an icon then.
  9. Stickietoes Augur

You can remove it by right clicking the taskbar and going to the search thingy, same way to bring it back
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  10. Stickietoes Augur

My only complaint about windows 10 is that I've crashed more times in 2 weeks than I have in 2 years
  11. moogs Augur

General advice I give at work is if you have Windows 7 and are happy with it, stick with it. If you have Windows 8, upgrade to 10.
  12. moogs Augur

Microsoft says you can opt out of this, but that's been proven to be a lie. The privacy settings don't actually change much.
  13. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

Windows 10 is free because it comes with its own built in ad and spyware.

If you want to play the classic built in games, be prepared to watch 30 second ad videos or otherwise pay for it:
    [IMG]

Their browser also bombards you with news, which is really distracting when you just want to look up something:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

That stuff is also on the start menu. You can use other browsers, customize the start menu, and obviously no one wants to play Solitaire any more, but I find it pretty disconcerting.

The main issue I've had with it is that I use an nvidia video card, and it doesn't have 100% working drivers. Most of the time when I wake my PC from sleep mode, the drivers don't load and I have to do a hard shutdown/restart. Even then it doesn't always work. Really wish I'd stuck with Windows 7 at this point, but I read that Windows 7 also has a lot of the same user information collection that 10 does.
    Zunnoab and Leeanni like this.
  14. Gesiah Elder

That's a deal breaker for me! I still play Solitaire / Chess - especially when my internet is down, which is frequent during the winter months for some odd reason (probably because I live in the boonies). I'm going to hold off on this one. I also have an nvidia graphics card and it would be a bummer if it didn't work right. Not to mention my photoshop CC applications I run for work daily. I would never use microsoft's browser, even though it's been renamed and branded as "better". Better is subjective.
    Leeanni likes this.
  15. Viper1 Augur

If you play games other than EQ, newer games and want to take advantage of the new graphics hardware, you'll want win10 for the new DirectX. Nvidia will fix whatever driver issues they may have so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  16. Darkark Augur

I feel a great disturbance in the Development Process, as if millions of software developers are crying out in terror as this advice is dispensed, yet they are somehow resigned to dealing with Windows 7 in the future the same way that they are dealing with Windows XP now -- with unfathomable disdain.
  17. Porterz73 Augur

I must echo Moogs advice and say if Win 7 is working for you stick with it.

I'm also in agreement about Win 10 being far better than Win 8.

My Windows preference list is as follows

Win7>Win10>WinXP>Win8>Win95>Win98>WinME>Vista

Tim Cook Quote
    "When an online service is free, you're not the customer. You're the product."
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Some of the features that cause privacy concerns are being patched into windows 7 and 8 so you will still get them.
    Motherlee likes this.
  19. Motherlee Augur

Oh no! My Radeon R7250X was not working right under Win7. I upgraded early as possible to test it on Win10. After many months of trying to make Gigabyte understand it was a driver problem, I just told them to send me an equivalent model Nvidia! And now I hear that the Nvidia has driver problems too? WTH? Is writing stable drivers out of style now?
  20. Polixenes Journeyman

Going from XP to Win 7 made so many of my favourite games unplayable, I'm dreading going to Win 10 and losing more.
  21. Vetplayer Elder

Since Windows 10 reports back basically everything you do and what is going on..( even your friends lists, your email contacts lists .. etc ) I READ online. A lot, your internet is being used more then it was before.. processes running a lot more then normal.. probably heating up the pc more then normal too.
    Internet bottle neck will be clogged with uploading to MS your PC activity and keystrokes. Internet plan used up more. If you have slow internet .. you may experience some delays. This is why people have issues because of the consistent flow of uploading your info to MS clogging the internet bottleneck.

Basically going back into time. With gaming, and XP years ago ( Especially Vista ).. there was blackviper com website to direct you how to twink your operating system to stop processes running so you could open the bottle neck of your internet. If you tip a pepsi bottle upside down and watch the pepsi come out.. how much pepsi would come out if you had if full of marbles? not as much. Same with your processes and data running in and out of your pc.. the ' spyware' they say Windows 10 has.. reporting your info back to MS goes a step back into time by clogging the bottle neck of your pepsi bottle. Your internet speed you pay for.

The only thing that is a plus is, it is not dial up or DSL speeds anymore.. Those with Cable or fast speed internet probably won't notice much of a difference.. Thus MS can almost get away with it.

As far as Direct X 12.. well, do you have a BRAND NEW expensive graphic card to even take advantage of this Direct x 12?

PS,
    NAY!