Epics 3.0

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by thedragon, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Triconix Augur

It was the best group weapon in the game for your class at the time and was acquired through group missions. Were you expecting a raid level item given out for doing non raid content? I'm still failing to see your point.
  2. Raptour_MT Elder

How about an epic Aug that levels off total spent AA, So it always gets more powerful down the road. Give some sort of class specific proc similar to the shawl aug, but beefier.
    Mayfaire likes this.
  3. Axxius Augur

Necromancers have just celebrated the 11th anniversary of their Epic 2.0.

When you ask for Epic 3.0 - think about the necros. The poor, innocent necros, cursed and bound to that item for all eternity. It happened to them, it can happen to you.

Be careful what you wish for.
    Sancus and Silv like this.
  4. Silv Augur

At least we have weapon ornaments now in case it had a horribly ugly graphic!
  5. Viper1 Augur

They should have had an epic add-on quest for each class in every expansion since velious that would upgrade it to bis for that expansion. That would have made epics a central part of the game for everyone rather than being outdated so soon after you complete it.
    Vrinda likes this.
  6. Axxius Augur

I aug my weapons with the necro epic ornament to remind me of their eternal torment every time I hear somebody asking for epic 3.0.

#JeSuisNecro
    Whitecloudx and Silv like this.
  7. Enkel Augur

I love the the mix sarcasm and realistic design flaw that is in this post. But we both know we'd like an affect like that on our weapons :(
  8. Axxius Augur

Yet the devs refuse to make it a permanent addition to new necro weapons. For 11 years now.

They missed a perfect opportunity with the HoF class weapons when they could have given you a long overdue stat upgrade.
  9. Whulfgar Augur

in the podcast they stated Too much resources, for so little gain. So 3.0's will never happen.
  10. Iila Augur

Thanks Chandrok

Thandrok
    Sancus, Silv and Uxtalzon like this.
  11. Uxtalzon Augur

The class weapon stats back then were terrible, and finally upgraded just before/after COTF's release. The expansion's content was also slowly staggered, so it was easier and faster to get a Tier 1 raid weapon. By the time the stats were improved, guilds were already phasing out RoF raid progression.

Imagine guilds beating all of RoF and letting the final combine piece rot because many didn't care to complete ALL the group/solo content and collections, while players who did and couldn't obtain that last piece.
  12. mackal Augur

That is also horrible design decision. Want to join an end game raiding guild? Well better do this giant quest chain! Doing epics is great, but it greatly limits the devs choices. And pigeonhole a class into a single weapon for 14 expansions is also horrible. It does mean the weapon was truely epic, but how many necros wish they could upgrade :p (I do see magelo rankings has necro w/o their epic equipped, but I assume that's just for the rankings)

I also can't think of any good solution to getting around necros having to have their epics.
  13. Vlorg Augur

the 2.0s still pose design problems 11 years later ( necro being the most obvious one... but bard-shaman clickies are a big one too... SK abilities stagnated for several years due to their epic aswell) I doubt the devs (assuming they have time.. which they don't) would want to recreate that.

that sweet balance spot for clickies is basicly impossible to reach...

instead of creating 16 different epic quest ( 15 of them I won't experience) i'd rather have them create 16 good quest awarding aug/item for everyone ( parrot aug, gunthak clicky and such).
  14. shadowgod Augur

Just make one quest that is for all classes. They had time for hand aug in TDS they could just as easily do that for an epic 3.0.

Why not tie it to achievements even ? If you do all the group content you get the group 3.0 once you finish the raids you get the raid version. You don't need 16 quest for it to be creative and challenging.

The real issue they're not telling us is itemization if they do all the work for a 3.0 and it becomes something you don't equip an expansion later all that work was wasted.
    Mintalie likes this.
  15. mackal Augur

Yep. And if they do something like give an aug that has an upgrade to the focus on the epic (trying to solve nec issue ...) they have to continue to balance content around this, which is a whole other issue, although a few classes it's not that bad of an issue (the ones that lower spell hate for example, although, those classes probably wouldn't really bother, which is another issue ...)
  16. Leex Pewpewer

I had no issues getting mine done before the release, I thought it was awesome. The solo/group stuff was very easy, maybe if anything just a little time consuming.

Mage class RoF weapon was awesome, got out a ton of pets to help "of many".
  17. Raynrace Augur

Im all for another shot at class specific weapons but fully against any kind of redo of an epic weapon ever.

It makes no sense at all.

Fixing the necro epic problem with a self buff or something seems like a much better use of time.
  18. Triconix Augur

On the other hand, I find it impressive an item can remain relevant for so long. I'd be proud to own a weapon superior to all others for 11 years. /shrug

Besides the hp/mana and some extra stats, does using the same weapon really matter in the grand scheme of things? Heroics are pretty trivial upgrades so those aren't going to be a huge difference maker. SD, Clar, HA are also trivial so no reason to worry about those. That leaves like 3k hp/mana. Our stats are so bloated now, I don't think 2% increase makes a difference.They miss out on potentially different item graphics. We have ornaments now, problem fixed!

There are times where I use older weapons because they don't have an ornament for it because I liked their look. It has no bearing on me what the stats are.
    Vrinda and Spellfire like this.
  19. Brudal Augur

Would you wear your epic over current weapons if by wearing it you gained 8% more mitigation and could aug that (2.5) for 10% more?
  20. Triconix Augur

Ummm is this a serious question? F**k yes. My job is to tank. If an item gives me 10% more mitigation simply by wearing it over all the other stuff I'd wear it forever. It could look like Bigfoot's sun-dried turd with no ornament slot available and I'd still wear it for that huge of a mitigation boost.
    Mayfaire and Vrinda like this.